Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
[video=youtube;Y5YlWEgZQ1A]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5YlWEgZQ1A[/video]

Lot to like about Collins. Scouting reports have it dead on balls accurate. Needs to play with his pad level lower.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
[video=youtube;Y5YlWEgZQ1A]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5YlWEgZQ1A[/video]

Lot to like about Collins. Scouting reports have it dead on balls accurate. Needs to play with his pad level lower.

Only watched the first 6 or 7 plays but unless Iowa's right guard is a world beater, he is getting rocked back on every run play. You are right about pad level, he's standing straight up before firing his hands and engaging the blocker, a sin in defensive line play. I'll try to watch more later, but thoroughly unimpressed with him and still feel 67 was too high for him. Would have preferred Kaufusi (3 picks later) or Bullard (5 picks later).

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Only watched the first 6 or 7 plays but unless Iowa's right guard is a world beater, he is getting rocked back on every run play. You are right about pad level, he's standing straight up before firing his hands and engaging the blocker, a sin in defensive line play. I'll try to watch more later, but thoroughly unimpressed with him and still feel 67 was too high for him. Would have preferred Kaufusi (3 picks later) or Bullard (5 picks later).

Yea I would have preferred one of the Bama DT's in the 2nd and then Bullard in the 3rd.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score

You have to watch more. When he drops his pad level he does a better of job of taking on even double teams and standing his ground.

You can see a few plays where he uses that quickness and burst of his to shoot the gaps pretty quickly. He has a 29.5" vertical; so he has some explosion there.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score

Definitely agree with this....

Biggest concern:
• Rarely sheds blocks once an offensive lineman is locked on
• Will get taken for a ride by double teams at times
• More of a disruptor than a playmaker. Needs to finish plays better in both run and pass game
• Per above, despite strong run grade, posted a low run stop percentage of 4.8 percent
• Along same lines, needs to find the ball better in the run game

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
The 2nd round pick doesn't play at all.

The 3rd rounder and 4th rounder are rotation guys at best.

6th rounders are well, 6th rounders.

And one of those 6 rounders is a basketball player

Not a football player! Gotta love it! You just can't make that shit up!

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
Question: Why did the Cowboys waste a pick on Rico Gathers? I'm sure they could have gotten him as a free agent after the draft.

Gosselin: The Cowboys too often think outside the box. They look for the home run when a simple single or double would do in the later rounds. These players are usually longshots to make the team, so the Cowboys swing fore the fences. Tony Gonzalez, Antonio Gates and Jimmy Graham have all done it. Even if he does succeed, I think it isn't until 2017 that we see him on a game-day roster.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Question: Why did the Cowboys waste a pick on Rico Gathers? I'm sure they could have gotten him as a free agent after the draft.

Gosselin: The Cowboys too often think outside the box. They look for the home run when a simple single or double would do in the later rounds. These players are usually longshots to make the team, so the Cowboys swing fore the fences. Tony Gonzalez, Antonio Gates and Jimmy Graham have all done it. Even if he does succeed, I think it isn't until 2017 that we see him on a game-day roster.

There was no guarantee they could have gotten him as a UFA. I read that there were like 26 teams scouting him at Baylor's pro day. That was the same reason they drafted Jackson instead of waiting until after the draft. If they had any 7th rounders they would have waited until then but they didn't so had to take him in the 6th.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
There was no guarantee they could have gotten him as a UFA. I read that there were like 26 teams scouting him at Baylor's pro day. That was the same reason they drafted Jackson instead of waiting until after the draft. If they had any 7th rounders they would have waited until then but they didn't so had to take him in the 6th.

Yep they wanna acquire the rights to some players they're pretty sure they would lose a recruiting war over. They are notorious for lowballing UDFAs. So if it's one they think they like and lots of others do, they spend a late pick hoping he either becomes a star or brings back tenfold in a trade later.

Of course, neither scenario has ever happened but that's the theory anyway.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
There was no guarantee they could have gotten him as a UFA. I read that there were like 26 teams scouting him at Baylor's pro day.

See this is the trap Cowboy fans falls for, as well as an example of this Front Office constantly trying to rationalize their (sometimes extremely questionable) draft picks.

There were not 26 teams scouting Rico Gathers. There were 26 teams at Baylor's Pro Day, which is typical for any big school. There were 31 scouts at USC's Pro Day. Does that mean they were all there to scout the kicker? Better draft him then.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
See this is the trap Cowboy fans falls for, as well as an example of this Front Office constantly trying to rationalize their (sometimes extremely questionable) draft picks.

There were not 26 teams scouting Rico Gathers. There were 26 teams at Baylor's Pro Day, which is typical for any big school. There were 31 scouts at USC's Pro Day. Does that mean they were all there to scout the kicker? Better draft him then.

