Reaction score
Giants TE Martellus Bennett uses ‘Spidey-senses’ to save fan who fell from stands at MetLife Stadium
By Doug Farrar
Mon, Nov 26, 2012 11:10 AM EST

New York Giants tight end Martellus Bennett was credited with three catches for 44 yards in his team's 38-10 rout of the Green Bay Packers on "Sunday Night Football." However, it was a fourth catch Bennett made after the game, for a grand total of 15 feet, that made him a real hero.

After the game, Bennett was interacting with fans near the field entrance to the Giants' locker room when a middle-aged man fell from a railing several feet above the field where the fans generally interact with the players after games.

"I was doing what I usually do, moseying to the locker room and meandering around," Bennett said. "Naturally, I just wanted to step back, but I did the righteous thing and I stepped up. I caught him, I saved his life, I tapped into my inner superhero, which I do have."

"Spidey-senses," to be specific.

"I'm usually a ninja, but my Spidey-senses told me he was going to take a fall, so I saved his life," Bennett modestly recalled. "He owes me his first-born or something. Actually I don't want that. Maybe a sandwich or something."

The fan might be a bit short on sandwich money -- after Bennett saved his bacon, the man was accosted by Jersey state troopers and taken away to face undisclosed charges. So, bail cash could be a pressing concern.

"That sucks," Bennett said.

What also sucked for Bennett was the helmet-to-helmet hit put upon his person by Packers safety Jerron McMillian in the fourth quarter.

"I just got the wind knocked out of me. It [ticked] me off, so I wanted to kick his [butt]," Bennett told Jenny Vrentas of NJ.com. "I was mad. I tried to go after him, but they wouldn't let me. ... I didn't see him; he came out of nowhere. But it's part of the game. If he gets fined, I just wish that money would go to my Wells Fargo account, which they should start doing. They do give it to charity, which is fine."

Fortunately, a concussion test proved that Bennett was fine.

"I passed it with flying colors, like I do all tests. Like Doogie Howser."

And that was a fortunate occurrence, as Bennett had more important work to perform after the game.

"I just did what any superhero would do: Saved his life," Bennett said of the postgame rescue. "I'm like Scott Summers. You know who Scott Summers is? Cyclops off X-Men."

Bennett tripped over a cameraman when he saved the fan, but there were no injuries.

"I felt like Prince, because everybody was like, 'You OK? You OK?' And I was like, 'Yeah, I'm fine.' They were helping me up."

As well they should. That's what people do for superheroes. And Doogie Howser.

Top Bottom