Updated: September 4, 2010, 1:46 AM ET
Hollywood to host Oak Tree for 2 years

* Email
* Print
* Comments3

By Steve Andersen
Daily Racing Form
Archive

The Oak Tree Racing Association will run its annual fall meeting at Hollywood Park in both 2010 and in 2011, the racing association and racetrack announced late Friday.

The announcement, subject to the approval of the California Horse Racing Board, means that the Inglewood, Calif., track will host a majority of the Thoroughbred racing dates in Southern California this year and in 2011.

Hollywood Park already hosts two race meetings of its own -- a spring-summer meeting from late April to mid-July and a fall meeting in November and December. The 2010 Oak Tree meeting will run from Sept. 30 to Oct. 31. The dates for the 2011 meeting will be discussed at a racing board meeting in Pomona, Calif., on Sept. 22, but are expected to be from late September to early November.

Under that scenario, Santa Anita would host one four-month meeting in 2010-11, from Dec. 26 until late April.

Oak Tree ran its fall meeting at Santa Anita from 1969 until 2009. Oak Tree had a contract to run its 2010 meeting there, but the contract was voided by Santa Anita parent company MI Developments, which is chaired by Frank Stronach. MI Developments took over ownership of Santa Anita after another Stronach-controlled entity, Magna Entertainment, declared bankruptcy in 2009.

In June, Stronach reversed course and agreed to allow Oak Tree to run at Santa Anita this fall, but the license was rejected by the racing board in August after officials with the Thoroughbred Owners of California and California Thoroughbred Trainers said they considered the Santa Anita synthetic track surface unsafe. Stronach announced last month that Santa Anita will install a dirt surface this fall.

Friday's announcement occurred two days after Oak Tree and Del Mar officials met to discuss a possible relocation of the Oak Tree meeting to that San Diego County track in 2011. The meeting ended with Del Mar chief executive Joe Harper saying that the two sides wanted to incorporate the horsemen and racing board in the conversations before finalizing plans.

A move to Del Mar in the future is still being discussed, according to Oak Tree executive vice-president Sherwood Chillingworth.

"Long-term I think we'll go there," Chillingworth said late Friday afternoon. "The other thing is we're trying to get all the horsemen together -- the CTT and TOC -- so that everyone is happy with the move."

Chillingworth and Hollywood Park executives have been scrambling in the last two weeks to prepare for the Oak Tree at Hollywood Park meeting, including arranging for stall space and developing a racing schedule and promotions. Chillingworth said a 2011 Oak Tree at Hollywood Park meeting will be easier to run, with a longer lead time for such logistics.

"It isn't easy to move a race meet from one venue to another with 35 days to do so," Chillingworth said. "Next year, we'll have a year's experience with their staff to get things totally working. We've had a good relationship getting things done."

Chillingworth said a formal agreement between Hollywood Park and Oak Tree on business terms for the forthcoming 2010 meeting was signed on Friday morning and that Oak Tree has received the support of the Thoroughbred Owners of California and California Thoroughbred Trainers for the meeting.

The racing board is expected to review the license application for the 2010 Oak Tree at Hollywood Park meeting by the end of next week in a conference call, Chillingworth said.

C

Cr122

Updated: September 14, 2010, 6:27 PM ET
Super Saver to rest bone bruise

* Email
* Print
* Comments

By Marty McGee
Daily Racing Form
Archive

Super Saver will have 60 days of stall rest before being re-evaluated for bone bruising that was diagnosed last week by nuclear scintigraphy, Elliott Walden, racing manager for the colt's owner, WinStar Farm, said Monday.

WinStar put out a news release Sunday announcing that tests conducted Wednesday by noted equine veterinarian Dr. Larry Bramlage had revealed that Super Saver, the 2010 Kentucky Derby winner, had "marked activity in all four cannon bones," Bramlage said. "The left front fetlock has the most radiographic change, with a major bruise on the cannon bone. Once these are resolved, the horse should return to his previous form."

The bone bruising serves to largely explain why Super Saver had fared so poorly since his 2 1/4-length triumph in the May 1 Derby. Super Saver ran eighth in the Preakness, fourth in the Haskell, and 10th in the Travers.

