superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
In Louisiana, Republican Governor Bobby Jindal pushed for a voucher program that would allow state funds to be used to pay for religious schools. It’s unconstitutional, it’s a way to use taxpayer money to fund someone’s faith, and it was a bad idea to begin with.

But it passed.

Now, one of the state legislators, Rep. Valarie Hodges (R-Watson), just made a shocking discovery, though: Christianity isn’t the only religion!

Rep. Valarie Hodges, R-Watson, says she had no idea that Gov. Bobby Jindal’s overhaul of the state’s educational system might mean taxpayer support of Muslim schools.

“I actually support funding for teaching the fundamentals of America’s Founding Fathers’ religion, which is Christianity, in public schools or private schools,” the District 64 Representative said Monday.

“Unfortunately it will not be limited to the Founders’ religion,” Hodges said. “We need to insure that it does not open the door to fund radical Islam schools. There are a thousand Muslim schools that have sprung up recently. I do not support using public funds for teaching Islam anywhere here in Louisiana.”

Wait, we’re teaching the “Founders’ religion”? I can’t wait to see those Deistic schools popping up everywhere…

I can’t decide whether the staffers at Americans United are collectively rolling their eyes or shaking their heads in disbelief, but they’re right to suggest “We told you so”:

Where to begin? Hodges’ bigotry is perhaps only rivaled by her ignorance of constitutional and legal principles. Of course Muslim schools will qualify for funding under a voucher plan. When programs like this are set up that dole out benefits to religious schools, the government can’t play favorites. That’s basic.

Some legislators aren’t comfortable funding Muslim schools. What’s to be done? How about not establishing these programs in the first place? Let Muslims fund Muslim schools. Let Catholics fund Catholics ones. Let fundamentalist Protestants pay for the conservative Christian academies and so on.

Rep. Hodges made the mistake of saying out loud what most conservative Christians only say to themselves to private: When they say they want “religious freedom,” they’re only referring to their own faith. Everyone else can fend for themselves.

Reaction score
First, I'd like to say that I agree that we are not a Christian nation politically. The founders did not appear to want to shape the. Action through Christianity with the government as the vehicle. That flies in the face the reasoning for founding this country.

The founding fathers absolutely wanted the nation shaped by religion/Chrsitianity but knew the dangers of using the government to be the driving force of faith. That is actually what they were escaping from in the first place. Yes, America is a Christian nation within the people and that was expected to be the foundation of this land. It cannot and should not ever be driven by the government. That is not freedom.

Reaction score
Also, much commentary has been written and read about the beliefs of the founding fathers. To say that they were outright deist is incorrect. If that is true then the deists of that day believe more than the Chrsitians of today. The actual documents and writings, not the commentary, bear that out. The founding fathers, for the most part believed in the providence of God.

I'm sure that some were searching, like believers still do today, for absolute truth. Going through this processes publicly might cause some question but I encourage anyone to look into the writings without commentary.

superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
The nation was in no way founded or shaped by Christianity (and the founding fathers were nearly all deists it is obvious in their writings), it was shaped by good sense and an aversion to the problems caused by Christianity back in England. It may share some principles of Christianity but Xtianity in no way owns those principles as they appear in nearly every religious and cultural documents throughout time.

this is what happens when Christians get their way, though, and it's why orgs like the ACLU fights so hard to keep any shred of joining between church and state - because the xtians who cry their eyes out about freedom of religion in the name of specials treatment for THEIR religion don't realize that it will then apply to all religions, even ones they don't like or find a bit scary like Mormons or Muslims.

superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
step 1 get the ten commandments out of everywhere, maybe god out of the pledge (or hell get rid of the pledge altogether) then start taxing the fuck out of churches.

Reaction score
SP, your statement is really way off base.

The nation was not founded or shaped by Chrstianity?! Lol, come in, bro. That's just laughable.

Still, I agree that we are not a Christian nation by way of government. I agree with that sentiment as well. I'd rather chnge the world one person at a time. Making it a political issue is a really bad idea. The government should not be involved with religion, sexual orientation and many other private matters. Matter of fact, the less they do the better off we all are.

Reaction score
The country was formed so people could be free to worship, free from ridiculous taxes and free from tyranny.

The problem was that the state owned, required and forced religion in its people. That is what they were escaping. State ran religion will not work. That makes no sense at all because Christianity is a person surrender to a personal God. That has to be done voluntarily and from a heart of worship. This is not possible through coercion. Which is why I definintly agree that region has no place I. Government.

I'll make you a deal SP, I'll support you 100% on getting religion out of government and you can support me 100% that we need I be free of the other tyranny that the founders were trying to
Escape: ridiculous taxes. Both of those things limit freedom. It seems that you are all for the founders' intent so let's do this!

superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Sorry bro we need taxes to have things like roads, etc - we don't need religion for any reason, so no deal.

Reaction score
How's the bloated budgets/high taxes working for you in CA? Good concept, you may be on to something there with your thinking.

Wasted money, high taxes, driving businesses away and burdening everyone with financial pressure. That seems reasonable.

superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Sorry bro I like roads and public utilities and helping our less fortunate citizens.

Just how I was raised.

lons

UDFA
Reaction score
Now, if they'd just broaden it so it will pay for all schools, meaning our kids aren't forced to go to Public Schools and being indoctrinated into whatever fucked up belief system SP has, I'd be a happy camper.

DragonCowboy

Spectator
Reaction score
step 1 get the ten commandments out of everywhere, maybe god out of the pledge (or hell get rid of the pledge altogether) then start taxing the fuck out of churches.

This would be awesome. Unfortunately it'd never happen.

lons

UDFA
Reaction score
It's called reality bro.

An uncomfortable place for the deluded, I know.

What reality would that be? That you sleep on your parents couch in the basement and use all their resources to post about a reality that although you believe in doesn't include you. That must suck.

superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
What reality would that be? That you sleep on your parents couch in the basement and use all their resources to post about a reality that although you believe in doesn't include you. That must suck.

It's almost like you used a dartboard to come up with this insult.

Top Bottom