GloryDaysRBack

Quality Starter
Reaction score
According to McShay on tv.

Let this guy get past TB at 7 and I'm almost certain Jerry will go get this kid.

Tonight will be a great night if we get this guy

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Tonight will be a great night if we get this guy

If the docs are saying Romo is a huge question mark or that he likely can only play another yr or so, ok.

If the docs are saying Romo is good, taking a QB in round one is beyond fucking ignorant for this team this year.

NoDak

UDFA
Reaction score
If the docs are saying Romo is good, taking a QB in round one is beyond fucking ignorant for this team this year.

Speaking of beyond fucking ignorant...

Waiting to try and find a franchise QB until well after the need is kicking you in the face. There is nothing wrong with a QB waiting for a year or two and learning from the bench. Or have you forgotten the abyss of the post Aikman years?

jnday

UDFA
Reaction score
Speaking of beyond fucking ignorant...

Waiting to try and find a franchise QB until well after the need is kicking you in the face. There is nothing wrong with a QB waiting for a year or two and learning from the bench. Or have you forgotten the abyss of the post Aikman years?

I have read that it is stupid not to have a QB in place when Romo retires, but the same ones that post that stuff don't want to use a pick on a QB or either they say wait till next year.

Reaction score
The only issue I would have with it are the cap ramifications with Romo's extension. Contract slotting takes that concern out a bit.

But if the plan is to draft him and have him learn from Romo for a season, I think that takes some of the circus aspect out of it. Still, the heat Romo would feel would be ridiculous... way more than what he's ever faced IMO.

Is Manziel even legal to drink yet? Having him sit might be best case scenario for him.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
The only issue I would have with it are the cap ramifications with Romo's extension. Contract slotting takes that concern out a bit.

But if the plan is to draft him and have him learn from Romo for a season, I think that takes some of the circus aspect out of it. Still, the heat Romo would feel would be ridiculous... way more than what he's ever faced IMO.

Is Manziel even legal to drink yet? Having him sit might be best case scenario for him.

Except that means in 2015 we either take a $37M cap hit letting Romo go or we have a guy sitting on the sideline taking up $27M in cap space. Like I've said from the get go, Manziel will have to outperform the same horrid Defense that Romo has to rely on every week.

It's not like Garrett is going to suddenly get all creative with Manziel at the helm.

I don't dislike Manziel at all. He's fun to watch and I think he will be very good in the league. He is just the absolute wrong decision for this franchise at this time. With that huge contract Jerry gave Romo we are stuck for the next 3 years, maybe 2 if we designated him a June 1st cut before the 2016 season. Honestly, if Romo goes down in either (both) of these next 2 seasons, I'd rather trot out Orton or Weeden, get Garrett's unimaginative ass out of here, and lose badly enough to force Jerry to make real changes.

Reaction score
If anything, this is cowboys pumping out misinformation trying to get teams to trade up ahead of us and pushing another player down.

Reaction score
Except that means in 2015 we either take a $37M cap hit letting Romo go or we have a guy sitting on the sideline taking up $27M in cap space. Like I've said from the get go, Manziel will have to outperform the same horrid Defense that Romo has to rely on every week.
Yeah, that's more detail than I went in to, but that's what I was getting at with cap ramifications. I suppose you could try to justify having Manziel starting at a rookie wage scale in year two and Romo sitting the sideline taking up so much cap space by saying you have 2 great QBs who take up $30 m in cap space combined... Not saying it's a great idea, and the cap ramifications alone make it a mess. But the mistake was giving Romo 6 years after his first back surgery at 33.

It's not like Garrett is going to suddenly get all creative with Manziel at the helm.
Agreed. But Manziel is probably more risk-taker than Romo, and Jones will probably coach Garrett to let Manziel do what he does.

I don't dislike Manziel at all. He's fun to watch and I think he will be very good in the league. He is just the absolute wrong decision for this franchise at this time. With that huge contract Jerry gave Romo we are stuck for the next 3 years, maybe 2 if we designated him a June 1st cut before the 2016 season. Honestly, if Romo goes down in either (both) of these next 2 seasons, I'd rather trot out Orton or Weeden, get Garrett's unimaginative ass out of here, and lose badly enough to force Jerry to make real changes.
It's the wrong decision because of Romo's contract and the cap.

It would probably be best for the team to tank with Romo out and get higher draft picks for the next couple of years. But I seriously doubt Jerry ever makes real, sustained changes.

GloryDaysRBack

Quality Starter
Reaction score
When can we realistically get rid of romo? Two years? I'm ok w manziel on the bench for two years.. Fuck, romo isn't staying healthy for two more years anyway

GloryDaysRBack

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Gtfoh... You fucks are saying no to manziel bc of Garrett? That bozo will be gone in 8 months

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
June 1st cut before the 2016 season and that would still hurt. He will be a huge chunk of the cap at least until the 2017 season no matter what happens.

Top Bottom