Reaction score
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9d1eMG6rUU

Volkswagen has broken a run of legendary Super Bowl television ads in recent years, after this year's offering featuring a white man speaking in a Jamaican patois accent drew accusations of racism from offended US commentators.

Volkswagen has broken a run of legendary Super Bowl television ads in recent years, after this year's offering featuring a white man speaking in a Jamaican patois accent drew accusations of racism from offended US commentators.

As in previous years, German car manufacturer Volkswagen will take advantage of the massive Super Bowl audience - the event drew 111.3 million viewers last year - to screen a special ad in the hope of jump-starting sales in the United States.

However, this year VW seems to have misjudged its US audience, and has broken a run of huge hits. In 2011 a VW ad went viral featuring a little boy dressed in a Darth Vader costume who fails to bring things to life with "The Force" until his father secretly remotely starts a Passat.

But Volkswagen's ad this year, in which a white man from Minnesota cheers up his office co-workers by telling them to take it easy and be happy in a Jamaican accent, has been slammed as racist, culturally insensitive and offensive.

"No worries mon," the man tells his glum-faced colleagues in a lift, "everyting will be alright." He then lifts office morale by taking co-workers for a ride in his VW, with the implication that owning a German-engineered car makes you as happy as a Jamaican. "Get in. Get happy," the ad concludes.

Since VW released the ad on Monday US media pundits have slammed the ad and described it as insensitive, offensive and shocking. "I found it offensive. It's racist." Barbara Lippert well-known journalist at Mediapost.com told NBC's Today Show.

Still, not everyone has been so uptight about the ad - Jamaica's Tourism Ministry has told people to chill out, and on Tuesday spoke out in support of the commercial.

"I urge persons all across the globe to do exactly what the commercial portrays, which is to tap into your inner Jamaican and get happy," Jamaican Tourism Minister Wykeham McNeill said in widely-reported statement to the media.

Unfuckingreal the hypersensitivity that is sweeping this country.

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
"I urge persons all across the globe to do exactly what the commercial portrays, which is to tap into your inner Jamaican and get happy," Jamaican Tourism Minister Wykeham McNeill said in widely-reported statement to the media.

I wonder if that stupid bitch read that. I guess she'll have to find something else to get offended about whenver she does.

63echo

Reaction score
What kind of life do you have if you have to look for and manufacture reasons to get offended? Fuck you and your sympathy play, Barbara Lippert (which is as non-Jamaican a name as I've ever heard). There are (if you believe Mid) 1201 reasons America is swirling the toilet bowl right now, but this embarrassing political correctness horseshit leads the charge.

superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
There are (if you believe Mid) 1201 reasons America is swirling the toilet bowl right now, but this embarrassing political correctness horseshit leads the charge.

I don't like it as much as anyone but I'm pretty sure when it comes to reasons America is struggling "political correctness" doesn't even register on the radar.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
GIS her... No wonder she's ass hurt.

Why do the PC Police always have to win? They only have power because people let them have power. At some point, people will have to tell them there's nothing wrong with this, they don't speak for the majority of Americans, so GYF.

Reaction score
It's funny how these PC clowns always end up exposing themselves as idiots.

They did this same shit recently with zero dark thirty by misunderstanding a complicated topic that wasn't spoonfed to the audience like most movies have to do these days.

In the end, this will work out better for Volkswagon bc we're talking about it. They just saved $3 million and generated more buzz.

Reaction score
Just ask that Niners cornerback.

"You better be cool with homos in the locker room you hate-filled bigot!!"

Terrible comparison.

I feel bad that the CB now will have to hang out with some LGBT leaders and pretend that he's enjoying it, but he really dug his own grave there.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
I don't like it as much as anyone but I'm pretty sure when it comes to reasons America is struggling "political correctness" doesn't even register on the radar.

Oh no? What about the new bill the government is attempting to get passed through that will eventually make illegal everlastings, legal citizens?

SixisBetter

Anywhere on the line.
Reaction score
Obviously that ad would have been much less racist if a stoned deadlock wearing black man had been the star.*

*Sixisbetter waives his normal stereotype charge in the interest of brotherhood.You're welcome.

63echo

Reaction score

Hyperbole, dawg.

It's not an insignificant issue, though.

Top Bottom