Reaction score
At least one member of the Dallas Cowboys hopes three-time Pro Bowl quarterback Tony Romo has to earn the right to retain his starting job.

The Cowboys went 1-5 when Romo started last season. They won four of nine games started by 38-year-old backup Jon Kitna after Romo suffered a broken collarbone, including a stretch of three wins in four games immediately after head coach Wade Phillips was fired and replaced by offensive coordinator Jason Garrett.

"I loved playing with Kitna," tight end Martellus Bennett said during a Tuesday appearance on ESPN 103.3's Ben & Skin Show. "Kitna is one of my favorite people to play with. Just being out there on the field with that guy just makes you play even harder. He made some things happen in limited time, so I think if he got a longer chance, he'd be able to do more.

"I hope there's a chance for a quarterback competition this year. Every position, I think we need to put more competition into it."

Bennett, who has 68 catches for 702 yards and four touchdowns in three seasons since the Cowboys drafted him out of Texas A&M with a second-round pick, added that he thought Romo was "awesome."

Bennett isn't the first Dallas offensive player to suggest that Kitna could compete with Romo if given the chance. On the night Romo was injured, receiver Roy Williams declared that Kitna "is just as good," a point Williams reiterated on a few occasions.

However, Dallas' decision-makers have no plans for a quarterback competition. Owner/general manager Jerry Jones has made it very clear that he's committed to Romo, who has three seasons remaining on a six-year, $67.4 million contract, as the Cowboys' franchise quarterback for the foreseeable future.

Romo has a 39-22 record as the Cowboys' starter during the regular season, having thrown for 16,650 yards and 118 touchdowns and setting franchise records for yards and touchdown passes in a season. Green Bay's Aaron Rodgers, San Diego's Philip Rivers and Hall of Famer Steve Young are the only quarterbacks with better career passer ratings than Romo's 95.5.

Kitna embraces his role as Romo's backup. Kitna, a former starter for the Seahawks, Bengals and Lions, threw for 2,365 yards and 16 touchdowns with a passer rating of 88.9 last season.

"[Romo] understands that my role here is to support him and to serve him the best way that I can," Kitna said during the season. "There's no awkwardness at all. He understands that, and more importantly, I understand that. That's my job."

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I'm hoping the Raiders lose Zach Miller to free agency because the Raiders and Maretellus deserve each other. They would probably give up a 2nd for him.

Reaction score
What is the problem with a guy saying he hopes there's open competition for jobs? IMO, it should be that way every camp. I want the best players on the field, not the guys with the biggest salaries or the most popular guys.

Reaction score
What is the problem with a guy saying he hopes there's open competition for jobs? IMO, it should be that way every camp. I want the best players on the field, not the guys with the biggest salaries or the most popular guys.

That isn't what he's saying. He's saying, if you can read between the lines, that he prefers Kitna and that he hopes Kitna is the starter next year.

In a nutshell, he's calling out his QB.

Besides, what business does Bennett have speaking about competition for playing time. The guy has more talent than Witten and John Phillips, yet is our #3 tight end.

DoomsdayDefense

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Bennett just lacks sound judgement. You don't call out your franchise quarterback. You just don't do it.

I personally hope that this leads to a draft day trade. If we get a 5th, I'm happy.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
I think this is a veiled comment in regards to his own situation.

Although I may be giving Tellus' intelligence too much credence.

Mr.Po

Reaction score
Made no sense to waste a 2nd rounder on a TE regardless of what type of talent he was suppose to possess when you have a perennial pro bowler in the prime of his career in front of him. Bennetts an immature head case. His lack of numbers isn't entirely his fault but this team was never going to take a serious dent out of Witten's touches. For what he is asked to do a late round pick or a FA that year would have been just as efficient.

Jerry failed to pull the trigger on a trade 2 years ago when some teams came calling. Blinded by the allure of his yet unfulfilled potential and hoping he would mature into the player he thought he was drafting. Now based on some character issues and minimal production his once promising trade value has plummeted. He'll most likely leave after this year in FA as another modest player whose value was minimal and didn't live up to his draft status.

Reaction score
Think a trade with Denver for their second round pick would work? I know they need a TE.

His value is far below that of a second rounder, IMO.

Hey, as long as Bennett just goofs off, he's fine.

If you're trying to make a reference to peoples defenses of Dez, you're off the mark.

Let me know when Dez starts making under handed comments about his quarterback, and more importantly, not practicing/playing hard.

The moment Dez's on field production fails to meet his immense talent, you'll have a point.

Reaction score
Romo vs. Kitna isn't a story

Romo vs. Kitna isn't a story

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I like Martellus Bennett, the young, underachieving tight end for the Cowboys, but there is no way in the world the Cowboys will have an open competition at quarterback between Tony Romo and Jon Kitna.

That's like saying the Cowboys should open up the competition at outside linebacker for the job currently held by DeMarcus Ware, considered the best in the game.

Bennett went on The Ben & Skin Show on ESPN 103.3 FM on Tuesday. His comment: "Kitna is one of my favorite people to play with. Just being out there on the field with that guy makes you play even harder. He made some things happen in limited time, so I think if he got a longer chance, he'd be able to do more. I hope there's a chance for a quarterback competition this year. Every position, I think we need to put more competition into it."

Bennett also said Romo was awesome, but there's a belief Romo can learn a lot from Kitna from a leadership standpoint. Even Jason Garrett has said as much.

"I think you have to make it good," Garrett said at the NFL owner's meetings last month. "Whenever you’re in one of those situations, you have to make the best of it. You have to, from his standpoint. You look at it from a different perspective. He’s been in it. He’s been in the forefront of this whole thing for the last 3.5 years, and now that gets taken away from you. So for him, I know it was hard. Initially you go from being the starting quarterback to, 'I’m not even playing, I’m not even dressing, I’m not practicing.'

"All these things. It’s like getting the rug pulled out from beneath you, but now you have to get your feet righted and [say] 'What do I need to do? I need to get my shoulder, my collarbone better first and foremost, stay engaged with the football team and learn and learn.' And when you have a guy like Jon Kitna playing and you see how he goes about his business ... we’re not asking Tony to be Jon Kinta, but if you have your eyes and ears open you can’t help but learn from a guy like that who is a real professional."

Let's be honest: Kitna isn't better than Romo. In fact, when Roy Williams said he believes in Kitna, after Romo went down with that broken collarbone against the Giants, there was a thought he would get more catches.

Williams had five touchdown passes with Romo, none with Kitna and had three games with just one catch and four more with just two catches.

All this talk about an open competition at quarterback between a creaky 38-year-old quarterback and a 30-year-old in his prime is just silly. Bennett can have an opinion, but it doesn't count -- especially when it comes to the quarterback position. If Jerry Jones or Garrett say something about it, then you have an issue.

But Bennett saying it doesn't make it an issue.

Reaction score
That isn't what he's saying. He's saying, if you can read between the lines, that he prefers Kitna and that he hopes Kitna is the starter next year.

In a nutshell, he's calling out his QB.

Besides, what business does Bennett have speaking about competition for playing time. The guy has more talent than Witten and John Phillips, yet is our #3 tight end.

Nah.. you're assuming wayyy too much about what he said to take that away from it.

All he said was he enjoyed playing with Kitna and that he hopes there is open competition at all positions next season. Didn't say he even thought Kitna would win, just that he liked the guy. He said Romo was awesome too.

Nothing wrong with it.. its a non issue imo.

Reaction score
You would think by now our players would know that anything they say will get blown up by media with a negative slant.

Top Bottom