C

Cr122

Jerry Jones: We need to take advantage of Marc Colombo's absence and see our rookies play

10:12 PM CDT on Tuesday, August 17, 2010
SportsDayDFW.com
Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones was interviewed on KESN-FM on Monday to discuss the Cowboys and the injuries that have been plaguing the team. Here are some highlights:

With Marc Colombo injured and questionable, do the Cowboys wish they had kept Flozell Adams?

Well, you know how much we think of Flozell Adams and what he did. I am just sick that we could never get the team that he was on at the end of the year. But, frankly, [Doug] Free needed a shot, he needed the responsibility. We call it progress stopping, you can do anything you want to call it, but we needed to see him. Now, with that in mind, the bringing on of Alex Barron is, I think, worth pointing out here. And he’s played a lot of right tackle and certainly is there. Plus, we got a couple of newcomers coming and I’m not just dreaming here but we’ll get to see them: [Robert] Brewster and [Sam] Young, from Notre Dame, we get to see those guys play. And frankly, of our young depth, we really need to take advantage of Colombo’s absence and see those guys. I am not uncomfortable at all with where we are with Colombo. I just got word that he had five particles in his knee that were making it ‘click,’ so to speak. He’s probably, if he’s not in surgery right now, he’s going in and they’re taking those five particles out right now with a scope and hopefully will be back in business here within a week or two weeks.

So Colombo will be back for the first game of the regular season?

Yes, yes I do. And the good news about this is that it’s been there. He plays with this and these particles have been there and one just got in there just right to give him cause for concern and wouldn’t tell anybody; he didn’t tell a soul and Andre Gurode had to come up and say, “Look, he won’t admit it but he’s hurting and he needs to be looked at.”

If Colombo isn’t able to return, shouldn’t the Cowboys be very concerned at right tackle with Alex Barron, rookie Sam Young and Robert Brewster, who is essentially a rookie?

With the latter two, yes, now I would be worried because rookie and our experience there, TD and some of the guys that we’ve had that we played with in the past. But, the bottom line is, I feel very good about Alex Barron and about his ability to swing, if that’s what we need, with left and right. You won’t be seeing Free moved; he’s playing too well and that’s where we need our best player and he’s playing at that level. So the good news about this conversation is you just found out how good Free is relative to Flozell and Free is playing extremely well.

Top Bottom