C

Cr122

Dallas Cowboys cornerbacks among best in NFL

Posted Tuesday, Aug. 17, 2010

By Clarence E. Hill Jr.

chill@star-telegram.com

OXNARD, Calif. -- With cornerbacks Terence Newman and Mike Jenkins both making the Pro Bowl last year, several questions need to be asked.

Is this the best duo in Dallas Cowboys history? Where do they rank among the league's top cornerback sets?

Out of deference to the Super Bowl rings held by the great Cowboys duos of Deion Sanders and Kevin Smith/Larry Brown of the 1990s and Mel Renfro and Herb Adderley of the 1970s, we'll table the former and concentrate on the latter.

Looking for a reason why the Cowboys' passing game has struggled in practice during training camp? Then feast your eyes on a secondary led by Newman, Jenkins and a nickel corner in Orlando Scandrick.

In this era of the NFL, it's not enough to look at just two cornerbacks. You need a threesome to combat the pass-happy offenses.

Here's a look the top five NFL duos (trios) heading into the 2010 season:

1. Cincinnati Bengals: Jonathan Joseph, Leon Hall (Adam Jones) Joseph and Hall don't draw the attention that some others do. But they are widely considered the league's best duo. Both have lock-down coverage ability and are very good in run support. They were back-to-back first-round picks in 2006 and 2007, and now it's paying off. The Bengals' defense went from 26th against the pass in 2007 to sixth in 2009. Pacman Jones might not be what he used to be, but he is a feisty No. 3.

2. New York Jets: Darrelle Revis, Antonio Cromartie (Kyle Wilson) Revis is the best in the league. He is the closest thing to Deion Sanders since Deion Sanders. The difference is that he is more physical and he will tackle. Of course, none of this will matter if he continues to hold out and doesn't play this year. He is supported by former Pro Bowler Cromartie and rookie first-round pick Wilson.

3. Dallas Cowboys: Terence Newman, Mike Jenkins (Orlando Scandrick) That both Newman and Jenkins made the Pro Bowl last year says it all. Never mind that both made the team as alternates first. Jenkins is a physical lock-down corner. The scary thing is he is getting better and has a chance to be very special. Newman is as solid as they come. And he seems to be making more plays as he gets older. Scandrick is a crafty and a fearless No. 3.

4. New Orleans Saints: Jabari Greer, Tracy Porter (Patrick Robinson or Randall Gay) Greer and Porter don't have the star power or name recognition of some of the other groups. But like the Bengals' duo, they make plays and are highly productive. Of course, you remember Porter's game-breaking Super Bowl interception. In three playoff games last year, quarterbacks Kurt Warner, Brett Favre and Peyton Manning were held to a combined two touchdowns and a 78.5 passer efficiency rating.

5. Oakland Raiders: Nnamdi Asomugha, Chris Johnson If Asomugha played on a better team he would be getting as much or more attention as Revis. He is that good. Revis' contract holdout is primarily because of the insane money the Raiders gave Asomugha, because he is that good. He was thrown at just 28 times last year. Revis was thrown at 111 times. Enough said. Johnson is solid on the other side.

Clarence E. Hill Jr.

817-390-7760

Read more: http://www.star-telegram.com/2010/08...#ixzz0wxdMGIQT

Reaction score
Newman is solid, but unspectacular.

Jenkins seems legit, but I need to see it for more than one year.

Scandrick didn't follow up his rookie campaign with that great of a second year.

Behind that, we've got a lot of questions (although most teams do).

I'd say it's a touch ridiculous to ask if this is the best the team has ever had at the position.

SixisBetter

Anywhere on the line.
Reaction score
Newman is solid, but unspectacular.

Jenkins seems legit, but I need to see it for more than one year.

Scandrick didn't follow up his rookie campaign with that great of a second year.

Behind that, we've got a lot of questions (although most teams do).

I'd say it's a touch ridiculous to ask if this is the best the team has ever had at the position.

Yes,all the way down.

After I saw him in college,Newman has only made the plays I thought he might a couple of times.

Jenkins I really like,nice skill set and a short memory.But like you,I want to see more.I think he will deliver.

I thought Scandrick,for whatever reason,played a little gun shy last year.

Like you say,everybody's wondering what they've got behind the first 2 or 3.

As for greatest duo ever?Sanders/Smith get my vote,with Adderly/Renfro 2nd,Walls/Thurman third.I know Thurman wasn't the greatest cover guy,but many a wide out arms got a lot shorter with him out there.That man could hit.

C

Cr122

As for greatest duo ever?Sanders/Smith get my vote,with Adderly/Renfro 2nd,Walls/Thurman third.I know Thurman wasn't the greatest cover guy,but many a wide out arms got a lot shorter with him out there.That man could hit.

Some good corners right there. I miss the Walls and Thurman days.

Kevin Smith was great up until he tore his achillies tendon in his heel. Smith and Sanders were awesome.

sbk92

Reaction score
Scandrick had a good 2nd half of last season.

He can easily move up to a starting spot once Newman is gone. He's of that caliber.

I'd trade all these corners for Deion Sanders.

C

Cr122

Scandrick had a good 2nd half of last season.

He can easily move up to a starting spot once Newman is gone. He's of that caliber.

I'd trade all these corners for Deion Sanders.

I think Scandrick and Jenkins would make a good duo.

Top Bottom