superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
For some reason search isn't going back far enough, but this is what I had to say in November 2008 after we let the Giants run for 2 bills on us...

Jerry didn't have a big selection to choose from when the time came for the HC hiring. Personally I thought if it was going to be Garrett, then he should just get the hell on with it - but he went with Phillips who was the best of a bad group of choices, I guess. I'm assuming there is a reason why Rex Ryan and Ron Rivera aren't having their doors beaten down.

From what I remember when Phillips was hired it was pretty much being presented by the media as Phillips or Norv...and I was firmly on the "Anyone but Norval" bus.

sbk92

Reaction score
This is convoluted logic at it's finest. You're blaming Jerry for hiring a "coordinator" to be a head coach, when Rex Ryan was a coordinator?

At least Wade had been a head coach.

Not all successful coordinators are going to find Rex Ryan success as a head coach. Some are just Dave Campos.

The biggest issue that I had with the Jerry Jones/Wade Phillips relationship, was not letting him go after that Philadelphia Eagles debacle at the end of '08.

No. I'm blaming Jerry for hiring Wade Phillips as a figurehead head coach whose only real responsibility was to coordinate the defense. While his hand picked successor ran the offense.

Making a head coaching hire based on coordinating an area of the team is beyond retarded. It shows a blatant disregard for the importance of a true head coach.

If hiring Wade Phillips to head coach your football team ever made sense to you, it's because you lack sense.

sbk92

Reaction score
The Ryans have had the bad interview label on them for years.

Personally, I think their father has worked against them there. They both have Buddy's brash cockiness. Which is likely to turn off front offices around the league.

Cythim

Reaction score
I love how an assistant coach automatically falls under someone's "tree" just because they coached under them somewhere.

Turner did most of his early coaching under John Robinson at USC. Jimmy Johnson was a defense coach before becoming HC so I don't think you can say Turner is in the Johnson tree.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
No. I'm blaming Jerry for hiring Wade Phillips as a figurehead head coach whose only real responsibility was to coordinate the defense. While his hand picked successor ran the offense.

Making a head coaching hire based on coordinating an area of the team is beyond retarded. It shows a blatant disregard for the importance of a true head coach.

If hiring Wade Phillips to head coach your football team ever made sense to you, it's because you lack sense.

Hiring a coordinator who has coached a football team makes a hell of a lot more sense than hiring someone who has been nothing but a coordinator.

Whoever Jerry hired would have been a lame duck waiting for Jason garrett to replace him anyways.

sbk92

Reaction score
Hiring a coordinator who has coached a football team makes a hell of a lot more sense than hiring someone who has been nothing but a coordinator.

Whoever Jerry hired would have been a lame duck waiting for Jason garrett to replace him anyways.

Wait. So hiring a proven failure at head coach is better than hiring a guy who never had a chance to fail yet?

Tell that to the Jets. And the Cowboys. Jerry made the right decision hiring Wade Phillips over Rex Ryan. lol

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
Wait. So hiring a proven failure at head coach is better than hiring a guy who never had a chance to fail yet?

Tell that to the Jets. And the Cowboys. Jerry made the right decision hiring Wade Phillips over Rex Ryan. lol

Or the Bills hiring Dick Jauron. The Dolphins for hiring Dave Wannstedt. Or the Cowboys for hiring Dave Campo.

I'm not arguing the merits of the decision, just the merits of the reasoning behind it.

What Jerry did wasn't a foreign concept. Former head coaches get recycled year in and year out.

sbk92

Reaction score
Or the Bills hiring Dick Jauron. The Dolphins for hiring Dave Wannstedt. Or the Cowboys for hiring Dave Campo.

Well there's failure in every route.

There are good coordinators who go on to be good head coaches. Good coordinators that don't. It's your job as a f'n GM to find the right guy. Not hire a proven failure because you want him to coordinate your defense.

But you said it all. It made sense to you.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
Well there's failure in every route.

There are good coordinators who go on to be good head coaches. Good coordinators that don't. It's your job as a f'n GM to find the right guy. Not hire a proven failure because you want him to coordinate your defense.

But you said it all. It made sense to you.

Do you even know what reasoning means?

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I still believe Turner would of done a better job, he came from the Jimmy Johnson coaching tree.

What other options were there? There weren't any.

I agree whole heartedly, I do think Norv would have done a better job than Wade.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I love how an assistant coach automatically falls under someone's "tree" just because they coached under them somewhere.

Turner did most of his early coaching under John Robinson at USC. Jimmy Johnson was a defense coach before becoming HC so I don't think you can say Turner is in the Johnson tree.

Sure you can. The guy was the offensive coordinator for Jimmy his last 3 seasons in Dallas, and we won a ton with him, had an unstoppable offense, put tons of offensive guys in the probowl and won 2 super bowls.

Turner was a career position coach before Jimmy hired him as OC.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
The Ryans have had the bad interview label on them for years.

Personally, I think their father has worked against them there. They both have Buddy's brash cockiness. Which is likely to turn off front offices around the league.

I wonder if Rex didnt get a job sooner because when he showed up for an interview, he asked if he could see the owner's secretary's feet.

Top Bottom