X Dawg

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I'm getting my plane tickets for the Super Bowl now - oh ...baby....
Cowboys add Kenyon Coleman to fold
July, 29, 2011
JUL 29
11:52
PM CT
EmailPrintComments
By Todd Archer
SAN ANTONIO -- The Cowboys have filled their defensive end needs by bringing Kenyon Coleman back into the fold five years after he left as a free agent.

After losing Stephen Bowen to Washington on Thursday, the Cowboys re-signed Marcus Spears to a five-year deal and, according to sources, agreed to a two-year deal with Coleman.

The move not only reunited Coleman with the Cowboys but also new defensive coordinator Rob Ryan. Coleman started 27 of 29 games for Ryan in Cleveland from 2008-09 and had four sacks. Last season he was credited with 68 tackles and 2 1/2 sacks by the coaches. He had a career-high four sacks in 2006, his last year with the Cowboys. Coleman was acquired by the Cowboys in 2003 in a trade from Oakland.

With Spears, Jay Ratliff, Igor Olshansky and Coleman, the Cowboys have a stable four-man rotation with second-year man Josh Brent backing up Ratliff at nose tackle.

X Dawg

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Lets hope Abe Elam is next to continue the trend of ex Jets, Browns and Cowboys coming home to Jerry World.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
I'm glad we brought Spears back. Maybe Coleman can add some much needed depth.

We really need to get busy with the safety position.

Reaction score
This is an under the radar type of signing that I prefer in free agency.

DE went from being a major concern, to a strong point in 24 hours.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
solid addition...knows the shceme, has played pretty well for Ryan last two yrs...quality depth

Last edited:

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Makes sense. This is going to help a ton in the locker room and in meetings. He isnt going to set the world on fire statistically but he has intangible qualities, just like elam will when he gets here.

I wont complain if ty warren is added this week either.

JPM

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I'd be in love with our DE rotation if we added Ty Warren to the mix.
Word is he'll play for vet min too. They should kick the tires. Adding him would make our DL rotation nice.

C

Cr122

Coleman is a system player. Nice signing. Now lets go get Abram Elam and a few others and I'm a happy camper.

Reaction score
I'd be in love with our DE rotation if we added Ty Warren to the mix.

Im already very happy with our DE rotation. Ty Warren isn't a Garrett/Ryan type guy. Why would we want to add a guy who was cut for being lazy and out of shape and possibly injured as well?

No thanks.

Mr.Po

Reaction score
He's Ok and maybe I view it differently but was he really that good the first go around that we are this excited to have him back? A 32 y/o journeyman who has been on 5 different teams (Cowboys twice). Seems to me just a warm body to fill a position of need. Hoping this is a ploy just to save money at one position so we can go a little more in at the safety position or somewhere else.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
We need big two gapping ends. The fact that coleman is a solid reliable guy that knows the organization and ryans scheme is a bonus. This isnt a signing that will bring out the cheer for the offense only and complain about the qb all day type of fan.

This is just a a good fit at an area of need. Having the knowledge of this scheme is important. That is why elam will be brought in. I wouldnt gripe if they squeezed a linebacker that knows it either somehow on the roster.

There is no way to teach this defense in 4 weeks and just roll out there with it. This is just a good reliable signing.

BulldogJones

Spectator
Reaction score
band-aids people - band-aids.

Coleman ..... really????

Not hating (hope it works out for us) - merely pointing out that a whopping single digit stat for sacks over a five year period mixed with a previous tenure doesn't get me fired up.

X Dawg

Practice Squad
Reaction score

Coleman ..... really????

Not hating (hope it works out for us) - merely pointing out that a whopping single digit stat for sacks over a five year period mixed with a previous tenure doesn't get me fired up.
no dude, HATE , it's okay - Coleman is stop gap garbage ... this board lets you state your feelings ....we're a five win team as of now...

Mr.Po

Reaction score

Coleman ..... really????

It's the scheme...........:awkward

Idgit

Practice Squad
Reaction score
He's a transition player at a position of need. Nothing to get excited about one way or 'tother.

Glad to see this board has its share of whining pussies. That always keeps things lively, at least.

Reaction score
Coleman is a solid player, and will be a good rotation guy. As idgit implied, nothing more nothing less. I'd still like to add a Warren type.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
He's a transition player at a position of need. Nothing to get excited about one way or 'tother.

Glad to see this board has its share of whining pussies. That always keeps things lively, at least.

lol

Top Bottom