C

Cr122

Jerry Jones, Wade Phillips OK with 18-game schedule; Romo: for a QB it's 'unbelievably awesome'
Posted at 7:47 PM on Wed., Aug. 25, 2010 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
David Moore / Reporter Bio | E-mail | News tips

Owner Jerry Jones said the owners are unified in their desire to move toward an 18-game regular season schedule for the 2012 season.

Head coach Wade Phillips said he would be OK with it.

The players _ which would have to approve the idea for it to be part of the collective bargaining agreement going forward _ have expressed some concerns. Some are for it, others against it and others are undecided.

Put Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo in that third category.

"I don't think anything is ever black or white, that it's just this or just that,'' Romo said. "There are going to be positives and there are going to be negatives from it.
"This is a sport that a lot of very fast, athletic big people play. The more hits they take, you're asking for a lot in that regard.

"At the same point, the game is extremely enjoyable and fun and it provides great entertainment for a lot of people. From a fan's side of it, it's unbelievable awesome. From a quarterback's side of it, it's unbelievably awesome.

"From an offensive or defensive linemen's perspective, I don't know.''

On the question of whether an expanded schedule could shorten careers, Romo said there is no definitive answer, although he did allow that from a statistical standpoint, more games would mean more injuries.

And how does he respond to the claim that in pushing for an 18-game schedule, the owners have elevated entertainment above safety concerns?

"It depends on which player,'' Romo said. "From a quarterback's perspective, we have no problem playing more football games. You ask some of these guys, some of these running backs, that might not be a huge benefit to continue to take hits. That's part of it.

"Personally, I let a lot smarter people than myself make those decisions.''

Top Bottom