Reaction score
Couple thoughts:

Our OL played a DAMN good game. That Lion defensive front is fucking tough with Suh, Corey Williams, and Van Damme. Kosier played particularly well going against Suh most of the time, with help from Costa. The OT's looked good as well, and Nagy did a good job with some pulls too. Got a nice push in the run game as well, you could tell especially in the third and fourth quarters, when we did decide to run the ball we were having pretty good success at getting chunks of yards at a time. Good sign for the young OL.

Watched Newman again on D, and i still don't get how far he lines up off his man most of the time. Watch Jenk, or Ball/Walker when they play the outside..none of them line up that far off their man nearly as much. I don't know if he just doesn't have confidence or what, but the last couple years he does that alot, and its no coincidence that he gives up so many catches in front of him. My count was at least 6 completions in front of him against the Lions. He simply doesn't contest passes nearly enough for a guy with his athletic ability. I'll give him credit he usually makes the sure tackle, but you can throw passes underneath on him all day.

Walker had a silly penalty at the end there in the end zone, but why the hell is he being asked to cover a huge physical TE at the goalline anyway? Pettigrew isn't a scrub. Seems silly.. and it happened once before in the game where Walker made a nice play to break up the TD catch.

Lee played another good game, although he didn't show up in the box score as much. He's going to be very very good for a long time if he can stay healthy.

Ware really needs to learn not to jump upfield so far in his pass rush. There were a few times this game where he did that and it seemed like the Lions knew he probably would because they ran right where he lined up and got some nice runs out of it. I noticed this problem with Ware last season, but he does have a tendancy to go upfield too much, too quickly and run himself out of the play.

Sean Lissemore.. i bet we'll be hearing from this guy alot more. He seems like a disruptive guy at DE who will only get better with experience and i wouldn't be suprised to see him starting next season. I saw him near the ball or pushing the pocket alot against the Lions. Nice job.

...and Felix. I think this guy gets a shitty rap. He's playing with a seperated shoulder and has had two very nice games in a row now. Not as many big plays against the Lions but just a couple solid runs and he shows the ability to make something out of nothing on the reg. Carried some defensive players a couple times as well. He's alot better and tougher than some give him credit for.. def not a scat back.

I'll give Sensabaugh some credit.. he's key to communicating on the back end apparently because we were simply not as good when he went out. I think there's probably something to what the one Lions receiver said about the defense not playing as hard in the second half though. You could definitely tell because we didn't get much pressure at all compared to the first half. Sad to see that shit happening with a Ryan D.

63echo

Reaction score
Props for watching that shitfest again. I was going to hit it up this morning, but couldn't bring myself to do it.

Nice observations though, and you're dead on about Ware. He does that a lot, but it seemed like he was taking himself out more than usual on Sunday. And not just a little out of the play, either.

He's still my homie, though.

Reaction score
Props for watching that shitfest again. I was going to hit it up this morning, but couldn't bring myself to do it.

Nice observations though, and you're dead on about Ware. He does that a lot, but it seemed like he was taking himself out more than usual on Sunday. And not just a little out of the play, either.

He's still my homie, though.

Yea.. idk it wasn't that tough for me. There was alot of good to take out of that game, and i enjoyed watching us rack up that big lead again and i tried to focus in on a few units in particular at certain points of the game. The OL really did look very good against that tough line though. I was really impressed.

DoomsdayDefense

Practice Squad
Reaction score
On the one hand, having missed the game, I want to say this is informative. On the other hand, after reading your analysis on our secondary, I'm not sure if I should really pay this any mind.

Reaction score
On the one hand, having missed the game, I want to say this is informative. On the other hand, after reading your analysis on our secondary, I'm not sure if I should really pay this any mind.

lol

Dudeeeeee.. all i said is "Newman gives up alot of completions in front of him that go uncontested". If you haven't seen that in the last year and a half for yourself, you arn't watching any of the games. It wasn't intended to be some huge, controversial statement.. there are just alot of people who can't admit Newman isn't very effective anymore.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
lol

Dudeeeeee.. all i said is "Newman gives up alot of completions in front of him that go uncontested". If you haven't seen that in the last year and a half for yourself, you arn't watching any of the games. It wasn't intended to be some huge, controversial statement.. there are just alot of people who can't admit Newman isn't very effective anymore.

He played pretty well vs Washington, and I didnt see any of the struggles you spoke of vs Detroit either. He gave up the TD to CJ, but the guy has 5-6 inches on him. As long as the ball is thrown high there's very little any DB can do there, and the ball was thrown where it was supposed to.

Detroit did basically nothing offensively for 3+ quarters. They got almost half their total yds in the 4th qtr. Stafford completed les than half his passes, and that was against a secondary playing with two starting CB's nowhere near 100%, missing their 3rd CB and then losing FS Sensabaugh during the game.

Reaction score
He played pretty well vs Washington, and I didnt see any of the struggles you spoke of vs Detroit either. He gave up the TD to CJ, but the guy has 5-6 inches on him. As long as the ball is thrown high there's very little any DB can do there, and the ball was thrown where it was supposed to.

Detroit did basically nothing offensively for 3+ quarters. They got almost half their total yds in the 4th qtr. Stafford completed les than half his passes, and that was against a secondary playing with two starting CB's nowhere near 100%, missing their 3rd CB and then losing FS Sensabaugh during the game.

In this case.. Stafford's overall completion percentage isn't really as relevant, as say.. his completion percentage on balls thrown Newman's way. Find that number and then we may have a debate here. But if you didn't notice alot of balls completed in front of him i'd say go back and watch the game again. On the same note, i'll say if you haven't noticed this being a problem all of last season, you really should watch him more closely.

Top Bottom