I thought Gathers had a personal workout for teams a couple weeks before the draft. I don't remember how many teams showed up but I thought I read it was just him actually working out.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
What's this say CMD?

Baylor basketball star Rico Gathers gets 24 teams at workout
By Jon Schlosser

Posted on April 25, 2016

AAH14031533_Baylor_v_Iowa_St
Jeff Moffett/Icon Sportswire

Rico Gathers is trying to make the switch from basketball to the NFL, a move multiple tight ends have made successfully in the past. That doesn’t mean it’s guaranteed to work for him, but teams are definitely interested. He’s having a workout today, with a few days left until the draft, and reports show that 24 teams are coming out to see what he can do.

Their interest makes a lot of sense from a physical standpoint. Gathers is 6-7 and weighs in at 275 pounds, so he looks the part. Physically, he could step into the NFL and be fine. He used to be a receiver in middle school, but he switched to basketball in high school and never looked back—until now.

Gathers was known as a good rebounder and won All-Big 12 honors. That also bodes well for his time in the NFL, as he could use that ability to go up and get the ball in traffic as a receiving tight end. He also has the size to block, though it stands to reason that he’d need more work on that part of the game, coming from a low-impact sport like basketball. Other tight ends who played basketball before joining the NFL—like Jimmy Graham—have typically been far better at catching than blocking.

Gathers originally wanted to do workouts with the Baylor football team, but the basketball season got in the way. His private workout was set up to replicate everything he would have done at the Combine or a pro day. Reports also indicate that he’s dropped 10 pounds to become faster, so teams are very interested to see how he projects to the next level. He’s a raw talent, so, though he could be drafted late, he may turn into a steal if he develops well.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Gosselin is a tool but he's right on this one. This is the braintrust trying too hard to outsmart everyone.

Why wouldn't the Cowboys be able to get Gathers in UFA? It's close to home for the player, Jerry has always bid high for UFAs he really wanted, it's still the incredibly popular Dallas Cowboys, and he plays a position where we aren't stacked (unlike RB).

They just had him as a pet and were scared someone would draft him in the seventh and they'd miss out on their opportunity to show how brilliant they are.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
What's this say CMD?

Baylor basketball star Rico Gathers gets 24 teams at workout
By Jon Schlosser

Posted on April 25, 2016

AAH14031533_Baylor_v_Iowa_St
Jeff Moffett/Icon Sportswire

Rico Gathers is trying to make the switch from basketball to the NFL, a move multiple tight ends have made successfully in the past. That doesn’t mean it’s guaranteed to work for him, but teams are definitely interested. He’s having a workout today, with a few days left until the draft, and reports show that 24 teams are coming out to see what he can do.

Their interest makes a lot of sense from a physical standpoint. Gathers is 6-7 and weighs in at 275 pounds, so he looks the part. Physically, he could step into the NFL and be fine. He used to be a receiver in middle school, but he switched to basketball in high school and never looked back—until now.

Gathers was known as a good rebounder and won All-Big 12 honors. That also bodes well for his time in the NFL, as he could use that ability to go up and get the ball in traffic as a receiving tight end. He also has the size to block, though it stands to reason that he’d need more work on that part of the game, coming from a low-impact sport like basketball. Other tight ends who played basketball before joining the NFL—like Jimmy Graham—have typically been far better at catching than blocking.

Gathers originally wanted to do workouts with the Baylor football team, but the basketball season got in the way. His private workout was set up to replicate everything he would have done at the Combine or a pro day. Reports also indicate that he’s dropped 10 pounds to become faster, so teams are very interested to see how he projects to the next level. He’s a raw talent, so, though he could be drafted late, he may turn into a steal if he develops well.

Looks like I was wrong. I still would have taken my chances on landing him in UDFA. I haven't heard or read anyone else say they were going to draft him but then again, we appear to be the only team that announces every one of our draft thoughts and fears of other teams taking the guy we just have to have.

And I really like Gathers. I'm all for grabbing him. I don't even mind the 6th round pick. I just hate the overall panic-filled draft strategy of this Front Office and their constant, desperate need to appear clever.

The Peter King article disproves the claims of Baltimore wanting Ellott, yet the Jones'es claimed it immediately after the draft. Where's the follow up question from media asking them why they made that up?

Last edited:

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
The Peter King article disproves the claims of Baltimore wanting Ellott, yet the Jones'es claimed it immediately after the draft. Where's the follow up question from media asking them why they made that up?

Yeah I never understood why they made that claim, they didnt need to.

Just say you were too worried about Elliott not being there at 6, which is possible. Jacksonville might have traded down with Bosa and Ramsey both gone.

Top Bottom