Reaction score
With Ware and Hatcher gone, and Spencer and Melton coming off significant injuries, it seems pretty clear we have a lot of questions with regards to pass rush.

First, how many team sacks can we expect?

Who steps up and leads the team in taking the quarterback down?

Do we even have a ten sack guy on the roster?

I doubt Selvie replicates his 2013 performance. I doubt Lawrence gets more than the 5-7 range in his first year. And I put the over/under on Spencer sacks at 2.5.

I just don't see a pass rush from this defense. I say team total around 38-40 with around 5 of those coming from the cornerbacks on blitzes. Scandrick is effective from the slot.

junk

UDFA
Reaction score
What's the NFL record?

I think you're forgetting the Marinelli effect

cmd34(work)

Draft Pick
Reaction score
It seems like the brain trust is taking a lot for granted in regards to the Defensive Line (sacks/pressure)and Safeties (deep coverage). One again, "hope" seems to be our main off-season strategy.

Bluenoser

In the Rotation
Reaction score
So you think we will have more sacks this year then last? I think our Dline will be better then last year. By how much, I don't know.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I'm sure it will be a little better. But if it's 5% better so that it still sucks ass, how much does that really help us?

But yeah. On that other board I've read things like "I love how we're building this line!" Really? How are we building it? We got Melton who has been a good player but won't be any better than Hatcher was last year. We made a desperation trade up for a second rounder, and we signed some spares like Mincy. How is that building anything?

Last edited:

cmd34(work)

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Lawrence and Melton have a chance to be really good. Crawford too but I need to see it first.

If McClain surprises, great. We just need the 1-technique to be a bully and go hard every play. Spencer is another "If". I don't have much faith in Mincey. Selvie is good, not great and we have to hope he stays hungry. I'm rooting for Amobi Okoye, he's actually still young enough to turn things around and live up to some of the potential he showed at Louisville. I really like Ben Gardner. His junior tape from Stanford is impressive. Ben Bass and Nick Hayden are message board legends.

We are basically younger and deeper than last year but completely unproven. The Safety position however is just straight negligence and incompetence.

Reaction score
So you think we will have more sacks this year then last?.

Yeah, but that is more a best case scenario based on linehan being a better offensive mind and romo staying healthy. If we score more points then our defense will get more pass rush opportunities.

NoShame

UDFA
Reaction score
With Ware and Hatcher gone, and Spencer and Melton coming off significant injuries, it seems pretty clear we have a lot of questions with regards to pass rush.

First, how many team sacks can we expect?

Who steps up and leads the team in taking the quarterback down?

Do we even have a ten sack guy on the roster?

I doubt Selvie replicates his 2013 performance. I doubt Lawrence gets more than the 5-7 range in his first year. And I put the over/under on Spencer sacks at 2.5.

I just don't see a pass rush from this defense. I say team total around 38-40 with around 5 of those coming from the cornerbacks on blitzes. Scandrick is effective from the slot.

Well we only got 34 sacks last year.. Two of the guys you mentioned, ware and hatcher, account for only 17 of those.

The bar isn't really set that high. I could easily see us match that mark just by accident.

We might not have a double digit sack guy but as a group I could see them getting 35-40.

Reaction score
I think with the added depth Selvie may be more effective...he started fast and faded down the stretch because he had to play more than he should have.

Iamtdg

Reaction score
It seems like the brain trust is taking a lot for granted in regards to the Defensive Line (sacks/pressure)and Safeties (deep coverage). One again, "hope" seems to be our main off-season strategy.

Again, you mean.

Reaction score
Well we only got 34 sacks last year.. Two of the guys you mentioned, ware and hatcher, account for only 17 of those.

The bar isn't really set that high. I could easily see us match that mark just by accident.

We might not have a double digit sack guy but as a group I could see them getting 35-40.
This is the scenario that I see as most probable. Just a bunch of 5-7 sack players. I'm guessing there might be more blitzing earlier in the season until the D line jells.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Store clerk: Will that be paper or plastic?

Me: Doesn't matter, I'm bi-sacksual.

Top Bottom