NoShame

UDFA
Reaction score
What about Quinn's brain tumor? That doesn't scare you away?

I think he's almost definitely gonna be a double digit sack guy in the NFL if he's healthy. But no way would I invest a top 10 pick in a guy who has to get routine checkups to see if his tumor grew.

Not really. I mean there's a little concern there but if everything checks out then I think thats a gamble you have to take considering he has potential to be a number 1 overall player. To get a guy like that at 9 is a steal I would think.

MichaelWinicki

In the Rotation
Reaction score
I think the Patriots covet Jordan. Maybe not enough to trade up but I doubt he falls past their pick at 17.

One possible scenario I think could play out is the Pats dealing with the Cowboys to move up for Julio Jones. They need a lead WR, they have the extra picks, there's a significant drop off at the position after the first two and there's no way Jones makes it past St. Louis at 14.

It might make sense for the Cowboys too as that puts them in a better position to get value at OT and of course gives them another premium pick to hopefully address one of their many needs.

I'd love to see that trade go through.

C

Cr122

MacMahon - Bigger draft need: CB or DE?

Bigger draft need: CB or DE?
March, 11, 2011
By Tim MacMahon

Nebraska cornerback Prince Amukamara is a popular pick for the Cowboys in mock drafts.

There is a school of thought, however, that defensive end is a much more dire need for the Cowboys. Wisconsin’s J.J. Watt and Cal’s Cameron Jordan are realistic options if the Cowboys decide to go that route.

If the Cowboys do draft a defensive end with the ninth overall pick, they better be certain that they’re getting a special player. It’s a position in limbo with Stephen Bowen, Marcus Spears and Jason Hatcher all on the free agency market, but it’s also the most expendable position in a 3-4 scheme. That’s what a high-ranking Cowboys official told me a couple of years ago while explaining why the franchise made little attempt to prevent Chris Canty from leaving.

Cornerback, on the other hand, ranks right up there with outside linebacker as the most important positions in the scheme. It’s not a coincidence that DeMarcus Ware and Terence Newman are the Dallas defense’s highest-paid players.

“We have to get tremendous players out there on the corner and be able to shut down receivers and again be accurate tacklers,” defensive coordinator Rob Ryan said during his first meeting with the Valley Ranch media. “There is no place in football for a coward and it's definitely not on a corner for us. It's a marquee position and that's what it is here and in the NFL.”

Newman, who turns 33 in September, needs to be replaced in the near future. That doesn’t necessarily mean Newman, who had an extremely rough season while battling a rib injury in 2010, can’t help the Cowboys next season. But they can’t afford to count on him without preparing his successor. And it wouldn’t be a bad thing to give Mike Jenkins, who had an even worse 2010 than Newman, some competition.

Maybe the Cowboys aren’t that high on Amukamara and believe they can get a quality corner in the second or third round. If that’s the case, filling another need in the first round makes sense, whether that means drafting Watt or Jordan or an offensive tackle such as freakishly athletic USC product Tyron Smith.

Having said that, Amukamara would seem to be a safe, smart pick if he’s still on the board at No. 9. It's more important to get a great cornerback than it is to get a great defensive end.

sbk92

Reaction score
Wow. So we have a high ranking official (Last name Jones) who thinks DE is the most expendable position in our defense.

Just wow.

Because they don't make the plays, get the stats, impress the simpletons.....guys with no understanding of the game (Last name Jones) think they are easily expendable.

Welcome to why this team has sucked for nearly two decades.

C

Cr122

Wow. So we have a high ranking official (Last name Jones) who thinks DE is the most expendable position in our defense.

Just wow.

Because they don't make the plays, get the stats, impress the simpletons.....guys with no understanding of the game (Last name Jones) think they are easily expendable.

Welcome to why this team has sucked for nearly two decades.

You can almost guarantee we will take a corner named Prince Amukamara.

Top Bottom