C

Cr122

Charging Back
Gordon Prepares To Face Former Team
Rowan Kavner
DallasCowboys.com Staff Writer

OXNARD, Calif. - Sometimes athletes get reputations for being "weight-room heroes," meaning they have all the physical tools to be standout players but can't seem to put them into action during games.

Cornerback Cletis Gordon has been more of a "practice hero." He has undeniably recorded the most interceptions among the secondary throughout training camp. He's been nothing less than a ball hawk. It seems every other practice he has at least one interception.

He's done it against backups and starters alike. Gordon picked off quarterback Stephen McGee twice during one day of two-minute drills in San Antonio. In another practice, he intercepted a Tony Romo pass in the end zone, proceeding to cruise down the sideline.

Even in one-on-one drills, where cornerbacks are at a distinct disadvantage, he recorded two interceptions in a single practice at the Alamodome. His ability to create turnovers allowed secondary coach Dave Campo to call Gordon the leader for the fourth cornerback spot.

Gordon's play in Oxnard hasn't subsided. He snagged an interception during seven-on-seven drills Sunday and followed that with another interception the following day.

Campo said when players work correctly on technique and hand placement in practice, it usually translates to the game. He said Gordon has done well with that in his brief stint with the Cowboys.

But thus far in his career, Gordon's ability to create turnovers hasn't translated to games.

He failed to grab an interception in three previous seasons with the Chargers. Now Gordon has the opportunity to show to Campo and his coaches what they've seen in practice isn't a fluke - that he's not just a "practice hero." And the fifth-year cornerback can do it against his former team on Aug. 21.

"I think he'll get juiced up for the game," Campo said. "He's been there. I think he knows their receivers, and he pretty much knows where their splits are."

Gordon strained his neck in the Hall of Fame game, forcing him to sit out the preseason home opener against the Raiders. But he returned to practice in Oxnard in time for this weekend's matchup against the Chargers.

"I look forward to playing against my ex-teammates and coaches," Gordon said. "It's a chance to go out there and compete against those guys. I'm ready to show what I can do."

Gordon said he might have a little extra in the tank for the team that passed on him in 2009.

"Anytime a team releases you, you feel like it's a motivating factor for you," Gordon said. "I just want to go out there and perform well. That really is on my mind. I'm going to leave everything on the line."

Top Bottom