ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I'm not a Texas fan and don't know the inner politics of it all, but why is Mack Brown in any position to call any of his own shots? I just don't see where he's better than average at best. Maybe he's better than Mackovic and David McWilliams and the guys before him, but that isn't saying anything.

UT might be the best job in the country, and it -should- be a perennial power.

Reaction score
I don't know why he can't be fired. He has a $2.75 m buyout in his contract. Worst case scenario just pay him that money and be done with it.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Exactly. That's nothing to UT. What's there to negotiate? Mack just threatening to sue (like Jamail was claiming) if they force him out? That would just piss me off if I were a UT fan, even one who liked Mack.

BTW, since you're here Pep, can you think of any grounds for a lawsuit like Jamail was threatening in a case like this? I don't know what it would be.

Reaction score
I don't think they want to fire such a decorated coach. He had quite a lot of success there prior to 2011 and I'm sure he has some strong powerful allies there by this point. Also, his teams have never been embroiled in any sort of scandals or NCAA sanctions like the other powerhouse programs (USC, OSU, and even Oregon, Auburn, etc). He ran a good clean program for the most part, and I know he's very respected there. It's essentially an FSU situation all over again. Not sure if Bowden got paid to finally leave there or what though.

Reaction score
Exactly. That's nothing to UT. What's there to negotiate? Mack just threatening to sue (like Jamail was claiming) if they force him out? That would just piss me off if I were a UT fan, even one who liked Mack.

BTW, since you're here Pep, can you think of any grounds for a lawsuit like Jamail was threatening in a case like this? I don't know what it would be.
I'm not real educated on the inner workings of the UT athletic department, though I'm getting more so by the day. Just passing along what I'm reading... Apparently when Dodds extended Mack's contract back almost 2 years ago they added in that if Mack is not coaching then he gets paid $500k per year through 2020 (6 more years -- which would be another $3m). Not real sure, but that sounds like it's in addition to the buyout.

Also, like UVA is saying, Mack is personal friends with Jamail and McCombs, and he could threaten to fracture the relationship between those guys and the school if he's not treated fairly.

The only thing I can think he could sue about would be the enforcement of the contract, which if they buy him out per the terms of the contract, there's really nothing to sue about, unless he has some other dirt/blackmail on the school or board.

Reaction score
Man there is so much shit out there on this, I have wasted half the day...

Mortensen is saying UT will be going after Jim Harbaugh. That would seem unlikely given he's going to be coaching in the playoffs in January.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
That's weird because Peter King did his Ticket show this morning and he brought up Jim Harbaugh totally out of the blue. The Musers thought he was crazy.

And good point on the dirt/blackmail angle. Didn't think of that one. LOL

Reaction score
saban_gif_medium.gif

Reaction score
McPhaul's comments from The Orange Report on Blog Talk Radio

* We've been talking about this for how long? at least 6 weeks...
* My sources have never deviated away from that (Saban to Texas)
* Sources have been standing firm about our chances
* Heard it is "all but a done deal"
* Originally heard announcement will be on Monday (but most likely will be on Tuesday morning now)
* Everything delayed due to Mack holding off on his announcement, has delayed Saban announcement
* "Dominos are beginning to fall"
* "By this time next week we should be sitting pretty"
* "Will not say 100%" -- "removing that term from his vocabulary"

* regarding Saban's contract: "there's never been another one like it, half public and half private"
* Includes side deal that may not be known to anyone (???)

