C

Cr122

09:48 PM CDT on Friday, August 13, 2010

Starting defensive end Marcus Spears accompanied the Cowboys on the trip to California and will continue rehabilitation work on a sprained ligament in the left knee. Spears said his goal is to be in the lineup for the Sept. 12 opener at Washington.

When Spears was injured during the San Antonio phase of camp, the Cowboys said they expected him to be out four to six weeks. For Spears to play against Washington, the best-case scenario would have to come true.

"I'm doing everything to make it," Spears said.

Spears raised the possibility of playing in the final exhibition, against Miami on Sept. 2, but almost immediately shot down the idea. If form holds, the Cowboys will not let any front-line players near the field for that meaningless game.

This marks the third time Spears' six-year career that he incurred a leg injury during training camp. In the previous two instances, he returned for opening day.

"It's disappointing not to play," Spears said. "But I don't get down in the dumps about much, unless it's something with my family. Every year somebody goes through this."

Gerry Fraley

Top Bottom