Reaction score
By Drew Davison

ddavison@star-telegram.com

Tony Romo turns 36 in April. He’s had two back surgeries in the past three years, and has broken his left collarbone three times since 2010. He hasn’t started all 16 games in a season since 2012.

But that didn’t stop owner Jerry Jones from declaring Romo is in the “ideal time of his career” during a radio interview on 105.3 The Fan (KRLD-FM) on Friday.

Jones brought up Romo in answering a question about what positives Cowboys’ fans can have going forward in the midst of this disastrous season.

“Frankly I like our quarterback, our starter, Romo,” Jones said. “He's in the ideal time of his career. Well, you say, 'Jerry, wouldn't you like for him to be a little less fragile?' The answer is with the way this year has gone, that's fresh on our minds.

“In general though, knowing Tony, I like what we're going to be looking at over the next several years.”

Romo, of course, has only made four starts this season. He broke his collarbone in Week 2 at Philadelphia, and then re-fractured it against Carolina on Thanksgiving. Romo is not expected to play again this season, although the team has yet to put him on injured reserve until they are officially eliminated from postseason contention.

But there’s no mistaken Romo’s value to the team after this injury-plagued season. The Cowboys went 3-1 in games Romo started, and only 1-8 in games he hasn’t.

Romo had a career year in 2014, garnering MVP consideration in leading the Cowboys to the NFC East title and the second round of the playoffs.

This season, though, fell apart for Romo and the Cowboys, and Jones is the first to acknowledge that. But he cited Romo, as well as the return of cornerback Orlando Scandrick, among the factors for promise going into next season.

Additionally, Jones said the Cowboys are in position to upgrade their team through free agency more than they have been in the past.

“We don’t have the challenges with the salary cap that we’ve had in some years past,” Jones said. “We’ve got some room. We can make some things happen. That’s a credit to the management, starting with Stephen [Jones]. I can sit here and say that we’ve got flexibility as we look forward, but that doesn’t mean we should basically be necessarily over aggressive relative to, ‘Well, we’ve got plenty of money.’

“The facts are, we don’t have a real constraint there. We can do some things. There will be opportunities for us, rest assured.”

Read more here: Jerry Jones: Tony Romo is in ‘ideal time of his career’ | The Star-Telegram

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
This kind of pathetic ignorance is why we haven't sniffed a conference championship or a Super Bowl in 20 years

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
:facepalm

Of course Jerry's glimmer of reality after those losses couldn't last long. Back to full-on delusional/salesman mode.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
:facepalm

Of course Jerry's glimmer of reality after those losses couldn't last long. Back to full-on delusional/salesman mode.

Yep. Depend on 1) return of a fragile aging QB who didn't play all that well when he was out this yr and 2) an aging CB who never made many plays anyway and is coming off an ACL tear to return us to glory.

Reaction score
I wonder if Jerry is aware what a joke he sounds like. Does he realize how patently bad his football thoughts/opinions are?

I mean, fuck being a salesman.... be honest. Just say we still have a lot of confidence in Romo. We realize he's getting up there in age, and injuries are a concern, but when healthy we like him better than most QB's out there today. That said, because of the age and injury, its a position we're going to have to evaluate going forward.

You can say that and maintain credibility. You don't create headlines, and you don't sound like a god damned clueless fuckwad.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Ideal time in his career to retire, while he still has functional health he can enjoy.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
JFC :facepalm

As far as the current squad goes, Jones likes where the 'Boys are heading. Most notably at the running back position, Jones believes McFadden can be the lead back next season.

"I don't think you take any player and preclude adding another player with him or behind him. We're going to use him just like we used him this year," Jones said. "And hopefully we'll have him earlier and won't have to be as conservative with him worried about some injury, a little soft tissue area that he had out of camp, hopefully we won't have to walk on egg shells, but have him like we're using him now. And certainly we'll want to have other backs, we'll have (Lance) Dunbar back, but we'll want to have other backs that play a role."

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Yeah, it's been clear to me from comments he's made during the year that he has a true mancrush on his MackFadden, going on about what a great teammate he is and describing him "all man". I'm sure Jerry thinks he looks great in the shower.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I don't have a big problem if they wanted to bring him back and let him be a backup and role player, but come on. Handing the guy the lead role already when he's had an ok year at best?

Reaction score
Brandon George ‏@DMN_George 20m20 minutes ago
Cowboys inactives: Tony Romo, Devin Street, Morris Claiborne, Rolando McClain, Ron Leary, Chaz Green, Geoff Swaim. So Brice Butler is active

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I wonder if Jerry is aware what a joke he sounds like. Does he realize how patently bad his football thoughts/opinions are?

I mean, fuck being a salesman.... be honest. Just say we still have a lot of confidence in Romo. We realize he's getting up there in age, and injuries are a concern, but when healthy we like him better than most QB's out there today. That said, because of the age and injury, its a position we're going to have to evaluate going forward.

You can say that and maintain credibility. You don't create headlines, and you don't sound like a god damned clueless fuckwad.

He'd rather say something stupid (especially if it will give him face time), than to be smartly quiet.

Top Bottom