Walden said trainer Todd Pletcher had not sent Super Saver to the racetrack to train since the Aug. 28 Travers. The colt has been sent to WinStar in Versailles, Ky., and after the prescribed time of rest is up, which will be early to mid-November, "we'll see where we stand with him and whether or not we'll be sending him to Palm Meadows to train this winter," Walden said from the Keeneland yearling sale in Lexington.

Walden said the diagnosis by Bramlage has been something of a relief to the colt's connections.

"After the Travers, we knew we had to have him thoroughly examined, because ever since the Derby, obviously he just hadn't performed to expectations," he said. "He'd proven he's a lot better than he'd been running. Sure enough, Dr. Bramlage said the pictures lit up on the bottom of all four cannon bones. It's pretty typical of bone bruising that he would've been running like he was."

Pletcher said in the WinStar release: "This explains a lot to me. I couldn't understand those last few efforts where Super Saver didn't extend and lay it out there like he had in every other race he ran through the Kentucky Derby victory. He has always been very gutsy and determined in his races, even when he set fast fractions, so this answers a lot of head-scratching."

WinStar, owned by Bill Casner and Kenny Troutt, won two-thirds of the Triple Crown this year, with their Drosselmeyer capturing the Belmont Stakes. Drosselmeyer, trained by Bill Mott, also is through racing this year after having been diagnosed with an ankle problem in July.

C

Cr122

Updated: September 14, 2010, 5:36 PM ET
Informed Decision wins Masters

* Email
* Print
* Comments1

By John McDulin
Daily Racing Form
Archive

After stumbling soon after the start, Informed Decision needed every inch of the Presque Isle Downs stretch to get up and win the Grade 3 $400,000 Presque Isle Masters on Saturday evening.

Informed Decision trailed the 11-horse field until the stretch, and on the turn it appeared she might finish out of the money.

Jockey Julien Leparoux asked the 5-year-old mare for her best in the stretch and she responded, closing willingly while racing in the middle of the track to get up in the final stride and win by a head.

Dr. Zic set quick fractions of 22.00 and 44.60 before fading in the stretch and finishing sixth.

Dubai Majesty made a late surge and led in the final strides only to be overtaken at the wire by Informed Decision. Sweet Lorena was a neck back in third. Informed Decision returned $3.20 and ran the 6 1/2 furlongs in 115.62.

After the race, trainer Jonathan Sheppard expressed his surprise at her early placing.

"I was very worried early, I didn't expect her to be so far back."

Informed Decision appeared to come out of the gate well, but it in her second and third strides stumbled while in tight between horses and dropped back quickly.

Sheppard was relieved after the race.

"After I talked to Julien and found out what happened, I felt better," he said. "She really showed a lot of heart tonight to overcome what she had to."

Informed Decision's future plans have not yet been determined, according to Sheppard.

"I am just not sure," he said. "We wanted to wait until after this race and make a plan, maybe the Breeder's Cup but perhaps a race between."

Prior to the Masters, Sheppard hinted that he might want to try Informed Decision on the turf, and one can presume that remains a possibility before he decides which Breeders' Cup event to enter.

C

Cr122

Updated: September 16, 2010, 3:56 PM ET
'Q.T.' to face 12 in Woodbine Mile
EmailPrintComments
By Bill Tallon
Daily Racing Form
Archive

