C

Cr122

Jimmy Johnson is a fan of Jets head coach Rex Ryan's approach and methods

10:53 PM CDT on Thursday, August 19, 2010

SportsDayDFW.com

Former Dallas Cowboys head coach Jimmy Johnson was interviewed on the Dan Patrick Show on Thursday to discuss Jets head coach Rex Ryan and Vikings quarterback Brett Favre. Here are some highlights:

If you were still the coach of the Cowboys and they wanted to do a show like Hard Knocks, would you let them into camp?

I would have voted against it but I have a feeling my owner, Jerry Jones, would have wanted the visibility, so he probably would have said, “Hey, we’re going to be on Hard Knocks.”

Would have you have changed your personality with what was on camera?

Yea, I think it’s only natural that everybody does that. For one thing, I never got mic’d on the sideline and the NFL films always wanted to mic me and I said, “No, I’m not going to get mic’d because your personality changes.” I remember one story about Bill Bates; I allowed them to mic him and normally he doesn’t say much of anything and that particular first half, he was a chatterbox. He was coming up to me and talking about strategy and saying, “Hey coach, let’s do this and hey coach, let’s do that.” I’d forgotten that we mic’d him. And then finally, I realized why he was such a chatterbox. I said, “Are you mic’d? Get that damn thing off of you. Go back to being a football player and quit worrying about your camera and what you’re saying on the air.”

And I think it just changes everybody’s personality and for that reason, that’s why I was never mic’d because I didn’t want to change my personality. I had a job to do and I didn’t want to all of a sudden put on an act and be a phony. I wanted to be a football coach. But different people have different approaches to it.

What are your thoughts on Rex Ryan and how he is being portrayed on Hard Knocks? What about Tony Dungy’s comments about his language?

Well, I haven’t seen it, I’ve only read about it but football coaches have to relate to their players. And I know I used a lot more foul language normally when I talked to my team then I do in everyday conversation. But the reason I did it is because of my audience. You know, I was talking to a lot of kids that were off the street. They could relate to that much better then what they would if I wasn’t using that language, so you got to know who you’re talking to and what’s the best way to touch them.

Personally, I love Rex Ryan’s approach. I love his bravado. I love the way he approaches his football team, his positive approach, and how he has the self-fulfilling prophesy with his players. I like it and nothing to take away from Tony [Dungy]. Tony is a great football coach and a great man. But again, different personality.

Top Bottom