Iamtdg

Reaction score
I ignored it because Billy Clinton fixed the welfare problem. The era of big government was over. Or some such.

I'm totally against federal welfare. It should be abolished. The States can have it and fund it if they want.

Every time some problem such as this comes up people call for bigger federal government. Whereas if they would be patient, they would see that the market moderates this kind of crap.

The Feds wouldn't ban it anyway, they would just TAX it.

Totally agree. But, that's not happening, so the fastest and easiest solution to this is shutting down the sharks so more don't go on welfare.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Totally agree. But, that's not happening, so the fastest and easiest solution to this is shutting down the sharks so more don't go on welfare.
But, there is NO way the federal G gives up a new revenue source. If the hue and cry to ban these operations catches Washington's attention, they won't ban it, they'll just tax it.

Iamtdg

Reaction score
But, there is NO way the federal G gives up a new revenue source. If the hue and cry to ban these operations catches Washington's attention, they won't ban it, they'll just tax it.

Exactly, and that's bullshit. They should stop it.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Exactly, and that's bullshit. They should stop it.
Why are you against competition in the marketplace moderating this? It's already started, with some major banks now getting in the game. Once that becomes common these shark operations will have to either compete, or go under.

Hoofbite

Draft Pick
Reaction score
And, they should be allowed.

I didn't argue if it was predatory or not.

I knew a lady who had a mortgage - and I shit you not this was in 2004 - and it was 21.5% APR. I couldn't believe my eyes. Some quick math on this showed she would never live to pay any of the principal, but by that time assuming she reached age 80 could have bought three of the same house for what she was paying for this one. Unbelievable. Despite ALL big gubmint regulation done to appease the loud, shrill emos, this was and is today, still legal.

THAT was predatory. People are all to willing to trade "predatory" private enterprise for truly predatory, big gubmint.

The problem is, people wail and scream for more government, more government, more regulations, more regulations just so they can "feel" better about some problem or another, and that's what they get. Just stop it.

Should be allowed to sell organs?

Fuck, lol. In the words of Lewis Black, "there's not enough deodorant in the world for this conversation".

Reaction score
free market everything guys just ignore basically all of history that tells us why that's a terrible idea

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
free market everything guys just ignore basically all of history that tells us why that's a terrible idea
There's NEVER been a time where the market wasn't government regulated to some degree.

Another long debunked canard bites the dust.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
they should be allowed to sell, but it should be illegal to buy.
It's interesting the lines that get drawn. You can donate a kidney or a lung but cannot sell same. You can donate everything, post mortem but can't pre-sell or sale after the fact, with proceeds going wherever you direct.

But, the donated organs ARE bought, the hospitals charge for the parts and labor on transplant operations.

jeebus

UDFA
Reaction score
It's interesting the lines that get drawn. You can donate a kidney or a lung but cannot sell same. You can donate everything, post mortem but can't pre-sell or sale after the fact, with proceeds going wherever you direct.

But, the donated organs ARE bought, the hospitals charge for the parts and labor on transplant operations.
I thought this argument was settled in 500 BC when Athens outlawed selling yourself into slavery to pay off debt.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I thought this argument was settled in 500 BC when Athens outlawed selling yourself into slavery to pay off debt.
Ha. In that culture, no one owned anything - much less their own bodies.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Greece didnt have property rights?
500 BC we're talking, the war with the Persian Empire was about to get into full swing as the Persians controlled most of Northern Greece by this time and were coming after Athens. No, there were no ownership rights for most people.

This is all still, dodging the question, which was - "Who owns your body."

Like, today and stuff.

jeebus

UDFA
Reaction score
500 BC we're talking, the war with the Persian Empire was about to get into full swing as the Persians controlled most of Northern Greece by this time and were coming after Athens. No, there were no ownership rights for most people.

This is all still, dodging the question, which was - "Who owns your body."
I dodged nothing, I said you own your own body, but it should be illegal to buy someone else's.

Now on to your complete gibberish. Greece was an agrarian society, and those don't exist without property rights. Just because the Persians conquered parts of Greece, that has nothing to do with property rights in a free Athens. And of course not everybody had property rights, the tucking citizens did.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Now on to your complete gibberish. Greece was an agrarian society, and those don't exist without property rights. Just because the Persians conquered parts of Greece, that has nothing to do with property rights in a free Athens. And of course not everybody had property rights, the tucking citizens did.
It's actually very few, highly depending on which kingdom, fiefdom or city-state one might be in. It's nothing at all resembling the US in any way, in that regard.

Not that surprising someone there somewhere said you can't sell your body or body parts.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I dodged nothing, I said you own your own body, but it should be illegal to buy someone else's.
Re: the bolded, my apologies. i got you confused with another poster, who definitely IS dodging the question.

As to the rest - that's macabre. Buying dead bodies. EEEEWWWWWWWW!

Top Bottom