Reaction score
How Jason Garrett has put his imprint on the Dallas Cowboys
Jean-Jacques Taylor, ESPN Staff Writer

IRVING, Texas -- Rod Marinelli handles the Dallas Cowboys' defense, and Scott Linehan calls the plays.

Will McClay finds the players, and vice president Stephen Jones manages the salary cap.

So what exactly does Jason Garrett contribute to merit the five-year, $30 million deal he received from owner Jerry Jones during the offseason?

After all, before the start of last season, most folks figured Garrett would be among the first coaches fired in 2014. Instead, he led the Cowboys to an NFC East title and their second playoff win since 1996.

Garrett, Bill Parcells and Jimmy Johnson -- not in that order -- are the best coaches in the Cowboys' illustrious history at getting players to perform at a high level by getting inside their heads.

Johnson, who has a psychology degree, did it with fear.

"I felt every minute of every day that I was on the practice field that his eyes were burning a hole in the back of my head," Garrett, a former Cowboys backup QB, once said of Johnson. "There was never a minute of any day that I was around him when he was the head coach of this team that I, as a player, and all the other players and coaches didn't know he was the head coach."

Parcells used fear too. Of course, Johnson and Parcells took that approach because they wielded real power. The players understood neither coach needed Jerry's permission to get rid of them.

Garrett gets similar results with a different approach.

He persuades players to embrace the vision he has for them and the team by creating the highest of standards and demanding his players reach it.

They perform to please him.

"Coach Garrett, he's one of a kind," Dez Bryant said. "I honestly do give him a whole lot of credit for me understanding his offense and him making sure I'm doing everything I'm supposed to. It took time, because he's a perfection-type guy.

"The structure that he lays out in front of us, it makes sense. I think, if you want to be a better person, I'd advise you to listen to him, because the things that Coach Garrett teaches and preaches are amazing, and I love him.

"I love him because he helped me become a better player -- not by the things that we do on the field, just in life, period."

The Cowboys have a roster filled with the "right kind of guys" -- players who were drafted and acquired, in part, because they're predisposed to Garrett's philosophy.

That's why you can walk around the Cowboys' locker room and find player after player who refer to Garrett as inspirational or motivational.

Garrett shields much of that aspect of his personality from the media and the public. We see what he chooses to let us see.

Occasionally, a glimpse of his personality gets revealed when he drops an F-bomb in practice or addresses the crowd at the Cowboys' annual kickoff luncheon.

And, sometimes, it'll happen after a game, like the time his voice quivered as he talked about how proud he was of the Cowboys for a come-from-behind win on the road against Cincinnati less than 24 hours after defensive tackle Josh Brent had been in a one-car accident that resulted in practice squad linebacker Jerry Brown's death.

Finally, Garrett has the power he needs to continue putting his imprint on the franchise. It hasn't always been that way.

Jerry made him fire defensive coordinator Rob Ryan after the 2012 season and shift from the 3-4 defense to the 4-3. A year later, Jerry made Garrett hand over the play-calling duties to former offensive line coach Bill Callahan.

Well, Callahan is now gone and Garrett hired his friend, Linehan, to run the offense in 2014. He trusted Linehan implicitly, which meant he could spend time coaching the entire team -- not just the offense -- and the results have been impressive.

Players perform for Garrett because he's a man of integrity.

"He'll never lie to you," left tackle Tyron Smith said.

Garrett's always telling the team it doesn't matter how much you make or where you drafted, the best players play.

Then they see undrafted free agents such as quarterback Tony Romo, guard Ron Leary and safety Barry Church in the starting lineup. Or they see the team release linebacker Jasper Brinkley, who was guaranteed $2 million.

"I know it made me practice harder and play harder," Church said, "because I felt like I had a real chance to play. He's always treated everyone the same, and that's why we respect him."

And it's why Jerry is happily paying Garrett $6 million a year.

--------------------------------------------

Somewhere, Hostile is sending an open invitation to endlessly fellate his former nemesis, JJT.

Reaction score
From the first day he took over as HC, the players have played hard for him. I don’t know how he does it, maybe much of it is behind the scenes but these players respond to him. Orlando in the luncheon couldn’t hold back tears when thanking Garrett.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Garrett, Bill Parcells and Jimmy Johnson -- not in that order -- are the best coaches in the Cowboys' illustrious history at getting players to perform at a high level by getting inside their heads.
Lol... Better than Landry, eh?

JJT is a lazy idiot, same as ever. He was on Garrett's jock from the start and refused to ever admit he was wrong when we were going 8-8, 8-8, 8-8. Funny how the players started "responding" to him a lot better once Linehan came in.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Lol... Better than Landry, eh?

JJT is a lazy idiot, same as ever. He was on Garrett's jock from the start and refused to ever admit he was wrong when we were going 8-8, 8-8, 8-8. Funny how the players started "responding" to him a lot better once Linehan came in.

Yep.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I don't think JJT forgot Landry. He just wants to be controversial.