ETOBICOKE, Ontario -- The Usual Q.T., one of three California shippers, drew post 11 at a ceremonial draw for Sunday's Woodbine Mile in the trackside tent here Thursday afternoon.
The Grade 1, $1 million Woodbine Mile, a turf race for 3-year-olds and upward, attracted a field of 13, and The Usual Q.T. has been made the 3-1 morning-line favorite by Woodbine oddsmaker Ernie Perri.
The Woodbine Mile is a Breeders' Cup Win and You're In race, with the winner earning a free berth in the Breeders' Cup Mile at Churchill Downs.
Victor Espinoza, who has been The Usual Q.T.'s regular rider since last fall, has the call for the Woodbine Mile.
Trainer Jim Cassidy, who was on hand for the draw, had mixed feelings about The Usual Q.T.'s post.
"I would have liked to have been a little further inside at a mile," said Cassidy. "There are a few speed horses around him -- he may lay third."
The Usual Q.T. is one of four Grade 1 winners in the Woodbine Mile field, along with traveling companions Victor's Cry and Crowded House and New York invader Court Vision.
Based recently at Saratoga for trainer Richard Dutrow Jr., Court Vision has been pegged as the 7-2 second choice and will begin from post 4.
Victor's Cry, conditioned by Eoin Harty, is the third choice at 4-1 and will break from post 2 under Corey Nakatani.
Famous Name, a winner of 9 of 18 starts while campaigning in Ireland and France for trainer Dermot Weld, and is listed at 6-1. Pat Smullen has the mount on Famous Name, who will start from post 12.
Crowded House, trained by Ben Cecil and with rider Joel Rosario slated to make his Canadian debut, is 12-1 in the morning line and drew post 1.
Grand Adventure, conditioned by Mark Frostad and considered to be the best of four local hopefuls, is an 8-1 chance and will start from post 13 under regular rider Patrick Husbands.
"I'd rather be outside than inside," said Frostad, who was at the Keeneland sales on Thursday. "It's fine. He's got enough tactical speed to be where he wants to be."
Northern Dancer
Sunday's card also will feature the Grade 1, $750,000 Northern Dancer, a 1 1/2-mile turf race for 3-year-olds and upward, and the Grade 2, $300,000 Canadian, a 1 1/8-mile turf race for fillies and mares.
Marsh Side, the defending champion in the Northern Dancer, is 5-2 on the morning line for the nine-horse field, which includes shippers Expansion from New York, Memorial Maniac from Illinois, and Redwood from England.
The Canadian attracted just six entrants, with Miss Keller the 3-2 favorite and Points of Grace next in line at 9-5.

C

Cr122

Real Quiet dies after falling in paddock

Updated: September 28, 2010, 3:11 PM ET

EmailPrintComments
Associated Press
Real Quiet, the slightly built colt who in 1998 won the Kentucky Derby and Preakness and missed the Triple Crown by a nose, has died at 15.

The former champion 3-year-old died Monday following a fall in his paddock, Penn Ridge Farms owner Mike Jester said. The horse broke his neck when his left shoulder hit the ground.

"It's a pretty big blow for us," Jester said.

[+] Enlarge
Matt Camobell/AFP/Getty Images
Nearing the finish in the 1998 Belmont Stakes, Real Quiet (right) was beaten by Victory Gallop by a nostril and denied the Triple Crown.
Jester brought Real Quiet to his Pennsylvania farm in 2005 and said the horse was in great health until his death.

Trained by Hall of Famer Bob Baffert, owned by Mike Pegram and ridden by Kent Desormeaux, Real Quiet narrowly missed the Triple Crown a dozen years ago. He beat Victory Gallop in both the Derby and the Preakness before Victory Gallop edged him at the wire in the Belmont.

"He gave us a lot of thrills and excitement," Baffert told The Associated Press by phone from California. "Just winning the Kentucky Derby for Mike Pegram was pretty amazing."

Baffert spent just $17,000 when he purchased Real Quiet for Pegram at the Keeneland September Yearling sale. When Baffert told Pegram about the buy, Pegram looked at the horse's pedigree and wondered how Baffert was able to swing such a bargain.

Baffert pointed to the horse's narrow front profile. As athletic as Real Quiet looked pacing around the sales ring, there wasn't much to look at when he faced forward. Baffert ended up nicknaming his new horse "the Fish."

"It's a good thing he was already named because that's what we probably would have named him," Baffert said with a laugh. "But he was a beautiful horse, just a beautiful specimen."

And a pretty decent runner, too, though it took Real Quiet awhile to find his bearings. He struggled at shorter distances and ended up needing eight races to break his maiden, finally doing so at Hollywood Park. He went on to win the Hollywood Futurity as a 2-year-old though he remained an afterthought in Baffert's barn.

Baffert figured stablemate Indian Charlie, not Real Quiet, was his best chance to win the Derby. Indian Charlie captured the Santa Anita Derby and went off as the favorite in the Run for the Roses. Baffert, however, wasn't so sure the smart money was in the right place.

"The last work before the Derby was an incredible work," Baffert said. "I knew right then he had a chance to win the Derby."

