dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Per post in CZ.

Doesn't sound like it was for a lot of money so I doubt he takes it.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Here's the story up on NFL.com. Hey great job local Dallas reporters, you got scooped again.

Cowboys offered DeMarco Murray four-year deal

By Marc Sessler
Around the NFL Writer
Published: Oct. 5, 2014 at 10:26 a.m.

DeMarco Murray's autumn romp has the Dallas Cowboys interested in keeping the soon-to-be free agent around deep into the future.

NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport told NFL GameDay Morning that the 'Boys have offered Murray a four-year contract that would pay him more than any free-agent running back earned in 2014, per team sources.

He's never played in more than eight straight games, but Dallas believes Murray's talent outweighs his shaky injury history. The Cowboys want to make "absolutely sure they have him for years to come," Rapoport said.

On pace for 2,136 rushing yards -- which would snap Eric Dickerson's 30-year-old NFL record -- Murray leads the league in carries (99), rushing yards (534) and rushing touchdowns (5) heading into Sunday's action.

His 5.4 yards per attempt have come behind one of the game's top young offensive lines, but it's not just the blocking: Murray has been a headache to bring down, bouncing through defenders for the NFL's second-highest elusiveness rating, a Pro Football Focus metric that measures a runner's success beyond the point of being helped by his blockers.

Behind this formidable wall, Dallas wisely has based its offense around Murray and the ground game, running the ball on 50.8 percent of its plays this season -- up 15 percent from last year. Tony Romo's 118 pass attempts are the fewest of his career after four games.

A horde of young runners will test free agency come March. Murray, barring a shocker, won't be one of them.

boozeman

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Surely Murray will just take whatever crap deal is being offered. He has to see what is being built here.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I wonder how Dez feels about that.

Murray contract nowhere near the $$$ Dez contract will be.

Besides it isn't like the Cowboys tried to do a Murray contract at the expense of Dez (or after ignoring Dez), they worked all offseason and training camp trying to get a new deal done and Dez wanted negotiations tabled until after the season.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Leading the league in fumbles, not sure I really want to sign him long term.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
I wouldn't even franchise him. You can find a guy that can do the same things, much cheaper.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I wouldn't even franchise him. You can find a guy that can do the same things, much cheaper.

The fumbles are bad, but if he were doing what he's doing here with some other team, everyone would be talking about what a great job their front office did to get that kind of player with a 3rd rd pick.

I wouldn't break the bank to keep him, but he's pretty damn good. When you do something that only two other guys in the history of the league have done (and none of the great backs we have had here have done it) that's pretty eye opening.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
The stats are impressive, but with this line, I highly doubt Murray is one of the few backs around that can give you these numbers.

You can't pay him like he is. Not even close.

jeebus

UDFA
Reaction score
I franchise him. An elite runner in his prime years is worth big money. The problem is their prime years can be as little as a prime year. Me I overpay with the franchise tag to keep the guy running like the best back in the league for top 5 money and have no future risk.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
^^^ This.

RBs are a dime a dozen. Ride this one like the rented mule he is then move on.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
The stats are impressive, but with this line, I highly doubt Murray is one of the few backs around that can give you these numbers.

You can't pay him like he is. Not even close.

This.

Just look at today's game. Murray was outrushed by Arian Foster and still the Texans lost.

Top Bottom