junk

UDFA
Reaction score
Worst case scenario Linehan leaves, who could replace him? Would Frank Pollack be a good option?

No. He hasn't ever called plays. I think you'd want to go out of house.

Reaction score
See that's my thinking. Teams have already seen his act. He's Norv. Does great with young QB's and is an offensive wiz but doesn't have "it" to be a head coach. I'm not saying it's impossible that anyone would offer him a head coaching job I just think it's unlikely.

Norv got what.... three head coaching jobs in the NFL?

Imagine if you're the New York Jets.... end up with a top pick in the draft. Hire Linehan, trade for Romo, take a Deshaun Watson round one. Perfect scenario.

Reaction score
If Dallas makes a deep playoff run, he's good as gone solely bc of Dak's development. The Rams would be all over him if they finally canned Mr. 7-9.

Also, Garrett has been exposed as fraud repetitively at this point. Everyone knows it Linehan running the show. Even on the Fox broadcast last week, they kept discussing him. The only times I saw Ginger was when he hugged Dez and when he clapped like an idiot after some TDs. He also tried to listen in on some convos during a timeout. It's funny bc he's always outside of the strategy huddles and so it's clear to anyone watching that he does nothing. This makes me happy.

Reaction score
If Dallas makes a deep playoff run, he's good as gone solely bc of Dak's development. The Rams would be all over him if they finally canned Mr. 7-9.

He wouldn't go back to the Rams. They fired him as HC several years ago. Besides I think Fisher just got an extension recently, didn't he?

Reaction score
I thought the joke about Fisher was that he was holding Goff out so he'd have an excuse for an extension after finishing 8-8 again?

If not LA, then I'm sure he would get a chance practically anywhere with a shitty young QB. Chicago will be rebuilding and Tampa might want him. Either way, he's getting all the deserved credit for this offense and that's gonna be a problem for us.

Reaction score
* I'm curious if the Rams would consider taking another shot at Scott Linehan as their new head coach: The Los Angeles Rams job seems like a great opportunity for someone: They're building a new stadium, the team's settling in to a new market and a young quarterback is in place in Jared Goff. Now that the Rams have fired Jeff Fisher as their coach this week, they have an opening. I'm curious if they'd take a strong look at Cowboys offensive coordinator Scott Linehan. Several things are in play here. Linehan's only head coaching job was for the St. Louis Rams from 2006 to 2008. He was fired early in the 2008 season, ending his tenure in St. Louis at 11-25. But Linehan has really worked well with young quarterbacks in recent years, from Matthew Stafford in Detroit to now Dak Prescott in Dallas. Also, Cowboys owner Jerry Jones has a close relationship with Rams owner Stan Kroenke. It was Jerry who pushed hard for the Rams to get back to LA, helping Kroenke get the franchise out of St. Louis and into a larger market. If the bottom just doesn't fall out of this Cowboys' offense late this season, Linehan should be a prime candidate for a head coaching job again in the offseason.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I think Kyle Shanahan and Josh Mcdaniels will be considered before Linehan. Just my opinion.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Yeah, the Rams would be perfect except I have a hard time seeing Kronke re-hire a guy he's already fired.

I thought about Buffalo when those rumors about Ryan being fired came out. They have a relatively young QB who could use some help, or they could even look to a younger guy if Taylor hits his ceiling, which I think he will/has.

Plus they're supposedly sick of Ryan's big mouth, and Linehan is the exact opposite of Ryan -- a low-key, very sharp, very professional guy.

Of course we won't have to worry about it if Dak and the offense keep playing like they did Sunday night.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
If Linehan really is behind the Dunbar lovefest, then losing him isn't a big deal.

Reaction score
@Rapsheet
Story to watch: #Cowboys OC Scott Linehan is considered a prime HC candidate. He’ll get interviews, which could affect Dak moving forward.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
@Rapsheet
Story to watch: #Cowboys OC Scott Linehan is considered a prime HC candidate. He’ll get interviews, which could affect Dak moving forward.

If Linehan does leave I wonder if Jerry will make a call to Norv. He has his flaws but one thing he has always been great at is working with young QB's.

Reaction score
Re: Cowboys losing Linehan or McClay in the offseason

@toddarcher: I think there is a chance, but I would put good odds that both will be with the Cowboys next season. I’m sure Scott Linehan will be a candidate for a head coaching job. He’s done a great job with Dak Prescott, you’re right. In two of his three years, he has led an offense that has been in top-five in points per game. I think you’d see somebody like Josh McDaniels and Kyle Shanahan be higher up the list than Linehan. Linehan's 11-25 record in two-plus seasons as head coach of the the St. Louis Rams doesn’t help, but you can make the case nobody has won lately with that organization. His background in developing Matthew Stafford and Prescott will be a plus. I just think others will get the call first. Will McClay is one of the more underrated personnel people in the league. He grinds. He can find players anywhere. He has brought stability to the department and the draft process. I think you will see him be high on the list of general manager interviews this season, too. Last year he turned down the chance to interview for jobs. He will be picky. He knows he has a pretty good thing going here. He might want to run his own show one day, but this is close to it with how the Cowboys allow him to get the work done. Between him and Linehan, I think he might have more of a chance to go elsewhere, but if I’m betting I’d say he is back for at least one more year.

Reaction score
Someone tell Todd there are more than two job openings this year.

I don't know if there is any credence to this or not, but I always assume that when a team fires a defensive minded head coach, its usually because the offense sucks so they replace him with an offensive guy. Vice versa.

Of the coaches fired: Fisher, Ryan, and the guy in Jacksonville were all defensive guys.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
If Linehan does leave I wonder if Jerry will make a call to Norv. He has his flaws but one thing he has always been great at is working with young QB's.

Norv will not put up with Garrett's bullshit and interference. He didn't take it from Zimmer, and he'll be damned if he takes it from Garrett.

Top Bottom