Real Quiet proved his boss right, surging past Indian Charlie at the top of the stretch then holding off a late bid from Victory Gallop while Indian Charlie faded to third.

Real Quiet was even better in the Preakness, roaring to the front at the turn to pull away from Victory Gallop by 2½ lengths to stoke hope for the sport's first Triple Crown in 20 years.

Baffert, who had just missed a Triple Crown in 1997 with Silver Charm, thought for sure his "tough little horse" had the stuff of which legends were made.

"Going into the Belmont, I felt really confident," Baffert said.

His confidence grew as Real Quiet took command in the stretch, opening a sizable gap. Yet Baffert could see his horse start to relax, almost a little too much, as Victory Gallop closed in.

By the time they hit the wire, it was too close to call. The photo showed Victory Gallop by a nostril. It's an image that sticks with Baffert more than a decade later.

"He just got out there by himself and if he had to do it all over again, he needed to wait on Victory Gallop," Baffert said.

Baffert wouldn't trade the outcome, however.

"I think winning the Kentucky Derby was more important," said Baffert, who teamed with Pegram to win this year's Preakness with Lookin At Lucky. "The Triple Crown is a great honor. I won [the Preakness and Belmont] with Point Given, and it wasn't the same. I'd rather win the first and give the other two up."

Real Quiet won the Hollywood Gold Cup and Pimlico Special at age 4 before being retired to stud. He spent time at Taylor Made Farm in Nicholasville, Ky., before being moved to Pennsylvania.

Jester created Penn Ridge Farm to give the champion a place to roam and provide the foundation for Jester's stud business. Real Quiet was moderately successful as a stallion, producing two-time Breeders' Cup Sprint winner Midnight Lute.

None of his progeny, however, has been able to duplicate his success.

"I've been looking for another one like him," Baffert said. "They're hard to find."

Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
The fair is in town, that means live horse racing. It runs through this Sunday, I made it out last weekend and plan to go tomorrow. I lost my ass last weekend, it was bad. My wife comes into the grandstand from the fair and asks if she can make a bet. I say sure, take my voucher, make my bet, then make yours. She cashes in on a horse that pays $50 and change to win.

She only had $2.00 across(WPS) on it, but still.

C

Cr122

The fair is in town, that means live horse racing. It runs through this Sunday, I made it out last weekend and plan to go tomorrow. I lost my ass last weekend, it was bad. My wife comes into the grandstand from the fair and asks if she can make a bet. I say sure, take my voucher, make my bet, then make yours. She cashes in on a horse that pays $50 and change to win.

She only had $2.00 across(WPS) on it, but still.

Horse race betting is tough, you just never know.

Saratoga is huge for horse betting around here.

C

Cr122

Updated: October 19, 2010, 10:39 AM ET
NFL star Terrell Owens visits Zenyatta
EmailPrintComments
By Steve Andersen
Daily Racing Form
Archive

TOZenyatta_576_101810.jpg

INGLEWOOD, Calif. -- Terrell Owens has a photo of Zenyatta on his cell phone. He's got a bunch more of the undefeated star mare on his digital camera, too.
The NFL star wide receiver had a free Sunday this past weekend as his Cincinnati Bengals had the week off, and Owens spent 30 minutes on an overcast afternoon on the Hollywood Park backstretch at trainer John Shirreffs' barn. The focus of the trip was an opportunity to meet Zenyatta, the two-time champion and winner of 19 races.
Owens, 36, was given a personal tour of the stable by Shirreffs. When led to Zenyatta's stall, Owens snapped several pictures of the 6-year-old mare in her stall before Shirreffs handed Owens a carrot and invited him to feed it to her.
"How do I do that?" Owens said. He placed the carrot in his palm, and it was gone as quickly as it was presented to Zenyatta. A moment later, Owens, a formidable presence himself dressed casually in a white T-shirt and Bermuda shorts, saw Zenyatta's size as she was led out of her stall toward a patch of grass outside the barn.
"Oh my God, she's huge," Owens said as she was led away.
Once outdoors, Owens posed for more pictures alongside the mare. Listed at 6-foot-3, Owens is one athlete who can stand adjacent to Zenyatta's withers and not look up.
"You can tell she has a lot of power," he said. "She's as big as a male horse. She's unbelievable, very muscular."
It was the first time Owens had seen Zenyatta, who is being prepared for the Breeders' Cup Classic at Churchill Downs on Nov. 6. He said he wasn't sure he would be able to attend the race because of commitments with the Bengals, who play Pittsburgh on Nov. 8. During his week off, Owens spent part of the weekend in Los Angeles on business.
Owens, a six-time Pro Bowler who is second on the all-time list in receiving yards, said he follows racing, having attended the Kentucky Derby in the past and taken a tour of Three Chimneys Farm in Kentucky.
"It was interesting to see how much goes into caring for the horses," he said. "It's first-class."
A few minutes later, Zenyatta was taken back to her stall. Owens had one final request before heading to the grandstand to watch a few races. He wanted an autograph from Shirreffs.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
What a beast that Mare is. To make up that much ground and for Mike Smith to have to Manuver through that traffic and come up a half head short.

