C

Cr122

10:22 PM CDT on Sunday, August 15, 2010

SportsDayDFW.com

Dallas Cowboys owner and general manager Jerry Jones was interviewed on KRLD-FM on Sunday to discuss the Cowboys and the two pre-season games played so far. Here are some highlights:

What does the team want to get done in Oxnard?

I think now we're into the meat of our preseason games, then the proximity of our practices to the real important part, which is the game against San Diego and the game against the Texans. We can use that good time, we've got a lot of repetitions out there to get that combination of refining what we've put in, what we're doing differently as a coaching staff.

We can basically decide even better what we're going to be able to use. And we can look at it a little bit in those ball games. So these next two weeks with it — obviously next weekend against San Diego and then we'll finish that second week going to Texas. I think this is the heart of our preseason work. We've got to get that all done over the next two weeks.

What do the Cowboys want to see out of Tony Romo in his fourth year as quarterback? What are the expectations for him?

He's quarterbacked the team that certainly had a 12-, 13-game win season, so he's had success there. I think it all would go toward how far and how good we are playoff-wise, how far we can go there.

As far as on an individual-game basis with good health, the expectations I have for him is very similar to what he has done. He refines it. He has gotten better at every part of his game. I think if we can have him on the field, we can win a lot of games and hopefully enough games to really give us some advantage in the playoffs.

It's a team thing, my expectations for him. What can we do as a team? More than your question, which was what do you expect from Tony. I think, at the end of the day, if he can have team success, he'll be known as one of the really outstanding quarterbacks that's played.

What are the expectations for the team this season?

Expectations. I get all of that confused with expectations and promise and hope. There's a lot of me that it'd be like when my friends or family ask me what I want for Christmas when I was a little kid. I wanted it so bad that I'd turn away and couldn't say it. There's a little of that in me right here.

• • •

Top Bottom