C

Cr122

John Garrett on Jason Witten and Martellus Bennett: 'They are interchangeable'

10:58 PM CDT on Thursday, August 26, 2010

SportsDayDFW.com

Dallas Cowboys tight end coach John Garrett was interviewed on KESN-FM on Wednesday to discuss the growth of Martellus Bennett , the loss of John Phillips and the younger players vying for a spot. Here are some highlights:

Is Martellus Bennett a good enough blocker at the point of attack that the Cowboys can be as effective with a two tight end set as when they still had John Phillips?

Oh yes, no doubt about it. Again, they play different roles. Martellus Bennett is typically with his hands down on the line of scrimmage as the ‘Y’ and John Phillips was more as the ‘F’ tight end in motion, performing his blocking responsibilities on the move, in motion and from the backfield. So, they play different roles and Martellus Bennett can be a very effective blocker and he has proven to be one at the point of attack because he’s shown the ability to move people off the line of scrimmage, even the big defensive lineman. So we’re pleased with his role and his performance as a run blocker.

So are Martellus Bennett and Jason Witten more similar than they are different?

Well, again, they are interchangeable. There are times when we play Witten at ‘Y’ and there are times when we play him at ‘F’. And that is based upon what we are trying to do, whether it’s a run or a pass. We try not to let the defense just key in on what plays we run when this guy plays a certain position and this guy plays a certain position. So you need that versatility to keep the defense off guard and they play both positions. It could change: one play, Martellus is the ‘Y’, next play he’s the ‘F’. So we really try to keep the defense off balance with how we call the personnel.

With the dress rehearsal game against Houston coming, who is the Cowboys’ third tight end behind Witten and Bennett?

Well, we’re not sure right now. I mean, that job is still open and we are anxiously awaiting to see who is really going to step up and make plays and take that role. Another kid that’s done well for us is Jason Pociask. He’s come in and picked up the offense well along with Martin Rucker and DajLeon Farr. One of those guys is going to emerge and they’re all going to play and we’re all going to see how they react and play in the game.

Will the Cowboys utilize Jason Witten more often in the end zone this season with tight end play action after not doing so much last year?

I would check your records because Jason Witten did catch a touchdown on that very play this year against the Giants and John Phillips caught one against the Eagles. So we do use the tight end down there. We, obviously, are not showing our full arsenal in the preseason of how we’re going to use anyone: receivers, tight ends, backs in the end zone because these are our preseason games. So, we know the effectiveness of our players and how we’re going to use them down there and feel very confident that we’ll be able to spread the ball around down there so defenses can’t key on one or two guys.

The offense has been really plain in the preseason so far. Is that because the Cowboys just want to see what their young players can do on just skill alone?

Well, basically, yes. Preseason games are used primarily to evaluate talent and to set your roster. Also, you don’t want to show too much, particularly in a game like the one upcoming against Houston because we play them in the regular season. So you certainly hold things back. Things that you want to do…you’re almost chomping at the bit to say, “Hey, this play would really work.” But we can’t use it because we play them during the season, so you become very vanilla, very basic. You’re still sound, there are still good plays but they’re base plays, they’re common plays that almost everybody has but you’re still using them to evaluate talent.

To listen to the interview, click here.

• • •
SPORTSDAYDFW NOW ON MOBILE

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
Until Bennett proves otherwise, I wouldn't depend on him to wipe his own ass by himself, let alone take up the slack left by J.Phillips.

C

Cr122

Ayuh, I'm in the same boat as you about Bennett.

Show me this year that you are ready and able.

I hear the same shit every year.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Until Bennett proves otherwise, I wouldn't depend on him to wipe his own ass by himself, let alone take up the slack left by J.Phillips.

Looking at the stats, what has Phillips done moreso than Bennett? I like Phillips, but he's the #3 TE. People come down on Bennett, when the guy had a sophmore slump.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Ayuh, I'm in the same boat as you about Bennett.

Show me this year that you are ready and able.

I hear the same shit every year.

Well Bennett is starting his thrid year. He had an excellant rookie year, so not sure what you are talking about.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
Looking at the stats, what has Phillips done moreso than Bennett? I like Phillips, but he's the #3 TE. People come down on Bennett, when the guy had a sophmore slump.

Phillips doesn't come up small when called upon. Imo, you can't depend on Bennett who is supposed to be some uber talented TE, but Phillips has proven to be dependable when we've needed him. I'll admit, Bennett looked like a monster his rookie year. I'll also admit that he rubbed me the wrong way by acting like a 10 year old on youtube or whatever the hell he was doing. IMO, Phillips is the better TE today, Bennett has the tools everywhere but upstairs to be a monster in this league. Maybe he's turned the corner and gotten pissed at the world like he claims. He needs to prove it.

I'll take the guy who may be limited yet does his job over the guy who is getting by on potential that hasn't been realized.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Phillips doesn't come up small when called upon. Imo, you can't depend on Bennett who is supposed to be some uber talented TE, but Phillips has proven to be dependable when we've needed him. I'll admit, Bennett looked like a monster his rookie year. I'll also admit that he rubbed me the wrong way by acting like a 10 year old on youtube or whatever the hell he was doing. IMO, Phillips is the better TE today, Bennett has the tools everywhere but upstairs to be a monster in this league. Maybe he's turned the corner and gotten pissed at the world like he claims. He needs to prove it.

I'll take the guy who may be limited yet does his job over the guy who is getting by on potential that hasn't been realized.

In what instance? It was Phillips ROOKIE YEAR. The same thing you say about Phillips in his ROOKIE YEAR, could also be applied to Bennett in his ROOKIE YEAR. But Bennett's rookie year was far more impressive. How was Phillips really any more dependable? I'll tell you what about dependability. Go back and look at that 70-yard TD run by Felix against the Eagles in the playoffs. Take a look and see who's textbook block sprung Felix for that run. I'll give you a hint, it wasn't Phillips.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
How many balls did Bennett drop last year? Seemed like a ton. The guy is a dumb ass, plain and simple. If you need any proof of that, spend 5 minutes watching one of his videos. He's immature and it rubs people the wrong way.

If you don't care about the stupid shit he does/did off the field, fine, but some of us don't have to like it or brush it off as just fun and games. He's a child. He needs to grow up and decide what he wants to do, play football and treat it like a responsibility, or goof off with his posse on the interweb. The last few months it seems like he's treating his job like he has a responsibility to his team. I give him credit for that, but I'm not ready to say that he's interchangeable with Jason Witten. I would feel more comfoprtable with Jon Phillips backing up Jason Witten going into the season. If for no other reason, I don't have to listen to stories about Phillips goofing off on the internet while I watch him drop footballs.

The two things may have little to do with eachother, I don't know for sure. I will say this though, maybe if 'Tellus spent the 10 minutes that he uses to make a F'n interenet video on the Jugs machine, maybe he catches a few more of those footballs coming his way.

Hopefully he changes my mind, but right now, I don't see him as interchangeable as Jon Phillips is/was with Jason Witten.

Not every player goes through a sophomore slump.

C

Cr122

Well Bennett is starting his thrid year. He had an excellant rookie year, so not sure what you are talking about.

I'm talking about his lame ass excuses for not performing the way he's suppose to.

Yeah, he did good his rookie year, but aren't you suppose to improve your game?

No, instead he likes to play with his computer and make dumb ass videos, and not concentrate on football. He's being paid to play football and be a professional.

Now he's nursing injuries and what's his next excuse? His injuries are setting him back? I'm sick of hearing about it, Phillips will take his spot on this roster within the next two years, book it. He's lucky that Phillips got hurt or it would of been this year.

Top Bottom