* "Let's celebrate last year (2013 season) and the last 16 good years Mack has been with us"

* Host: what have we done to keep Mack from meddling?
* "The hiring of Patterson alleviated a lot of that, in addition to the new power brokers"
* "Having the new power brokers in charge (hicks brothers and co) ushers in a new area for the University of Texas"
* Says Saban will have the free will to install a "winning environment"

* Host: about Mack pushing back for more, what was done today to wrap that up?
* a: "There was delay because Mack was strong-arming us"
* "7-10 year contract at $1m per year"
* "Bigger buyout" and a "position comparable to what they gave DKR"
* Included "private money that had already been poneyed up but that didn't happen, so we had to come up with more money"
* "He made out pretty well" (editorial comment - understatement)
* "He went out kicking and screaming"
* "He got his share" and we should "concentrate on something positive going forward"

* "I think once he gets into retirement he will enjoy more life more than he is thinking right now"
* "Last few years have not been kind to Mack ...kind to us...kind to anybody - Mack does not look like he is having fun on the sidelines"
* "Doesn't look like it is fun for him"

* "It's time, and i think everyone would agree"
* "That's all i have on that subject to tell you the truth"

* Host: Comment about HornSports being all in on Saban from the start
* "Hornsports can have the last chuckle on the whole topic" since they were right from the start
* "If it doesn't, just put me in witness protection program"

Reaction score
Yeah those places are ridiculous. They have tons of members too. Just like CZ, you gotta wade through mounds of shit to get anything useful, and even then, most of it is just wild speculation. Orangebloods is a fucking pay site too. They give you a "free 7-day trial," but you have to give them your credit card info to get in... $99/year. Fuck that shit. But someone's making a lot of money off those saps.

Reaction score
Chip Brown from Orange Bloods is a raging tool, too. He thinks he is the smartest sports writer in the world. I remember him saying something along the lines of he would quit orange bloods if Texas A&M left the big 12 for sec, he was so confident it would never happen. Next day A&M leaves, he goes on radio and ignores whole subject.

Reaction score
Well, I guess now it's a little closer to official...

http://espn.go.com/dallas/college-football/story/_/id/10138466/mack-brown-resigns-coach-texas-longhorns

Texas coach Mack Brown to resign
Updated: December 14, 2013, 7:35 PM ET
ESPN.com news services

Mack Brown will resign as coach of Texas on Saturday, the school announced Saturday.

Brown has informed his team he will resign, sources close to the situation told the Longhorn Network, but he will stay to coach the Longhorns against Oregon in the Valero Alamo Bowl on Dec. 30.

Brown is 158-47 in his 16 seasons at Texas, nine wins short of tying Darrell Royal for the most in school history. He won 10 or more games for nine consecutive seasons (2001-09), and he's currently No. 10 on the FBS all-time coaching wins list.

Texas played in two BCS championship games, won two Big 12 titles, went to 14 bowl games and finished in the top 15 a total of 10 times during Brown's tenure. He coached more than 50 All-Americans and more than 70 All-Big 12 players at Texas, including five conference players of the year on offense and six on defense.

Since losing to Alabama in the 2010 BCS National Championship Game, Brown went 30-20 in his final four seasons and 18-17 in Big 12 games. Texas' four losses in 2013 came by an average margin of 21 points.

He finished with a 7-9 record against rival Oklahoma, but he did win his final Red River Rivalry -- upsetting the then-No. 12 Sooners, 36-20, at the Cotton Bowl in Dallas in October.

After starting this season 1-2 with nonconference losses to BYU and Ole Miss, Texas rallied to start 6-0 in the Big 12 before losing two of their final three games, including a 30-10 decision to Baylor in what had become a de facto Big 12 championship game on Dec. 7.

During Brown's tenure, Texas became a financial powerhouse among college programs. UT had the largest athletics budget in the country in 2012 at $161.9 million, and Longhorns football produced $103.4 million in total revenue and $79 million in net income.

He also helped make Texas one of the nation's strongest recruiting powers. Brown put together top-10 recruiting classes every year from 2006 to 2012, and also signed the consensus No. 1 class in the nation, led by Vince Young, in 2002.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Bryan Broaddus @BryanBroaddus

Not a University of Texas fan but if you hire an AD that has to hire a committee to help you hire a coach....you hired the wrong guy.

Top Bottom