In any event, I don't buy any of this and I'm not crowning Garrett without consistent results. He's done less with a franchise QB thank any coach I know.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I don't think Landry was much into "mind games" or a lot of psychology stuff, from hearing former players talk about how he coached they just flat out feared him.

Jimmy and Parcells were feared too, but they also toyed with players heads to motivate them. I think that's what JJT is referring to.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I don't think JJT forgot Landry. He just wants to be controversial.

In any event, I don't buy any of this and I'm not crowning Garrett without consistent results. He's done less with a franchise QB thank any coach I know.

Yep. It's funny, even Norv Freaking Turner won his division three years in a row and got to a conference championship game, and no one thinks he's a great head coach. Why? Partly because he had that franchise QB in place.

And I bet JJT was thinking Jerry-era Cowboys. I hope he doesn't really think Garrett is better at getting his players to perform than Landry. If so, he's even dumber than I thought.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
And I bet JJT was thinking Jerry-era Cowboys. I hope he doesn't really think Garrett is better at getting his players to perform than Landry. If so, he's even dumber than I thought.

That's clearly not what he meant. I know some of you would like to think that's what he meant so you could find something to bitch about, but even JJT isn't stupid enough to believe Garrett is a better coach than Landry or prepared teams better. Landry is one of the top coaches of all time, Red is not.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Rod Marinelli handles the Dallas Cowboys' defense, and Scott Linehan calls the plays.

Will McClay finds the players, and vice president Stephen Jones manages the salary cap.
Let's see, so basically Garrett does nothing, but that was all by design?

Good job Jason, you're really good at whatever it is you were allowed left to do.

Clap, clap, clap!

Statman

Practice Squad
Reaction score

He didn't forget Tom Landry. Tom Landry didn't need to get into his player's head back then. He said himself that he was not a motivator. he believed entirely in preparation.

Jason Garrett will go down in Cowboy history as the 2nd best Head Coach, behind only Tom Landry. He built this team, he installed it's culture, the attributes of this team are patterned after his vision which he described before ever becoming the permanent Head Coach. He told us how he was going to build a winner and then he went out and did it.

He started out as a rookie head Coach, a rookie! Most rookie head Coaches, including Bilichek and Shannahan fail at their first attempt. He practically rebuilt the entire team. her never planned on building this offensive line, he only planned on getting the best players available and they turned out to form a great offensive line, it could just as well have been the defensive line....and it will.

Reaction score
Garrett is the Roger Goodell of coaches.

Overpaid and not sure what exactly he does still, but definitely sure that the less he does, the better.

Reaction score
I could give a fuck what any player says about a coach. Players loved Wade. Players loved Campo. Rarely, if ever, does a head coach trash talk or say anything remotely negative about a coach

Also don't buy the "players play hard" for Garrett. It's rare you find a player or team who doesn't "play hard."

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
Assistant coaches and all-timer QB has saved Garrett's job for now.

Statman

Practice Squad
Reaction score
LOL....nothing has changed here.

A "winner" by definition would be someone that wins more than he loses in the context of being a winning team or a winning coach. Last I heard, this team is 41-31 under Head Coach Jason Garrett. But it's not him, right? It's Jerry....or Stephen....or the scouting department.....or.....anyone but Jason! Well, what took these guys so long? They got smart all of a sudden. after the Green Bay humiliation in 2010 they woke up the next morning as Hall of Fame executives? Gimme a break!

Reaction score
I don't think Landry was much into "mind games" or a lot of psychology stuff, from hearing former players talk about how he coached they just flat out feared him.

Jimmy and Parcells were feared too, but they also toyed with players heads to motivate them. I think that's what JJT is referring to.

Drew Pearson said that Landry appeared very strict and cold but Landry would do things that showed he cares deeply for the players. He managed the team by insisting that players can be replaced within the system and be equally successful so there was a fear of being replaced. Machiavelli stated that as a leader it is better to be feared than loved. Landry, Johnson, and to an extent Parcells (he had "his guys") used fear to lead. Wade, Jason, and Campo try to lead with relationship (love).

Reaction score
LOL....nothing has changed here.

A "winner" by definition would be someone that wins more than he loses in the context of being a winning team or a winning coach. Last I heard, this team is 41-31 under Head Coach Jason Garrett. But it's not him, right? It's Jerry....or Stephen....or the scouting department.....or.....anyone but Jason! Well, what took these guys so long? They got smart all of a sudden. after the Green Bay humiliation in 2010 they woke up the next morning as Hall of Fame executives? Gimme a break!

That Green Bay was a) a defense pounding of Romo. Capers said that Dallas was not only repeating exactly what was on the game film but he said Dallas just kept lining up the same play so he kept blitzing Matthews and the OLBs the same way every play. Green Bay had short fields fr the offense. The Dallas offense couldn't move and just kept giving the ball up to Green Bay.
b) the Green Bay debacle was 7 points on offense. I understand the firing of Wade if the offense was scoring 27 points a game and Wades defense was giving up 28. But this was absurd.
c) the game where Seattle spanked Dallas 3 years ago, the defense destroyed Jason's offense and Jerry said that Rex Ryan being fired had to do with how his defense played in that game.

Top Bottom