Reaction score
Jerry Jones: Cowboys were losing $1 million a month before I took over
By David Moore / Reporter
5:31 pm on November 9, 2012

Jerry Jones was granted a brief respite Friday from questions about the Cowboys losing record and Jimmy Johnson’s barbs to accept an award.

The owner of the Cowboys received the Murphy Award for Lifetime Achievement in Entrepreneurship at a luncheon at the Hilton Anatole. Herb Kelleher, F. Trammell Crow, Nelson Bunker Hunt and H. Ross Perot Sr. are among the 10 previous honorees in this award presented by the University of North Texas.

Jones didn’t field questions before or after the event. In his acceptance speech, which ran just under five minutes, he spoke of sitting around the kitchen table growing up and talking about business with his parents.

Jones said he wrote his master’s thesis on the role of communication in modern day football and mentioned how the Cowboys were losing $1 million a month when he purchased the franchise in 1989.

“I came to an area where I always had an interest, but I knew that Santa Claus didn’t put the tricycle under the Christmas tree,’’ Jones told the crowd. “You really did have to go out and create something, you had to work.’’

Jones thanked his wife, Gene, his sons Stephen and Jerry Jr. and his daughter Charlotte, saying much of the credit he receives comes from their ideas and execution. He wrapped up his speech with his response to those who ask the key to his success as a salesman.

“I say there are five things that make you successful as a salesman,’’ Jones said. “One, ask for the money.

“And I forgot the other four.’’

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Why do I torture myself reading things about this football dolt? This is who he is, a businessman and a salesman, not a football guy.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
No one doubts your business acumen, Jerry. No need to pat yourself on the back.

jeebus

UDFA
Reaction score
What the fvck. Of all sh1t, I know we always talk about jerry being a used car salesman, but do you really want your GM to see himself as a "salesmen"? He doesn't even think he is a football guy or want to be. He wants to break his toys and then convince us to pay for them anyway.

The worst thing is, anyone who ever worked a car lot had that ask for the money line beaten in their head. Jerruh aint just talkin sales, he lives it as his primary job.

Reaction score
He's one hell of a salesman. No question about that.

Horrible owner and GM.

Bitch move not fielding quesions though. Guess he knew what would be coming.

Reaction score
Why in reality Jerry Jones is far from a failure. The man has turned a massive profit after taking over a business. Because fans are so emotionally invested into following the team, he can’t fail even with a sub-par product.

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
^ Exactly

People would much rather see wins than one big unfilmed reality show.

Idiot

Top Bottom