boozeman

Draft Pick
Reaction score
No, they couldn't.

But Aeneas Williams and Bobby Taylor actually would get the best of Irvin every now and again. But Green was his bitch all the time.

My point is that Green was an overrated player who never dominated a game from the corner position. He has no business in the HOF.

Irvin had a problem with big physical cornerbacks. That wasn't Green's forte. That doesn't mean the guy wasn't damn good.

If you use that logic, Taylor should be in the HOF because he literally owned Mike's ass.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Watch out for David Yankey, Andrus Peat, and Kyle Murphy.

I think I'd rather watch Mr Shaw arrange an office at VR

That said, after we go 19-0 this yr and win every game by 3 tds or more, Garrett will sign a lifetime contract. We'll go 19-0 again next yr and win every game by 4 tds, then Jones will fire Garrett and hire Tony Sparano as HC

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Irvin had a problem with big physical cornerbacks. That wasn't Green's forte. That doesn't mean the guy wasn't damn good.

If you use that logic, Taylor should be in the HOF because he literally owned Mike's ass.

I never saw Irvin having any problem with any CB in his prime. A lot was made of this Bobby Taylor stuff, but Taylor always had a lot of help, and Irvin's play began to slip after the 96 season. From 91-96 he was unguardable for the most part.

He ate just about everybody alive. Rod Woodson was not only big and physical, but also fast. And Irvin tore him apart. Same with Deion. Sanders could not play Irvin.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I would not hate that at all.

Said it before..Shaw is what Garret was supposed to be.

Big fan of the guy. If Garrett doesn't get this team going in the right direction this yr (and barring just mass injury everywhere, right direction means playoff berth and at least 1 or 2 postseason wins) sign me up for Shaw as HC in 2014.

Texas Ace

Practice Squad
Reaction score

Ok, let me be more clear:

Green does not belong in the HOF and not just because Irvin killed him every time they played, but because he was never ever a shut down corner. He never once dominated a game.

He never once single-handedly shut down one of elite receivers in the league in a big game.

He was not a guy who you were scared of throwing at like some of the other elite corners in the game.

Iamtdg

Reaction score
Ok, let me be more clear:

Green does not belong in the HOF and not just because Irvin killed him every time they played, but because he was never ever a shut down corner. He never once dominated a game.

He never once single-handedly shut down one of elite receivers in the league in a big game.

He was not a guy who you were scared of throwing at like some of the other elite corners in the game.

I will agree with this statement.

Texas Ace

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I will agree with this statement.

I can think of corners from both the 80's and 90's who were much better than him that aren't in the HOF.

Deron Cherry, Lester Hayes, Everson Walls, Albert Lewis, Aeneas Williams, etc.

While they weren't from the same era, I'd take a Charles Woodson or Shawn Springs at their very best over a Green at his best.

He just simply didn't take over games or shut anyone down. Period.

Hell, I honestly don't think he was any better of a pure cover guy than Eric Allen was. A good player, but that's it.

Reaction score
Darrell Green is best known for running down Tony and playing 20 years.

Winning a few SB's helped... but yeah, I agree that when I think of the all timers at the position, he doens't really come to mind.

Texas Ace

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Darrell Green is best known for running down Tony and playing 20 years.

Winning a few SB's helped... but yeah, I agree that when I think of the all timers at the position, he doens't really come to mind.

You're absolutely right about the 20 years thing.

Longevity is to be respected, especially when you're a football player. But if you spent most of that time being a very good>good>average player, is it really that impressive?

As much as I hate Favre, that fricker played a long ass time and was still pretty damn good in his final years. That Vikings season he had was outstanding.

Green never played at an elite level and he certainly wasn't playing at even a pro bowl level for the majority of those last 8-10 years he spent in the league.

Top Bottom