Reaction score
In 2007 and 2009 TNew made the Pro Bowl. Many thought that he deserved another one or two Pro Bowls right around the same time.

Henry had a hard time staying healthy. That was his main problem.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
Filipi Sparks was the best CB we've had in recent history not named Deion.

IMO

junk

UDFA
Reaction score
In 2007 and 2009 TNew made the Pro Bowl. Many thought that he deserved another one or two Pro Bowls right around the same time.

Henry had a hard time staying healthy. That was his main problem.

Newman was OK. Probably not worth the #5 overall pick, but solid. Never shut down and never as good as the CZ herd claimed he was.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Newman was OK. Probably not worth the #5 overall pick, but solid. Never shut down and never as good as the CZ herd claimed he was.

Except for statistically, he was really good

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Didn't he go an entire season without giving up a TD? TNew was a very good player.

Yeah he did. Might have had a streak at one point of only giving up like 1 or 2 over a 3+ season span.

Jim Haslett (then HC of Saints) said TNew was the best defensive back they saw on tape one yr (I think it might have been his rookie yr or second yr)

JBond

UDFA
Reaction score
I think it was his third year in the league when he only gave up 16 completions for the season. Not too bad. I think people tend to remember the old broken down TNew and forget how special a player he was in his prime. He never had enough ints, so some hold that against him.

Reaction score
The corner backs opposite him were so terrible that teams didn’t have to test Newman. My memory always goes to the times Newman came up small in the most important times. Good solid player but highly overrated.

Reaction score
The corner backs opposite him were so terrible that teams didn’t have to test Newman. My memory always goes to the times Newman came up small in the most important times. Good solid player but highly overrated.

This.

But to Newman's credit, he chased down Randy Moss from 5 yards away when Moss was a Raider. Parcells said that a bomb could go off and Newman would not take his eye off the WR. I remember his predraft description (not by some draft hack with wifi) including "often looks like the fastest player on the field".
But Newman also went from being tough to soft to tough again in the same quarter of the game.

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
He never lived up to being picked 5th overall, but he was better than Dwayne Robertson. Gave up too many big plays, dropped too many interceptions, and stayed hurt too often.

lons

UDFA
Reaction score
The only thing you could count on from Newman was a groin injury right about this time in TC... every fucking year.

bvhawkeye

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Carr and Orton were excellent signings... The two OL were terrible, why not sign Ben Grubbs instead. Fix one problem instead of trying to put a cheap band aid on two problems and still have the exact same problem the next season?

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
The only thing you could count on from Newman was a groin injury right about this time in TC... every fucking year.

Yeah, coincidentally. Felix and Jenkins would always hurt something too.

I can't tell you how glad I am those three are gone.

Hey I wonder if Jenkins got fined for that hit on Bryant? Doubt it.

Top Bottom