dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Cowboys have free agent bait in water
July, 30, 2011
Jul 306:41PM Todd Archer

SAN ANTONIO -- Cowboys owner and general manager Jerry Jones said the Cowboys, “have a lot of bait in the water,” when it comes to whatever the team’s next move is and he hinted that the team could have more than two decisions upcoming.

“If you had told me three days ago we’d be sitting there with [Kyle] Kosier and [Marcus] Spears as well as Doug Free signed, I would’ve taken that for sure,” Jones said.

Jones said it is possible the Cowboys could sign two safeties and he would not rule out adding another defensive end even with the acquisitions of Spears and Kenyon Coleman.

“We knew we had to be ready to move decisively, ready to move quickly,” Jones said. “We knew we had some key things we wanted to get done relative to continuity on this team.”

Finding a safety is at the top of the list now and the team has had talks with Abram Elam, who spent the last two years in Cleveland with Rob Ryan and was a Cowboy in 2006. Gerald Sensabaugh, the starter the last two years, is also an option.

The contracts signed by Quintin Mikell, Roman Harper and Eric Weddle, all averaging $7 to $8 million a year, have floated the price tag.

“I am impressed by the kinds of numbers some of those early safeties have gotten, but having said that we’re not out of the running for a free agent safety at all,” Jones said.

Reaction score
While it's anti-climatic and quite frankly, boring... I applaud how we've handled the free agency period.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Description of a ******:

Cowboy fan who bashes front office for having cap problems, then complains that we dont sign every big name free agent reardless of what kind of deal they get

X Dawg

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Definition of a Cowboys ****** -is a Cowboys fan who thinx we have a Front Office....

63echo

Reaction score
From the Brandon George writeup on the same interview:

Jones said it's unlikely the Cowboys will add an offensive lineman because he wants his young players to get the chance to shine.

So we're rolling with what have have on the OL. Pray for Romo.

Reaction score
You can literally never put any stock in anything Jerry says. In fact, you can almost go with the opposite.

Reaction score
Jones will get #1 receiver money from some team foolish enough to ignore his tendency for easy drops.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
From the Brandon George writeup on the same interview:

So we're rolling with what have have on the OL. Pray for Romo.

He didnt say they wouldnt sign someone at all, says he wants the young players to get a legit chance. They can sign a vet the week before the season starts if they have to.

63echo

Reaction score
He didnt say they wouldnt sign someone at all, says he wants the young players to get a legit chance. They can sign a vet the week before the season starts if they have to.

I'm all for giving the young guys a lot of work, but it makes me nervous going in relying on the collection of bodies we have with no particular plan to add depth or a starter if things don't pan out before week 1.

Echoing Midswat, Jerry is as big a liar (or poker player, if you prefer) as there is, so it wouldn't surprise me if we sign a guard tomorrow.

CowboysRMX

In the Rotation
Reaction score
I'm liking how jerry is handling the fa period. He freed up caproom but didn't go stupid with the cap he created. He signed players the team needed and shored up a dl rotation. Safety should be taken care of now then if anything is left and the right situation arises I hope a vet we is brought in. but then id like to see ogletree given a chance

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I just don't get all of the optimism. It's getting very Zone'ish all of the sudden. I do understand some of the people who are saying be patient but the blind optimism is crazy.

*3rd WR - Yes, Roy Williams was overpaid for and overpaid but on the field talent-wise, he was/is better than the cast of characters we are mentioning for the important 3rd WR spot. Ogletree, Holley, Manny Johnson, or Dwayne Harris? These are all 5th WR/Special Team contributor types.

*RT - I'm the biggest Tyron Smith on this board but to not think there won't be some growing pains here is crazy. Especially with the next need...

*RG - Again, why are so many assuming a guy (Montrae Holland) who couldn't beat out Leonard Davis last year, will suddenly be better than Davis? This isn't a young guy who is developing and waiting his turn. Holland has eaten his way off 2 NFL teams and has now showed up to camp in horrible shape. With Smith playing RT, we need some talent and experience in that RG spot.

*Safety - I get that you guys think teams are overpaying for guys. That makes sense. At the same time, what will be left when we finally sign a guy? The guys no one else wanted to pay. Elam may still bail us out here but who's the other safety. This was a position of desperate need for a few years now yet we rely on Campo and a cast of undrafted no-name's. The position should have been addressed aggressively and immediately.