Color me impressed.

I thought she'd lose, but not like that. Wow.

sbk92

Reaction score
She ran the best race. She was the best horse. Would have given her back to back Classics and a perfect 20 for 20 on her career.

Easily the best female runner I've ever seen.

C

Cr122

Updated: March 19, 2011, 9:54 PM ET
The Factor leads throughout in Rebel

By Marty McGee
Daily Racing Form

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/horse/triplecrown2011/news/story?id=6237891

HOT SPRINGS, Ark. -- The Factor dominated from the start Saturday when winning by daylight in the 51st running of the Grade 2, $300,000 Rebel Stakes at Oaklawn Park in Hot Springs, Ark.
With Martin Garcia riding for trainer Bob Baffert, The Factor returned $4.80 as the favorite after finishing 1 1/16 miles in 1:42.19 over a fast track.
The Factor, a gray Kentucky-bred colt by War Chant, set fractions of 23.33, 46.77, and 1:10.98 when holding an open lead throughout. The final margin was about six lengths, with Caleb's Posse, a 24-1 shot, finishing second, about a neck before Archarcharch.in a field of nine 3-year-olds. Sway Away, the solid second choice, was never a factor.
Three of the 13 original entries were early scratches -- Dreaminofthewin, Elite Alex, and Glint -- while one more, Alternation, acted up badly after being loaded in the starting gate, leading him to being scratched at 10-1. The start was delayed for about 10 minutes because of that incident.
The Factor, owned by Fog City Stable and George Bolton, has won 3 of 4 starts and was coming off a front-running score in the San Vicente at his home track Santa Anita. The Rebel marked his two-turn debut.
The $2 exacta (6-7) paid $112.60 and the $1 trifecta (6-7-1) returned $255.70.
Baffert also won the Rebel last year with Lookin At Lucky.

C

Cr122

Updated: March 19, 2011, 8:49 PM ET
Hilda's Passion easy Inside Info. winner
By Staff
Brisnet.com

