Reaction score
Jerry Jones: Bill Callahan calling offensive plays hasn’t been discussed
By Jon Machota / Special Contributor
12:23 pm on October 5, 2012

Four of Jason Garrett’s worst losses as Cowboys head coach have come in the team’s last six games. The Cowboys have lost those four by an average of 16.5 points.

In a league structured for parity, those lopsided defeats to the Bears, Seahawks, Giants and Eagles are somewhat alarming.

Of course, the Cowboys owner and general manager says he doesn’t see it that way.

“I could go into each game and see how we got on a lopsided score,” Jones said Friday on 105.3 The Fan [KRLD-FM]. “But I thought, candidly, one of the worst games we’ve played is against Tampa. We didn’t play well against Tampa, so the score can be misleading. For instance, I can say turnovers last week against Chicago. I can say we really did become generally careless, I guess would be the word. But once we got three scores down, we were running out of time (and) we certainly did cut and chew and basically throw into … coverage. Chicago’s real good, so those last two interceptions were right into the teeth of what they do the best. They’re a Cover 2 team. You do those outside, little elongated throws in there and you’re going to get them intercepted against Chicago. I look at that. That’s a couple of scores right there. … That’s a couple right there that contributed to the lopsidedness of things.”

Is there too much on Garrett’s plate? With Garrett being both head coach and offensive coordinator, Jones was asked if there has been any talk of handing the play-calling over to offensive line coach Bill Callahan, who also carries the title of offensive coordinator.

“No, there haven’t,” Jones responded.

Entering Friday, the Cowboys ranked last in the NFC in points scored, averaging 16.2 per game. The Jacksonville Jaguars are the only NFL team averaging less at 15.5 per game.

“I believe in a head coach being one of the coordinators,” Jones said. “That’s debatable. I’ve had people say the head coach needs to be what I call a walk-around head coach, and that is he just looks at everything. We’ve had at least two of them in Bill Parcells and Tom Landry — of course I wasn’t here when Tom was here — that did everything. They ran the whole thing. Although they had coordinators or run coaches or passing coaches. I’m sounding a way that I don’t want to sound because it can work.

“I like the coach being one of the coordinators, preferably the offensive coordinator. But of course in Wade Phillips’ case, he was the defensive coordinator. When you do that, you’re going to get in down times, loss times. You’re going to get people to say, ‘They do too much. They’ve just got too much on their plate.’ You have to look at that. Jason has huge capacity to cover a lot of ground, so if anybody can do it, or look to the future, he can.”

Reaction score
Jerry Jones: Cowboys not playing up to expectations, ‘but we haven’t lost ground’
By Jon Machota / Special Contributor
11:19 am on October 5, 2012

The Cowboys have looked nothing like a playoff team in their last three games. Expectations were high after a season-opening victory over the defending Super Bowl champs, but losses to the Seahawks and Bears and an ugly win over the Buccaneers have left the Cowboys looking like a .500 team at best.

Even Jerry Jones had a difficult time putting a positive spin on how his group has played through their first four games.

“We thought we would play better in the last three ballgames,” the Cowboys owner and general manager said Friday on 105.3 The Fan [KRLD-FM]. “Certainly in Seattle, we were not above expectations. But we met expectations and were elated with our first game. But we didn’t play as well against Seattle, a good team, hard team to beat out there. And certainly didn’t have the game we wanted to have out here against Tampa, but we won it. And then we laid an egg here against the Bears. So, I would say that we’re not up to expectations but certainly, at this juncture, not in any way dismayed or in any way thinking we won’t be the team that we want to be.”

With the Cowboys sitting at 2-2, Jones said he sees a league “that is basically 2-2.” Eight other teams share that record with the Cowboys. Two teams are undefeated, one team is 4-1 and eight others have three wins.

“We haven’t really lost ground,” Jones said. “We might have missed some opportunities to gain ground, but we haven’t lost ground. Secondly, I think we can have a chance to be significantly better. The kinds of things that are beating us, are the kinds of things that coaches and players can correct.”

Reaction score
Change the playcaller? Jerry Jones says no
October, 6, 2012
By Calvin Watkins | ESPNDallas.com

The Dallas Cowboys' offense is struggling.

Over the last three weeks, the Cowboys have scored 17 second-half points and committed seven turnovers, all by quarterback Tony Romo.

The running game is bad.

After DeMarco Murray was part of a unit that rushed for 143 yards in Week 1, the run game has produced just 128 rushing yards the last three weeks.

You could say the offense is the reason for a 2-2 record heading into the bye week. Something else might be the problem: Playcaller Jason Garrett.

On his twice-a-week radio show, Cowboys owner/general manager Jerry Jones was asked about switching who calls the plays. Bill Callahan is the offensive line coach/offensive coordinator, but Garrett still calls the offensive plays.

"No, there haven't and that's always been the issue (with fans)," Jones said Friday about talks of a switch. "I believe in a coordinator, a head coach being one of the coordinators. That's debatable. I've had people say the head coach needs to be what I call a walk-around head coach, and that is he just looks at everything."

It's the first time since Garrett was hired as offensive coordinator in 2007 that somebody else holds that title.

Jones said he likes his head coach to assume one of the coordinator duties. Wade Phillips had defensive coordinator duties included in his head coaching job. Bill Parcells, the man who coached before Phillips, was the "walk-around head coach" Jones is talking about.

"You're going to get in down times, in lost times, you're going to get people say '(The head coach) does too much'," Jones said. " 'They just got too much on their plate. You have to look at that.' Jason has huge capacity to cover a lot of ground. If anybody can do it or look to the future, he can."

It doesn't appear, at least on the surface, Garrett is having issues handling the play calling and the head coaching duties. The Cowboys did miss the playoffs by one game last year, and of course at 2-2, the season isn't over and there is still time to respond with a strong push toward the playoffs starting next week in a Week 6 game at Baltimore.

Reaction score
I hate how available to the media Jerry is and how everyone quotes him.

Everything he says is worthless. Like, really, wgas what his thougths and opinions are?

Rev

Practice Squad
Reaction score

Everything he says is worthless. Like, really, wgas what his thougths and opinions are?

Because thats all they are going to get.

Rev

Practice Squad
Reaction score
and that will be a glorious day. Too bad his money will keep him alive for years......

Reaction score
Agreed. I think he lives to be 87. To think he'll be around for the next 17 years depresses the shit out of me.

Although, a few more years like the past few and I really don't think I'll be following the team that closely for that much longer.

junk

UDFA
Reaction score

I wouldn't say it is worthless. He's driving what that team does, no matter what the goofballs on the Zone want to think. So, reading his quotes is telling. He wants a coach who runs one side of the ball and doesn't want a "walk around" head coach as he calls them (never mind that the most successful coaches in his time at Dallas have fallen into that category). So, since the boss says so, I doubt Garrett delegates any sort of playcalling responsibility.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I don't want Callahan calling plays honestly.

His whole background is in a different offense, expecting him to just grab the playbook and call plays seems crazy.

Now, if they let him b e the actual coordinator and install his offense then call plays, that makes more sense.

But that won't happen because Garrett for some reason is untouchable here when it comes to the offense.

Reaction score
Agreed. I think he lives to be 87. To think he'll be around for the next 17 years depresses the shit out of me.

Although, a few more years like the past few and I really don't think I'll be following the team that closely for that much longer.

Ralph Wilson is 93 and doing fine. I could see Jerry lasting another 25 years easily.

That means some people on this board will be pushing age 60 before Stephen gets his shot.

Top Bottom