dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Jaws ranks Tony Romo as No. 15 QB

July, 8, 2013
By Tim MacMahon | ESPNDallas.com

Tony Romo insists that he isn’t an 8-8 quarterback. But one prominent quarterback expert considers Romo to be just an average starter at this point of his career.

Romo came in at No. 15 in ESPN analyst Ron Jaworksi’s quarterback rankings, falling five spots since last summer. A handful of quarterbacks with only one season of starting experience – Andrew Luck, Robert Griffin III, Russell Wilson and Colin Kaepernick – are among those whose names have yet to be called as Jaws works his way from No. 32 to No. 1.

Why does Jaworski sees Romo as a middle-of-the-pack starter?

“I have always liked Romo, but his play in the final regular season game of the 2012 season with the NFC East title on the line still bothers me,” Jaworski said. “You just can’t make mistakes, regardless of whose fault it is.

“It was the fourth-quarter interception with three-and-one-half minutes remaining and the Cowboys trailing by three. That I just can’t forget. You can’t make a throw with no definition in that particular situation, regardless of the pressure.

“Then I look at Romo one week earlier. Two big-time drives in the final five minutes against the Saints, tying the game with 21 seconds remaining.

“Back-to-back weeks, two different Romos. Those kinds of peaks and valleys is why Romo is No. 15 on my board. I love his talent, and there’s no doubt perception has overtaken reality in the negative world view of Romo, but I would like to see more overall consistency in his play. He’s capable of it.”

Reaction score
Ironic coming from a dude who actually blew as a QB. Should probably pump the brakes on ranking anyone.

Reaction score
“I have always liked Romo, but his play in the final regular season game of the 2012 season with the NFC East title on the line still bothers me,” Jaworski said. “You just can’t make mistakes, regardless of whose fault it is.

“It was the fourth-quarter interception with three-and-one-half minutes remaining and the Cowboys trailing by three. That I just can’t forget. You can’t make a throw with no definition in that particular situation, regardless of the pressure.

“Then I look at Romo one week earlier. Two big-time drives in the final five minutes against the Saints, tying the game with 21 seconds remaining.

“Back-to-back weeks, two different Romos. Those kinds of peaks and valleys is why Romo is No. 15 on my board.

Truth.

Goes from playing as good as anyone in the league one week, then making brainfreeze mistakes the next.

Still think he's better than 15th though. Whatever.

Reaction score
My problem is his lows are too low.

He's been a train wreck in too many big games. He's had some great performances in big games as well, but you want more consistency from your QB in those key match ups.

Instead of killing your team with 3+ turnovers, dial it back a bit and play conservatively. Every play doesn't have to yield 20+ yards. I think that's what sometimes gets Romo into trouble. Better coaching can correct some of that. When Garrett sees that Romo is spazzing out......adjust the game plan accordingly. Garrett hasn't shown the ability to do that and it's one of my biggest gripes about his coaching style.

Last edited:

Texas Ace

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Romo is fine anywhere between 10-15.

Until he stops making so many mistakes, especially in big games, nobody is going to view him as a great QB and rightfully so.

Reaction score
There is no other QB in the league whose mistakes are more magnified than Romo. That's what you get when you're the QB of America's Team. All the negative media coverage makes this ranking no surprise.

But he's better than 15th. Notables who have yet to be named: Russell Wilson, RG3, Luck, Kaepernick, Matt Ryan, Cutler.

Texas Ace

Practice Squad
Reaction score
There is no other QB in the league whose mistakes are more magnified than Romo. That's what you get when you're the QB of America's Team. All the negative media coverage makes this ranking no surprise.

I would agree that he catches even more heat because he plays for Dallas, but that doesn't change the fact that his mistakes are still mistakes, and very often those mistakes happen at the worst times.

Until he cuts down on those, he'll never get the respect that many Cowboys fans think he deserves.

Reaction score
Ironic coming from a dude who actually blew as a QB. Should probably pump the brakes on ranking anyone.

That's a good point.

I think this is a silly statement by Jaworski: “You just can’t make mistakes, regardless of whose fault it is."

A couple of years ago my car was rear-ended at a stop light by a clueless young woman who was texting on her cellphone. I was involved in an accident, but it wasn't my mistake.

Reaction score
If the spotlight was magnfied on Garrett even half as much as it is on Romo, I think people would figure out the real issue. Everyone wants to be lazy and just blame one position. That def works in towns like Jville and Phoenix where there is no doubt that the QB absolutely blows. It's a lot more complicated in Dallas though.

Coaching and a decent oline (or coaching that could help make the oline better) would go a long way here. Romo is far more of a positive than a negative for this club.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
If the spotlight was magnfied on Garrett even half as much as it is on Romo, I think people would figure out the real issue. Everyone wants to be lazy and just blame one position. That def works in towns like Jville and Phoenix where there is no doubt that the QB absolutely blows. It's a lot more complicated in Dallas though.

Coaching and a decent oline (or coaching that could help make the oline better) would go a long way here. Romo is far more of a positive than a negative for this club.
Without a doubt.

And to those who talk about Romo being an up-and-down player... Yes, to some extent he is. But so was Brett Favre, and who doesn't call him a great QB?

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score

That would make sense if this was a fan or player survey, but this is Jaworski--a fellow pro who breaks down film and knows a good QB when he sees one.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
By putting Romo at 15th, you maintain controversy, which leads to more clicks, and conversation. In all of football, particularly at QB, ther eis no more of a polarizing figure than Romo. The people (non Cowboys' fans), that hate him do so because he's a Cowboys---it starts and ends there with nothing in between.

Sorry, but Romo is better than 15th.

Reaction score

I agree. Most of the Romo blaming, particularly in the national media, is the result of lazy and/or overly simplistic assessment.

It is possible to be well informed and to also blame Romo, as some posters are/do on this site.

But more often, people who blame Romo usually have only a superficial knowledge of the team.

cmd34(work)

Draft Pick
Reaction score
He makes it easy to blame him and I'm a huge Romo guy. Too many meltdowns in crucial games.

Only one way to end all of that talk though.

Reaction score
1. Rodgers
2. Brady
3. Peyton
4. Brees
5. Eli
6. Flacco
7. Roethlisberger
8. Luck
9. Russell Wilson
10. Matt Ryan
11. Romo

cmd34(work)

Draft Pick
Reaction score
if you put Wilson and Luck there you gotta put RG3 no?

Some will argue Cutler and Schaub ahead of Romo. Maybe even Kaepernick.

Reaction score
No bc rg3 can't throw more than 10 yards.
I want to see more on kaepernick Alex smith looked good on that team.
Cutler is close, I'm a fan. But his decision making is lacking. Romos mistakes are moreso bc every play is so hectic that he's got to cut the red wire or the blue one and times ticking

Top Bottom