InsideInfo_576_031911.jpg

HALLANDALE BEACH, Fla. -- Starlight Partners and C.E. Glasscock's Hilda's Passion carried her speed to a facile victory in Saturday's Grade 2, $150,000 Inside Information Stakes at Gulfstream Park and established a new track record in the process, turning seven furlongs in 1:20.45. After breaking on top, the Todd Pletcher-trained filly led by nearly two lengths through opening splits of :22 and :44 1/5, and she widened her advantage in the stretch, passing the six-furlong mark in 1:07 4/5 en route to a 5 1/4-length decision beneath Javier Castellano.
Hilda's Passion bettered the 1:20.88 mark set by champion sprinter Big Drama in 2009.
"I know she has a lot of speed. What I really liked about today was how she went to the lead but she was so relaxed," said Castellano, who opened a two-win margin over Velazquez in the jockeys' standing with his third winner of the afternoon. "She was really comfortable and when I asked her, it was amazing. She just took off. I knew she was going to run fast, I didn't know she was going to break the track record."
The four-year-old filly has now four of her last five starts, all stakes races, and narrowly dropped her lone setback, a neck second in the Sugar Swirl S. (Grade 3) following a troubled trip in her 2011 opener. Winner of the off-the-turf Bennington S. at Saratoga and the Raven Run S. (Grade 2) on Keeneland's Polytrack in her final two outings last year, Hilda's Passion entered the Inside Information off a 2 1/2-length thrashing in the February 13 Hurricane Bertie S. (Grade 3). The talented female sprinter has now earned $430,256 from a 10-6-1-0 scorecard.
Heavily favored at 3-5 among six rivals, Hilda's Passion paid $3.20, $2.20 and $2.10. Amen Hallelujah tried vainly to challenge the pacesetter approaching the stretch drive, but she never offered a serious threat while maintaining a firm grasp of second. It was another 2 1/2 lengths back to Stephanie Got Even in third, and Ms Vanenzza, Milwaukee Appeal and Beautician rounded out the order of finish. Choragus was withdrawn.
"She travels so smoothly that you don't realize how fast she's going, but when I saw the 44 (half-mile), and Amen Hallelujah inch up to her, I thought she might have a real race on her hands until she drew away in the stretch," Pletcher said.
Bred by Mr. and Mrs. Theodore Kuster in Kentucky, Hilda's Passion RNA'd for $4,200 as a Keeneland November weanling. She is out of the winning El Prado (IRE) mare Executricker, whose latest foals are an unraced sophomore colt named Mannak, a full brother to Hilda's Passion, and a juvenile colt named Edge of the World. Further back, this is the family of English highweight Twice Over (GB), who became a two-time winner of the Champion Stakes last time out on October 16; Group 1 queen Passage of Time (GB); champion Banshee Breeze; and Hall of Famer and noted sire Damascus.
Pletcher said Hilda's Passion will be pointed to the May 7 Humana Distaff (Grade 1) at Churchill Downs on the Kentucky Derby undercard.
"It's also at seven-eighths," Pletcher said. "She's trained well over that track in the past."

C

Cr122

Updated: April 3, 2011, 7:20 PM ET
Dialed In makes Kentucky Derby case

By David Grening
Daily Racing Form

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/horse/triplecrown2011/news/story?id=6287253

HALLANDALE BEACH, Fla. -- Trainer Nick Zito and owner Robert LaPenta made it back-to-back victories in the Florida Derby when Dialed In, under Julien Leparoux, rallied from last to nip 60-1 pacesetter Shackleford by a short head. It was 6 3/4 lengths back To Honor and Serve in third.

He was followed in the order of finish by Flashpoint, Soldat, Arch Traveler, Stay Thirsty, and Bowman's Causeway.
Zito and LaPenta won the Florida Derby last year with Ice Box, who finished second in the Kentucky Derby
Dialed In, a son of Mineshaft, is now 3 for 4 and will likely head to Louisville with one of the top four choices for the May 7 Kentucky Derby.

Shackleford, who finished fifth in the Fountain of Youth, looked like he was going to steal the race under Jesus Castanon despite setting rapid early fractions of 23.30 seconds, 46.35, and 1:10.63 for six furlongs.
To Honor and Serve pressed Shackleford from the inside, then was guided to the outside by Garrett Gomez. To Honor and Serve couldn't keep up with Shackleford and dropped back in the stretch.

Meanwhile, Leparoux had Dialed In saving ground at the back of the pack before launching a wide bid around the turn.
It took until 20 yards from the wire for Dialed In to collar Shackleford.
Dialed In covered the 1 1/8 miles in 1:50.07 and returned $7.80.
With his victory in the Florida Derby, Dialed In becomes eligible for the Preakness 5.5 bonus, which awards $5 million to his owner and $500,00 to his trainer if he can win the Preakness in mid-May.

C

Cr122

Updated: April 7, 2011, 5:30 PM ET
'Pegasus' out of Santa Anita Derby

By Steve Andersen
Daily Racing Form

Premier Pegasus, the winner of the Grade 2 San Felipe Stakes last month, will miss Saturday's $1 million Santa Anita Derby because of a hairline fracture in the cannon bone of his left foreleg, according to Maria Ayala, the assistant to owner-trainer Myung Kwon Cho.
Premier Pegasus was the 8-5 morning-line favorite for the Santa Anita Derby.

