BangersandMash

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Because noone has ever done it.

You don't get to the NFL and say "ok now I'm going to stop making one read and running and read defenses from the pocket instead." At that point you're years behind the competition and the learning curve will get you killed.

As much !@#$ as he takes I think McNabb did it. There is also Steve Young and Steve McNair. If you look at the guys that didn't make it had much more to do with the work (Or lack thereof) they put into making the transition. Unlike most of the mouth breathers on Extremeskins I'm aware he has issues with pocket presence and reading the field and I'm also very aware that despite what the media puppets say not RG3 or anyone else will come into the league and suddenly bring the game of football back to the 1960's. However, if I'm the only one that sees the work ethic, poise, incredible accuracy on throws that only a handful of QB's can make, arm strength, lightening release, ball handling etc, then I'm the only one being objective.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
As much !@#$ as he takes I think McNabb did it. There is also Steve Young and Steve McNair. If you look at the guys that didn't make it had much more to do with the work (Or lack thereof) they put into making the transition. Unlike most of the mouth breathers on Extremeskins I'm aware he has issues with pocket presence and reading the field and I'm also very aware that despite what the media puppets say not RG3 or anyone else will come into the league and suddenly bring the game of football back to the 1960's. However, if I'm the only one that sees the work ethic, poise, incredible accuracy on throws that only a handful of QB's can make, arm strength, lightening release, ball handling etc, then I'm the only one being objective.

Steve Young also played in the USFL and honed his skill. They didn't call him Air McNair because he was a running QB. And as for McNabb... Griffith is about as accurate as him.

superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score

I don't know enough about the systems those QBs played in in college - were they the same gimmicky read-option offenses we see today or were they transitioning to the pro game at that point? I don't think they did. And we have no way of knowing how much effort was put into it or not. All we have is the trend. once these guys can't take off anymore, whether it's because they've been injured too much or they just need to protect themselves the level of play falls off. LBs aren't afraid of them taking off, and neither are pass rushers. Generally what happens is what you saw from Robert Vick yesterday - keep moving backwards in the pocket until something opens up, because you don't have the skills to do anything else because you haven't been developing them for the past decade - you've been dropping back and then taking off.

BangersandMash

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I don't know enough about the systems those QBs played in in college - were they the same gimmicky read-option offenses we see today or were they transitioning to the pro game at that point? I don't think they did. And we have no way of knowing how much effort was put into it or not. All we have is the trend. once these guys can't take off anymore, whether it's because they've been injured too much or they just need to protect themselves the level of play falls off. LBs aren't afraid of them taking off, and neither are pass rushers. Generally what happens is what you saw from Robert Vick yesterday - keep moving backwards in the pocket until something opens up, because you don't have the skills to do anything else because you haven't been developing them for the past decade - you've been dropping back and then taking off.

You're both wrong and of course fail to acknowledge the fact that he does posses attributes that make him a lot more than the running QB you're praying for him to become. He is smart enough and works more than hard enough to learn the mental aspects of the game and the fact the he doesn't have it all down after on season means squat.

Last edited:
Reaction score
lol

Reaction score
I am willing to bet they sit him extra cautiously now due to all the backlash. He won't be back until 2014. What would be great is if Cousins leads them to a wildcard win and they end up with a big QB controversy. Fans have a very short-term memory these days. Cornball could be forgotten there, particularly with his injury history.

Also, if Cousins gets hurt, it'll be fun to see "ossman" tape on the back of all those new jerseys the bandwagoners went out and bought.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
I'm hoping that if RG3 is that hurt, that cousins blows next year.

i don't want them getting any of those picks back that they traded for RG3.

Reaction score
@Russellmania980

Dr. Kaplan says he would bet against RG3 being ready for August after "looking at the film as I did." Says more likely Sept/October

superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
You're both wrong and of course fail to acknowledge the fact that he does posses attributes that make him a lot more than the running QB you're praying for him to become. He is smart enough and works more than hard enough to learn the mental aspects of the game and the fact the he doesn't have it all down after on season means squat.

Oh ok i guess you missed the part this year where his running got him injured and once he lost it he and your offense became helpless but hey maybe he'll buck years of historical trends because the skins homers want to believe he will.

Mr X

Reaction score
Skins fans shouldnt be worried.

RB's come back from these injuries all the time. Just look at Peterson.

BangersandMash

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Oh ok i guess you missed the part this year where his running got him injured and once he lost it he and your offense became helpless but hey maybe he'll buck years of historical trends because the skins homers want to believe he will.

You missed the part where he got injured on a scramble as opposed to a designed run and more importantly the injury effected his ability to throw the ball, which is what really made the offense helpless.

Reaction score
What makes RG3 such an effective quarterback is the threat to run. That threat freezes everyone.

Once that threat is gone, and he has to rely on being a pocket passer.... hes not nearly as effective.

Thats a problem for you.

BangersandMash

Practice Squad
Reaction score
What makes RG3 such an effective quarterback is the threat to run. That threat freezes everyone.

Once that threat is gone, and he has to rely on being a pocket passer.... hes not nearly as effective.

Thats a problem for you.

There were a number of games this season in which he did fine in the pocket. He's not there yet but once again he's a rookie coming from a college option offense without a playbook. Nobody can throw when the ligaments in the knee of their plant foot are twisted badly and or torn.

Reaction score
Agree to disagree.

I can understand your enthusiasm for the kid. He took the league by storm this year.

But I think with the multiple injuries to the same knee, which will likely have psychological as well as physical affects on him (reduce speed/burst/durability), the inability to build around him with the loss of draft picks required to make the trade as well as the cap penalty, him having to adjust his style of play, as well as NFL defensive coordinators dedicating an offseason towards defending him/defending the read option.....

I feel the deck is stacked immensely against him.

BangersandMash

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Agree to disagree.

I can understand your enthusiasm for the kid. He took the league by storm this year.

But I think with the multiple injuries to the same knee, which will likely have psychological as well as physical affects on him (reduce speed/burst/durability), the inability to build around him with the loss of draft picks required to make the trade as well as the cap penalty, him having to adjust his style of play, as well as NFL defensive coordinators dedicating an offseason towards defending him/defending the read option.....

I feel the deck is stacked immensely against him.

Look back a few pages there was a whole bunch of stuff that wasn't supposed to happen this year either yet here we are. The injury could change his career depending on the extent but as far as transitioning to running a full fledged NFL offense (in a system that fits) he has all the tools its just a matter of putting the work in. Also not having the first round picks is a hinderence of course but the personel guys that maintain employment consistantly in the NFL are the ones with the ability to find talent in rounds 2-7 and all the teams that are in the running every year get this done. If our FO can't do it they shouldnt be running things.

Reaction score
Well, good luck B&M....

You're wrong, and RG3 is already on a downward spiral.... but good luck nonetheless.

:thumbsup

Top Bottom