Reaction score
Because the head coach that preaches about accountability, etc... is too big of a pussy to make a change.

Cowboys would like Ogletree to be more consistent but not down him

Cowboys receiver Kevin Ogletree had what was thought as a breakout game in the season opener against the Giants, catching 8 passes for 114 yards and two touchdowns to spark the 24-17 victory.

He had 25 catches with no touchdowns the first three years ago so the performance considering a turning point his career.

However, Ogletree has caught just 13 passes in the five games since the opener. His play has included a couple of drops as well as a few false start and illegal formation penalties.

Cowboys coach Jason Garrett said they would Ogletree to be more consistent but it wrong to to say he has fallen back into his old ways. Garrett said Ogleree is a better and mature player than he was in the past and the Cowboys still believe in him.

"I think he is a reliable third receiver for us right now and certainly can improve in all areas," Garrett said. "He has matured a lot. he has had some big plays and made some big plays for us. But he has to keep going. He has to get better like everyone else."

Read more here: http://sportsblogs.star-telegram.co...onsistent-but-not-down-him.html#storylink=cpy

GFY Garrett.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
13 catches in 5 games for the 3rd WR when you have Austin/Dez//Witten as the primary guys isnt that bad. The drops are the bigger concern.

Reaction score
7 drops, 5 procedure calls taking points off the board. Even though he's only on the field for 1/3 of our snaps. I don't see the problem

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
So many fans are missing the point and the problem with the third wr bit.

They talked about it during camp. Ogletree is the only other wr who knows all three positions and can lineup anywhere on the field.

DEz still didn't and Harris, beasley and Holmes didn't.

So that limits the options.

Broaddus keeps hinting we are going to see Hannah more very soon. So i bet we see more two and three tight end stuff to limit the snaps of ogletree.

But having said that making the other defense put out there third/4th corners on the field puts Austin in a great matchup.

So it's hard not to play him. If he would just catch the damn ball from here on out he could be a positive going forward.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
We miss Robinson.

We sure do.

Even if just for the fact that he was running that deep post pretty damn good all year and it gave our offense a big play element to it.

He hit that thing in nearly every game. A second year here would have been big for this offense. It would have given us witten, Austin and Robinson that knew what they were doing.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Why do they have to know all three positions? We should just leave Miles outside and let Beasley play some slot.

Or even Harris. Whoever.

superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Robinson misses Romo.

9 receptions on 17 targets for 134 yards and 0 TDs.

Ogletree

21 for 250 and 2 TDs.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Why do they have to know all three positions? We should just leave Miles outside and let Beasley play some slot.

Or even Harris. Whoever.

I guess because if you are going to demote ogletree you will need guys that know what they are doing and can be trusted I imagine.

Ogletree was the guy that knew the offense and he doesn't even play like it half th time, so imagine how off the other guys must be?

And if we were losing because of our third wr I could understand all the angst, but it's not the third wr spot keeping us from winning games.

superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
How sad is it that we're having a discussion about people who are paid millions to do this to know "all three positions"? Does anyone else in the league even have this discussion? FFS I don't know exactly how we call the plays but generally the route combinations are in the fucking playcall. What is there to even learn?

Romo just told me to run a 7, but I'm in the slot, so does that mean something different now?

I hate us.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
Robinson misses Romo.

9 receptions on 17 targets for 134 yards and 0 TDs.

Ogletree

21 for 250 and 2 TDs.

Why does it have to be one or the other?

Robinson obviously fit well here. Romo hasn't transformed Ogletree into shit.

I realize you can't pay top dollar for Robinson, but its obvious that this offense was much better with Robinson, than without Robinson.

superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Yes we are struggling on offense because we miss Laurent Robinson. Do you realize how insane that sounds?

Reaction score
I had to be told my route by another WR every play. If he could figure it out how hard is it?

I know there's adjustments galore but damn, what more does a WR coach have to do all week?

Reaction score
Fify

Why does it have to be one or the other?

Robinson obviously fit well here. Romo hasn't transformed Ogletree because he's shit.

I realize you can't pay top dollar for Robinson, but its obvious that this offense was much better with Robinson, than without Robinson.

Top Bottom