Texas Ace

Practice Squad
Reaction score
if you put Wilson and Luck there you gotta put RG3 no?

Some will argue Cutler and Schaub ahead of Romo. Maybe even Kaepernick.

I think his list is solid.

There's no question that Brady, Brees, Rodgers, and Manning are above him. Anyone arguing that he's in their class is just a blind homer.

I know Romo lovers think he's better than Eli and Ben, but he is not. They make mistakes too and are prone to ugly games, but both of those guys are far superior to Romo in crunch time and have a lot of big game performances that Romo cannot match. Oh, and there's that 2 Super Bowl wins a piece thing.

Flacco is also not the regular season QB that Romo is, but like the 2 guys I just mentioned, he's been very good in the 2 min drill and he just had one of the greatest postseasons in NFL history. Couple that with a SB win, and he definitely gets the nod over Romo.

Luck? He's basing that on potential, but I know who I would take right now between the two if I had the choice.....and that is regardless of age.

Wilson is the question mark. The guy was clutch and very composed for a rookie. He's not the passer Romo is, but who would you rather have? This one is a tough call.

Ryan is a guy who is a lot like Romo in his own right. Not much playoff success, but he doesn't have this long history of choke jobs in big games and big moments, so for that reason I'd give Ryan the nod.

Schaub is a guy who shrinks in crunch time too and he has a noodle arm. He's also a softie, and Romo's toughness can't be questioned. Cutler has been more bad/average than good in his career, and I would take Romo over him being as Romo's best is significantly better than Cutler's best, IMO.

I think 10/11 is a fair spot for Romo.

cmd34(work)

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Oh, I think Romo is top 10. The average football fan blames him for all of the Cowboy woes so I'm surprised he made it top 15 on ESPN's list.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I think his list is solid.

There's no question that Brady, Brees, Rodgers, and Manning are above him. Anyone arguing that he's in their class is just a blind homer.

I know Romo lovers think he's better than Eli and Ben, but he is not. They make mistakes too and are prone to ugly games, but both of those guys are far superior to Romo in crunch time and have a lot of big game performances that Romo cannot match. Oh, and there's that 2 Super Bowl wins a piece thing.

Flacco is also not the regular season QB that Romo is, but like the 2 guys I just mentioned, he's been very good in the 2 min drill and he just had one of the greatest postseasons in NFL history. Couple that with a SB win, and he definitely gets the nod over Romo.

Luck? He's basing that on potential, but I know who I would take right now between the two if I had the choice.....and that is regardless of age.

Wilson is the question mark. The guy was clutch and very composed for a rookie. He's not the passer Romo is, but who would you rather have? This one is a tough call.

Ryan is a guy who is a lot like Romo in his own right. Not much playoff success, but he doesn't have this long history of choke jobs in big games and big moments, so for that reason I'd give Ryan the nod.

Schaub is a guy who shrinks in crunch time too and he has a noodle arm. He's also a softie, and Romo's toughness can't be questioned. Cutler has been more bad/average than good in his career, and I would take Romo over him being as Romo's best is significantly better than Cutler's best, IMO.

I think 10/11 is a fair spot for Romo.

I read what you are saying, but every one of those QBs have superior coaching than that of Romo. The Ravens dodged a bullet by being unsuccessful in acquiring Garrett. You put Garrett as HC and playcaler for those QBs, and see where they rank and how they do. Those QBs would not make Garrett a better coach; but a better coach would make Romo and even more better QB.

And you talk about crunch time... if Romo had better coaching, and an OL, there would be no need for "crunch time"; aside from him sitting back in the 4th quarter with his team up by 30 and him crunching on chips.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
[video=youtube;btzftDVnDa4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=btzftDVnDa4#at=12[/video]

junk

UDFA
Reaction score
My problem is his lows are too low.

He's been a train wreck in too many big games. He's had some great performances in big games as well, but you want more consistency from your QB in those key match ups.

Instead of killing your team with 3+ turnovers, dial it back a bit and play conservatively. Every play doesn't have to yield 20+ yards. I think that's what sometimes gets Romo into trouble. Better coaching can correct some of that. When Garrett sees that Romo is spazzing out......adjust the game plan accordingly. Garrett hasn't shown the ability to do that and it's one of my biggest gripes about his coaching style.

I agree about Garrett. Get a run game and don't put the whole offense on Romo's shoulders.

Unfortunately, Jerry is promoting that approach, so I don't expect much to change.

Iamtdg

Reaction score
I agree about Garrett. Get a run game and don't put the whole offense on Romo's shoulders.

Unfortunately, Jerry is promoting that approach, so I don't expect much to change.

43 TE's will solve that little problem, pal. Problem is, only one can block.

mdawg65

Cheerleader
Reaction score
Romo is significantly better than 15. Like many other QBs he has terrible results with poor line play.

Here's my biggest beef with him. The consistent need for him to win on every play. At his stage of development he has to know when the play is over and just throw the ball or tuck and go to the ground.

I am a firm believer in looking at the root cause of the mistakes. Never give up QBs with a porous line are never a good combination. You will get those ESPN highlight plays that Romo has given us every so often and also those boneheaded plays.

I believe in Parcells' rules and you can't build a winning team around ESPN highlights. Winning teams just do their jobs and they do it consistently over and over again.

When the pass rusher is one step away from hitting you that's not the time to put the ball in the air. I don't know of any football coach who would approve or coach any QB to do what Romo did in his last interception of the season.

Romo may be perpetually stuck in this media storm until he learns to stop trying to win the game by himself. Romo reminds me a lot of where John Elway was with his inability to reach the promise land.

When Terrell Davis arrived along with Sharp, McCaffrey and company Elway was prepared to let his team share the load. On the continuum of play maker on one side and bus driver on the other Tony has to find a closer settling spot near the middle.

Quite frankly Romo is not the problem. When the fans bitch about Romo what they fail to recognize is the lousy state of the o-line. Whining about Tony won't make the protection improve and its far better for the Cowboys to get a jitterbug QB who will run the college option than beating that dead horse.

The Cowboys can win games, and Romo has to let the team do so. Also Garrett needs to pull out his bullhorn and give his QB an earful every so often to remind him of Parcells' rules.

boozeman

Draft Pick
Reaction score
I read what you are saying, but every one of those QBs have superior coaching than that of Romo. The Ravens dodged a bullet by being unsuccessful in acquiring Garrett. You put Garrett as HC and playcaler for those QBs, and see where they rank and how they do. Those QBs would not make Garrett a better coach; but a better coach would make Romo and even more better QB.

And you talk about crunch time... if Romo had better coaching, and an OL, there would be no need for "crunch time"; aside from him sitting back in the 4th quarter with his team up by 30 and him crunching on chips.
The things Romo does now are the same things he did with better coaching.

Reaction score
The things Romo does now are the same things he did with better coaching.

He was developed from UDFA/3rd stringer, into a top 10 starting QB by good coaching. He actually went 13-3 as a direct result of that good coaching, and he hasn't developed a single bit since 2007 because he's been coached by the bright orange version of Jim Zorn since then.

Top Bottom