sbk92

Reaction score
Posted by rphillips at 4/8/2011 5:03 PM CDT on truebluefanclub.com

Nate Solder has only been playing offensive tackle for three years, having originally come to Colorado in 2006 as a 245-pound tight end. He added 30 pounds, moved to tackle in 2008 as a redshirt sophomore and wound up starting 36 consecutive games for the Buffaloes.

Solder, one of several offensive tackles linked to the Cowboys either at No. 9 or in a potential trade-down scenario, arguably has as much upside as any prospect in the draft.

“Issue with him will be consistency,” ESPN draft analyst Mel Kiper said in a conference call. “You have to keep developing your strength quotient. Is he a talented kid with a lot of upside? Yes, he is.

“He’ll be there in the 20’s and he’ll be a guy that you roll the dice with hoping that you can have your line coach develop him, your strength coach develop him. He lacks a lot of experience because he was a former tight end. He’s not a finished product. He’s not an Anthony Costanzo who’s going to come in ready to play at a solid level. With Solder you have to mold him into an outstanding left tackle.”

Solder struggled in the Senior Bowl game, but it was obvious watching practice during our stay in Mobile that he’s got the ability to fill a need for the Cowboys.

C

Cr122

I liked this kid early on, but the more info I read on him the more I'm not sure about him.

I'd take Smith, Carimi, or Castonzo before drafting him.

sbk92

Reaction score
I would take Sherrod over Solder.

I would probably take Cannon and Ijalana over Solder.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I would take Sherrod over Solder.

I would probably take Cannon and Ijalana over Solder.

I definitely would, especially Cannon.

I think Cannon is a relatively safe pick. Might not ever be a probowler but should be a solid starter. And if he cant stay at RT permanently you always have the option of moving him to RG or LG.

I didnt see Cannon play a ton, but the few times I saw him play he reminded me a little of Nate Newton. And I think their career could have similar results.

sbk92

Reaction score
It just seems like with Solder people are guessing. They think he can do it in the NFL someday. But they can't point to any film showing him doing it.

I suppose you can make the same case with Tyron Smith though.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I definitely would, especially Cannon.

I think Cannon is a relatively safe pick. Might not ever be a probowler but should be a solid starter. And if he cant stay at RT permanently you always have the option of moving him to RG or LG.

I didnt see Cannon play a ton, but the few times I saw him play he reminded me a little of Nate Newton. And I think their career could have similar results.

I envision Cannon moving to G. I would love to get him at #40.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I liked this kid early on, but the more info I read on him the more I'm not sure about him.

I'd take Smith, Carimi, or Castonzo before drafting him.

For me it would be Smith, Sherrod, Carimi, and Castanzo in that order. The last 3 in trade down.

sbk92

Reaction score
Plus, cmon....who do you want protecting Romo's blindside?....

tyron_300.jpg

or

20101028_012505_Nate%20Solder_300.jpg

C

Cr122

It just seems like with Solder people are guessing. They think he can do it in the NFL someday. But they can't point to any film showing him doing it.

I suppose you can make the same case with Tyron Smith though.

Yeah, but at least Smith has proven to play both RT and LT. Solder was converted over from tight end. Plus he sucked on the bench press at the combine. We need run blockers not pussies who can't hold their weight. :awkward

sbk92

Reaction score
Yeah, but at least Smith has proven to play both RT and LT. Solder was converted over from tight end. Plus he sucked on the bench press at the combine. We need run blockers not pussies who can't hold their weight. :awkward

To be fair, Smith hasn't proven he can play LT.

Reaction score
I thought he played both positions at USC, no?

He played it in high school and some scout team at USC, but no real action.

I don't know...I just don't like the player. I thought he was the 4th best OT 2 months ago and just adding weight without showing he can play with it won't change my mind.

C

Cr122

He played it in high school and some scout team at USC, but no real action.

I don't know...I just don't like the player. I thought he was the 4th best OT 2 months ago and just adding weight without showing he can play with it won't change my mind.

I felt the same about Smith early on, but the kid is adding weight and could at least start over Colombo at RT. For now, then maybe slide him to LT in the future.

Reaction score
I think any one of these guys can start over Colombo from Day 1, he's just that bad.

Even so, that's not my criteria for drafting a guy. I want the best guy regardless and looking at a bunch of YouTube clips of Smith I just don't see a lot of special things out of him. Not enough to take him at 9 and be the first OT off the board.

C

Cr122

I think any one of these guys can start over Colombo from Day 1, he's just that bad.

Even so, that's not my criteria for drafting a guy. I want the best guy regardless and looking at a bunch of YouTube clips of Smith I just don't see a lot of special things out of him. Not enough to take him at 9 and be the first OT off the board.

I wouldn't be upset if we didn't draft him at 9, there's other options. Even if we didn't go OT at 9 we could land another starter in the second round.

C

Cr122

I think Solder is one of those players who falls a bit in the first round.

Top Bottom