*Inside Linebacker - We looked slow and old here last year. So we decide to bring back Brooking. How do we expect improvement here? Lee looks like a keeper but Carter isn't healthy yet and once he is, there is still an adjustment to make from weakside 4-3 OLB to ILB.

I love our skill positions on offense (we still need a better 3rd WR) but with Felix and Martellus we might be able to hide that weakness. I still wonder who's going to get the tough yards for us on goal lines and short down distances. Barber had to go but we replaced him with a very Felix-like scatback in DeMarco Murray. I think Ryan will get the most out of talented guys like Ware, Ratliff, and even Newman. I am hopeful he can turn around Mike Jenkins and I think Spencer will perform in a contract year.

I just haven't seen anything (yet) that makes me think we can challenge for the NFC title. That's what the goal should be with this franchise and with the talent we have on offense. 9-7 and a quick playoff exit is not a success for me (unless we are on the way back from rebuilding). Romo's window is now.

I'm sorry if this is too negative for anyone. This is just how I see it right now.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
I just haven't seen anything (yet) that makes me think we can challenge for the NFC title. That's what the goal should be with this franchise and with the talent we have on offense. 9-7 and a quick playoff exit is not a success for me (unless we are on the way back from rebuilding). Romo's window is now.

I'm sorry if this is too negative for anyone. This is just how I see it right now.

Coming off of last year, expecting to jump right back into contention is pretty unrealistic. Especially with the abbreviated camp with a new defense coming in, and with like you said, minimal improvements added to it.

NoShame

UDFA
Reaction score
I just don't get all of the optimism. It's getting very Zone'ish all of the sudden. I do understand some of the people who are saying be patient but the blind optimism is crazy.

*3rd WR - Yes, Roy Williams was overpaid for and overpaid but on the field talent-wise, he was/is better than the cast of characters we are mentioning for the important 3rd WR spot. Ogletree, Holley, Manny Johnson, or Dwayne Harris? These are all 5th WR/Special Team contributor types.

*RT - I'm the biggest Tyron Smith on this board but to not think there won't be some growing pains here is crazy. Especially with the next need...

*RG - Again, why are so many assuming a guy (Montrae Holland) who couldn't beat out Leonard Davis last year, will suddenly be better than Davis? This isn't a young guy who is developing and waiting his turn. Holland has eaten his way off 2 NFL teams and has now showed up to camp in horrible shape. With Smith playing RT, we need some talent and experience in that RG spot.

*Safety - I get that you guys think teams are overpaying for guys. That makes sense. At the same time, what will be left when we finally sign a guy? The guys no one else wanted to pay. Elam may still bail us out here but who's the other safety. This was a position of desperate need for a few years now yet we rely on Campo and a cast of undrafted no-name's. The position should have been addressed aggressively and immediately.

*Inside Linebacker - We looked slow and old here last year. So we decide to bring back Brooking. How do we expect improvement here? Lee looks like a keeper but Carter isn't healthy yet and once he is, there is still an adjustment to make from weakside 4-3 OLB to ILB.

I love our skill positions on offense (we still need a better 3rd WR) but with Felix and Martellus we might be able to hide that weakness. I still wonder who's going to get the tough yards for us on goal lines and short down distances. Barber had to go but we replaced him with a very Felix-like scatback in DeMarco Murray. I think Ryan will get the most out of talented guys like Ware, Ratliff, and even Newman. I am hopeful he can turn around Mike Jenkins and I think Spencer will perform in a contract year.

Excellent post.

At RG I want a mauler.. We have to run the ball in our division to win and especially against the Eagles.

Safety we might be a little screwed. Elam is a decent option but he's not as good as he's been hyped up to be lately. Best thing for him is he knows the defense and our guys. We need a FS yet and theres none out there. I've accepted the fact that whoever we get is a stop gap player.

ILB - I agree 100%. We're old and slow there. If it were up to me we'd have two new starters there. Sean Lee and I woulda signed Kirk Morrison. Cutting Brooking and James. Bruce Carter and I would sign Anthony Waters for depth.

3rd WR - We need someones else theres no doubt about it. I love competition. If Olgetree is the guy then he's gonna have to earn it not be handed the spot just because. Harris is a 6th round pick. Love everyone's optimism there but come on be serious for a minute. He's not ready for a 3rd spot.

Top Bottom