Ayala said the diagnosis was made late Thursday morning after Premier Pegasus had galloped on Santa Anita's infield training track.
Ayala said she noticed that Premier Pegasus "had a little stumble" during the gallop, which raised concern. She said that after the colt cooled out and had a morning bath that she alerted Cho of a potential problem.
X-rays taken later on Thursday morning revealed the injury.

"The doctor said he had a hairline fracture of the cannon bone," Ayala said. "Not good. The horse is okay. He ate good. Mr. Cho, said, 'Maria, relax. It's not your fault.'"
Premier Pegasus has won 4 of 5 starts and $293,400. Last summer and fall, Premier Pegasus won his first three starts, including the Jack Goodman Stakes and Hollywood Prevue Stakes for sprinters at Hollywood Park.

Earlier this year, he was third in the Grade 2 San Vicente Stakes over seven furlongs before scoring a commanding win in the San Felipe Stakes over 1 1/16 miles by 7 3/4 lengths on March 12 that left him the morning-line favorite for Saturday's race.
Without Premier Pegasus, the role of favorite may go to Jaycito, who was second in the San Felipe, or Silver Medallion, the winner of the Grade 3 El Camino Real Derby at Golden Gate Fields on Feb. 12.

C

Cr122

Updated: April 16, 2011, 8:18 PM ET
Archarcharch upsets

By Steve Andersen
Daily Racing Form

HOT SPRINGS, Ark. -- Archarcharch rallied from off the pace and held off a late threat from Nehro to win Saturday's $1 million Arkansas Derby at Oaklawn Park.
Ridden by Jon Court, Archarcharch ($52.40) finished a head in front of Nehro in the field of 13, finishing 1 1/8 miles in 1:49.34. The Factor, the 4-5 favorite, was as close as third on the backstretch and turn but faded in the final furlong.
The stewards conducted an inquiry into the stretch run, focusing on a bumping incident between third- and fourth-place finishers Dance City and Sway Away, but did not change the order of finish.
Archarcharch has won 3 of 5 starts and $832,744, including the Sugar Bowl Stakes at Fair Grounds last December and the Grade 3 Southwest Stakes at Oaklawn Park on Feb. 21. Owned by Robert and Loval Yagos and trained by Jinks Fires, Archarcharch was third behind The Factor in the Grade 2 Rebel Stakes on March 19.
Nehro ran in his second stakes in the Arkansas Derby. Trained by Steve Asmussen, Nehro was a fast-closing second at 36-1 in the Louisiana Derby at Fair Grounds on March 26.
Trainer Bob Baffert said immediately following the race that it appeared The Factor displaced his palate.
- additional reporting by Mary Rampellini

C

Cr122

Updated: April 16, 2011, 7:58 PM ET
Brilliant Speed a nose best in Blue Grass

By Byron King
Daily Racing Form
http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/horse/triplecrown2011/news/story?id=6370680

LEXINGTON, Ky. -- Brilliant Speed, rallying down the center of the track under Joel Rosario, got up in the final stride to edge Twinspired by a nose in Saturday's Grade 1, $750,000 Toyota Blue Grass Stakes at Keeneland.
The finish was so tight that it took several minutes for placing judges to determine the order of finish. The winning margin appeared to be an inch or two.
"That was close," Rosario said with relief in the winner's circle after the race.
Twinspired ran extremely well in defeat, just failing to last. He was followed across the wire by fellow longshots King Congie and Newsdad.
Favored Santiva, in traffic for much of the race, never threatened and was unplaced.
The winner, a 3-year-old son of Dynaformer owned and bred by Charlotte Weber's Live Oak Stud, raced 1 1/8 miles in 1:50.92 on Keeneland's synthetic surface. He paid $40.20.
Brilliant Speed, second in the Dania Beach and Hallandale Beach Stakes this winter at Gulfstream this winter for trainer Tom Albertrani, had raced on turf in five straight races since last fall.

TOYOTA BLUE GRASS STAKES | PURSE: $750,000 | Grade 2 | 3-YEAR-OLDS | 1 1/8 MILES
No. Horse Win Place Show
5 Brilliant Speed $40.20 $20.80 $13.00
7 Twinspired $21.20 $11.80
2 King Congie $8.80

Top Bottom