iceberg

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 1m
Raiders reached agreement with former Cowboys CB Mike Jenkins.

-----

he was a solid player for us. it just didn't work out in the end. best of luck to him.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
1st round picks that leave after first contract expires= Wasted pick.

mdawg65

Cheerleader
Reaction score
Good luck to him.

Too bad it didn't work out for us. Could have saved us one cornerback position to filled.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
Great ball skills when he's right, health wise.

Hope he gets his shit together in Oakland.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
1st round picks that leave after first contract expires= Wasted pick.

Not really, but ok

Its disappointing, but he was a late first round pick who was a pretty solid starter for most of his time here. He also was a probowler (well deserved for that season)

And for a guy who many questioned desire or attitude, I think he should get some props for getting through that miserable 2011 season injury wise without ever complaining or blaming his injury for any issues on the field.

So no, he wasn't a wasted pick.

Reaction score
Any first round pick who doesn't make a second contract is a wasted pick. Damn homers. Jenkins, and Jones in the same draft. Two wasted first round picks. Way to go Jerrah!

Cowboysrule122

Draft Pick
Reaction score
CB Jenkins Officially Ends 5-Year Run In Dallas; Joins Raiders

Nick Eatman DallasCowboys.com Staff Writer

When Mike Jenkins decided not to spend the majority of the offseason with the Cowboys to rehab his shoulder last summer, the writing was on the wall that 2012 would likely be his last season with the team.

No surprise ending here.

The Cowboys let him go into free agency and although it took nearly a month to find a home, Jenkins is heading out West after agreeing to a one-year deal with the Oakland Raiders Monday night.

Jenkins, one of two first-round picks (along with Felix Jones) by the Cowboys in 2008, went from a three-year starter from 2009-11 to a backup last year. The Cowboys signed Brandon Carr in free agency and then moved up in the first round to pick Morris Claiborne, creating an instant 1-2 punch at the cornerback position.

It left Jenkins on the outside looking in and while he never publicly complained about his situation, his absence from the Cowboys’ facility other than mandatory events such as minicamps and team functions suggested he wasn’t happy with his role, especially heading into a contract year.

Still bothered by the shoulder injury, which required rotator cuff surgery, Jenkins missed all of training camp and the first game of the season before returning to action in Week 2 against Seattle. However, Jenkins never had a major role last year, playing mostly in nickel and dime packages.

He made the Pro Bowl in 2009 as an alternate but never got back to that form. Jenkins did show some toughness in 2011 when he played through multiple nagging injuries, including a knee, neck and shoulder setbacks.

In Oakland, Jenkins is the second free-agent corner to sign in free agency along with Tracy Porter.

The Cowboys and Raiders will square off twice in 2013, including a preseason contest in Oakland in mid-August, followed by a regular-season game at Cowboys Stadium.

Reaction score
Yeah, I agree that if you don't give a first rounder a 2nd contract, it's a wasted pick.

I mean... if he had worked out, or the team liked the player, then we don't trade up for Claiborn last year.

Reaction score
Not really, but ok

Its disappointing, but he was a late first round pick who was a pretty solid starter for most of his time here. He also was a probowler (well deserved for that season)

And for a guy who many questioned desire or attitude, I think he should get some props for getting through that miserable 2011 season injury wise without ever complaining or blaming his injury for any issues on the field.

So no, he wasn't a wasted pick.

Is there really much of a difference between "disappointing" and "wasted?"

Reaction score
Not to turn this into a Mike Jenkins bash session, because he wasn't a bust...

But did he ever have any game changing moments for us?

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Any first round pick who doesn't make a second contract is a wasted pick. Damn homers. Jenkins, and Jones in the same draft. Two wasted first round picks. Way to go Jerrah!

Did Jenkins help the team while he was here or not?

Bobby Carpenter is an example of a "wasted" pick. Mike Jenkins was a solid starter for most of his time here.

Reaction score
Because I know that when we're picking in the first round, I'm hoping for someone who will be "solid" for "most of his time here."

:towel

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score

Didn't he intercept the ball once in Philly to seal the game?

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
It is a wasted pick and when you throw in Felix, it was a wasted draft. The bad part is that Oakland gave him a one year deal so it wouldn't have taken much to keep him here had we wanted him. There were character questions coming out of college but we made the pick anyway and now it's biting us in the ass. In reality, we threw away two 1st round picks and a future second in the 2008 draft because the personnel folks on this team have no idea how to build a team. Is there another team that has so many wasted draft classes as a whole, not just picks?

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score

He did, but he was absolutely terrible in 2010. Terrible. He almost by himself got wade fired, wade called repeated blitzes leaving him singled up and he never made a play.

If u figure in that he did basically nothing for us in 08 and not much in 12 he cones off as a lousy pick.

He was excellent in 2009 and allowed wade to go after guys blitzing, that's how we went on the run.

But to me the biggest problem with him and that 08 draft was that they were shitty lazy guys.

We had a great locker room with a ton of camraderie and that was as big a lift as talent, the guys were close and fought for each other.

Jenkins, jones, Bennett, choice came in as rock stars and helped destroy the locker room. Those guys coupled with Owens and a mouthy crayton and pouting Roy Williams basically wrecked what was built from 05 and up. Wade Phillips had absolutely no rules and basically laughed in the structure that had allowed this team to improve when he was hired.

I recently saw wade going back and forth with so e cowboys fans on twitter, he took a shot at Garrett and then said I bet cowboys fans miss this record....he posted his record as head coach. I seriously would punch the guy in the face if I was there with him, he still does not realize that he wrecked the structure, had terrible drafts and won games with parcells guys.

It's maddening.

And it started with that 08 draft.

Top Bottom