Reaction score
Kellen Winslow says knee all that’s keeping him from league’s elite
Posted by Darin Gantt on June 13, 2012, 10:50 AM EDT

Seattle tight end Kellen Winslow has never lacked for confidence.

But the former “soldier” sounds like he at least understands his limitations, even if he does still have a grand idea of himself.

“If I was healthy, which I never will be again, I would be Aaron Hernandez and (Jason) Witten together,” Winslow told Clare Farnsworth of Seahawks.com. “But, hey, I do what I can out there with the situation I have.”

Winslow said he’ll always struggle with the knee problem that began in 2005 when he was with the Cleveland Browns and was complicated by a 2008 staph infection.

He still averaged 73 receptions a year the past three seasons in Tampa Bay, meaning the decision to trade him for what could be a sixth-round pick may have had to do with things other than his skills.

But while he’s listed as being limited now, he’s moving well in practice, giving the Seahawks ideas about putting in more two-tight end formations.

“I think he’s going to be a great addition,” quarterback Tarvaris Jackson said. “He’s come out the first couple days and made some great catches. He’s always pretty much open. He finds a way to get open, so that’s going to be big for us on offense.”

And even if he proves to be the kind of pain new Bucs coach Greg Schiano didn’t want around, he’ll likely never be the worst citizen the Seahawks have put on the field at the position.

superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Or Stevens, the TE they released who went to Tampa Bay. I think he got in some mess.

lons

UDFA
Reaction score
He and Tellus should get together and make youtube videos together. Could call their hijinx, "Fat Man and De Nile"

jeebus

UDFA
Reaction score
geez, talk about delusional

He is not that delusional, he would he great if he was the same athlete he used to be. Comparable to anyone in the league, so I don't have problem with self confidence that makes the leap to "better" (especially because it was a hypothetically that could never happen and which I completely empathisize with the guy wanting it to)

Maveric

Quality Starter
Reaction score
“If I was healthy, which I never will be again, I would be Aaron Hernandez and (Jason) Witten together,” Winslow told Clare Farnsworth of Seahawks.com. “But, hey, I do what I can out there with the situation I have.”

You're kidding me Winslow, you never had a shot at being that when you still had potential...

Top Bottom