dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Jason Garrett, Rod Marinelli must do more for Cowboys

Jean-Jacques Taylor, ESPN Staff Writer

IRVING, Texas -- Jason Garrett hasn’t helped his team enough during the Dallas Cowboys’ seven-game losing streak. Neither has defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli.

It’s because of their philosophical approach.

Garrett and Marinelli are each old school in their approach to the game. They believe in the power of simplicity. They don’t want their players thinking too much on the field; they want them playing fast and to do a few things well.

They're not into trickery; they're into whipping the man in front of them.

Garrett saw that approach up close as a backup quarterback, when the Cowboys were winning Super Bowls in the 90s. The Cowboys didn’t use much shifting or motion and every defensive coordinator knew Emmitt Smith was running lead draw and Michael Irvin was going to catch the skinny post from quarterback Troy Aikman. And they still couldn’t stop it.

When Marinelli won a Super Bowl as Tampa Bay’s defensive coordinator, the Bucs used a simple defensive approach anchored by Hall of defensive tackle Warren Sapp, Hall of Fame linebacker Derrick Brooks and safety John Lynch, who’s receiving strong Hall of Fame consideration.

These Cowboys, ravaged by injuries, don't have anything close to the type of talent those Cowboys or Bucs had, so they need the coaching staff to provide more of an edge.

For the most part, during this seven-game losing streak, Garrett and Marinelli have asked their players to work harder and improve a little more each day individually and collectively.

"As you go through the season, whether you’ve had success or adversity, you're always trying to do things better,” Garrett said. "We’ve certainly tried to do that as a coaching staff. I've tried to do that and each of our coaches on both sides of the ball have tried to do that.

"To suggest we’re questioning how we do things. I don’t think that’s accurate.”

That’s the point. Maybe, they should question how they do things. During this losing streak, the Cowboys have blown four halftime leads, three fourth-quarter leads and lost twice in overtime.

They’ve used Lucky Whitehead on some jet sweeps and lined up Cole Beasley in the backfield to create matchup issues for defenders, and Darren McFadden has attempted one halfback pass. Obviously, there have been some subtle changes in the running and passing game, but nothing dramatic enough to make a difference.

Three times during this losing streak, the Cowboys have failed to score an offensive touchdown.

"What we have to do as coaches is evaluate ourselves,” Garrett said. "Are we giving these guys the best chance to execute at a high level? Then the accountability goes to the player.

“Certainly the things we’re convicted about don’t change. There’s no question about that. Those are all things we as a coaching staff believe in and anybody who follows football believes in the same kinds of things: hard work, preparation, fighting, competing and being a relentless football team.”

No one coaches his unit to be more relentless than Marinelli. After all, he charts every time a player fails to hustle in practice or a game. He preaches the concept of swarming the runner and gang tackling. Normally, his teams are near the top of the league in turnovers.

But the Cowboys have forced just six turnovers this season, only Baltimore has fewer, and they rank 22nd in the NFL with 16 sacks.

Marinelli, though, hates blitzing. He believes in rushing four and dropping seven into coverage. The Cowboys have blitzed on just 17 of 88 third-down pass plays (19.3 percent), among the league’s lowest totals.

“You just keep coaching. That’s the best part about it,” Marinelli said. “You just keep believing in it. You don’t get frustrated, you just stay on the details we’ve been working on since Day 1.”

He’s talking about playing the proper gap control and taking the correct angle, when chasing a ball-carrier. He’s talking about all of the things a good defense does, and all of the things the Cowboys have done inconsistently this season.

Hope exists for this season because the New York Giants are the only team in the NFC East that’s .500. But it all starts with beating the Miami Dolphins and winning for the first time in two months.

“Everybody has a hand in it: coaches, players, offense, defense and kicking game. Everybody,” Garrett said. "We’re all going to look at ourselves and make sure we focus on ourselves and focus on what we can do today to get better.

"What did we do that prevented us from winning the game -- we were close again -- in the fourth quarter we didn’t do what was necessary. We didn’t get a stop on defense, we didn’t make a play on offense that allowed us to win the ballgame.”

And they didn’t get enough help from their coaching staff.

Reaction score
I wouldn't question the work of any player or assistant coach until you remove the main cancer that is Howdie Doody. He's incapable of coaching or maximizing talent, so we could have the next Jerry Rice and Reggie White on our roster and not even know it.

