C

Cr122

Letting It Grow
Things Getting Hairy At Linebacker
Edward Lewis
DallasCowboys.com Staff Writer

Bradie James and Anthony Spencer have two of the longer beards so far. OXNARD, Calif. - Second-year linebacker Jason Williams can't really grow out a full beard. At 24 years old, the hair just doesn't come in yet. But for the team's sake, he's going to try his best to get one going.

The Cowboys linebackers have decided to go through training camp without shaving or even trimming their facial hair - even if some members of the linebacking squad can't quite pull off the look.

"My older brother, he's five years older than me, he's just now started growing a beard," Williams said. "So I feel like at some point I'm going to be able to grow one. But right now I'm just trying to get adjusted to it."

Other linebackers have found more success with the beard look than Williams. Anthony Spencer and Bradie James, for example, have "Rick Ross beards going on," linebacker Victor Butler said.

DeMarcus Ware and Keith Brooking, meanwhile, have the ability to grow big-time beards, but both have broken the rules a bit. Ware shaved his because he had to take a family portrait, and Brooking trimmed his into a chinstrap, which is acceptable because "this is his 13th year; I'm not going to tell him what to do," Williams said.

Butler hasn't touched his since he was instructed to grow his out. He hates it and can't wait to chop it off, but he's convinced he still looks good in it.

"I feel like I could pull off the look," Butler said. "There's a few of us: Denzel, Brad Pitt and Victor Butler. I feel like I could pull it off. Put me on the cover of GQ."

The training camp tradition started in San Antonio when some of the younger linebackers poked fun at James because his facial hair was a little longer than usual. Williams said that joke just snowballed into beards for every linebacker.

"It kind of became a thing where all of the linebackers let our beards go for the time of training camp," Williams said. "Originally, the rule was we couldn't trim it because we were supposed to look like wild men for the entire training camp."

After giving up only 18 points on defense through the first two games and scoring the team's only touchdown of the preseason, the unit might want to keep the look throughout the regular season, even if it drives Butler crazy.

"The rest of the guys, they kind of like the look," Butler said. "But as soon as we break camp, I'm getting all this off of me."

Top Bottom