It's like appointing someone who can't do math to secretary of treasury.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
When our defense is gassed in the fourth quarter repeatedly that is 100% on the coaches for not keeping his team in peak condition

There is never an excuse for a pro athlete to not be able to play a full 60 minute game

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Yeah, that scene where everyone on defense was gasping for breath was pitiful. Doesn't get any more basic than having your team in condition to play.

Pretty much inexcusable, and should put an end to the "tough training camp" and "tough practices" nonsense. Yet another Garrett falsehood destroyed.

cml750

Facepalm
Reaction score
Okay, I have no problem blaming Garrett but Marinelli has kept the other teams point totals very low. It is not his fault the offense is inept. The offensive ineptness gets blamed on the backup QB when other teams manage to win with backups. It is beyond the capability of Garret to win with a BU QB which shows he is not a good coach.

Reaction score
This coaching staff is so fucking inept... Starting obviously with Garrett.

How many times can you tell the players they have to "do it better"? At some point, you have to recognize that some of them can't do it any better than they are or that they can't do it better than the person they're matched up with. That's when you have to scheme to beat the other man. You're never going to win every matchup at all 22 spots. You have to take the 10-12 spots you're not winning and scheme them a chance to win.

cml750

Facepalm
Reaction score
This coaching staff is so fucking inept... Starting obviously with Garrett.

How many times can you tell the players they have to "do it better"? At some point, you have to recognize that some of them can't do it any better than they are or that they can't do it better than the person they're matched up with. That's when you have to scheme to beat the other man. You're never going to win every matchup at all 22 spots. You have to take the 10-12 spots you're not winning and scheme them a chance to win.

Excellent post. Our current coach adds absolutely nothing to this team. He cant adjust to save his life and has no clue how to take advantage of matchups.

Reaction score
Okay, I have no problem blaming Garrett but Marinelli has kept the other teams point totals very low. It is not his fault the offense is inept. The offensive ineptness gets blamed on the backup QB when other teams manage to win with backups. It is beyond the capability of Garret to win with a BU QB which shows he is not a good coach.

Add to it, our offense does our defense zero favors. I mean, you know, if our offense could score points, then the opponents would feel pressure and take more risks which would lead to turnovers/sacks. As is, opponent offenses know they can play it safe, keep the game close, and odds are they'll take the lead at some point late.

I've noticed a lot of media guys suggesting Marinelli is to fault for this season.... I don't understand that at all.

cml750

Facepalm
Reaction score
Add to it, our offense does our defense zero favors. I mean, you know, if our offense could score points, then the opponents would feel pressure and take more risks which would lead to turnovers/sacks. As is, opponent offenses know they can play it safe, keep the game close, and odds are they'll take the lead at some point late.

I've noticed a lot of media guys suggesting Marinelli is to fault for this season.... I don't understand that at all.
Agree 100%!!!!! You have to look above the DC spot to the HC spot to find the issues with this team.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
"What we have to do as coaches is evaluate ourselves,” Garrett said. "Are we giving these guys the best chance to execute at a high level? Then the accountability goes to the player.

You're in year 5 stupid and you've been a failure. A little self-evaluation is in order.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score

I agree with this. And then take into account what Marinelli has to work with: you cannot consistently win with having Church and Wilcox, manning two of the more important positions on defense.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
When our defense is gassed in the fourth quarter repeatedly that is 100% on the coaches for not keeping his team in peak condition

There is never an excuse for a pro athlete to not be able to play a full 60 minute game

Well it's not just that. I don't care how peak of condition the defense may be, if your offense is constantly going 3 and out, that's going to wear down ANY defense. The defense make a stop and get off the field, before they even have a chance to take their helmets off and/or get a cup of Gatorade, they back on the field. Yeah you going to get gassed after awhile.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score

Way to throw the players under the bus... AGAIN.

cml750

Facepalm
Reaction score
Way to throw the players under the bus... AGAIN.

I quit listening to anything Garrett had to say years ago unless someone post it on a forum. Has he EVER taken any blame for the team doing bad??? If he has, I do not recall. It makes me sick to think we have wasted Romo's career on that idiot.

Top Bottom