Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Has Jason Garrett's Time Run Out for the Dallas Cowboys?

garrett-cowboys.jpg

Yahoo Contributor Network
By Patrick Conn 1 hour ago

Another heartbreaking loss for the Dallas Cowboys. They seemed to have this game under control with 1:07 left in the game. No timeouts for Detroit and a six point lead should be enough, right? There is something going on with this team and signs point to a mental issue for them. With their history, it is easy to say they are playing mediocre football. Since their last winning record of 11-5 to finish the 2009 season, Dallas has a combined record of 26-29.

Mediocre Offense

While everyone was worried about the sideline antics of Dez Bryant, there were other reasons this team lost. With the loss, Dallas is now sitting atop the NFC East with a 4-4 record. They look poised for their annual 8-8 record that they have finished with for the last two seasons. Since Jason Garrett took over as head coach the only time he has finished with a winning record was 2010 going 5-3 after Wade Phillips was fired.

Garrett has been a member of this staff since 2007 and the numbers aren't much considering Wade Phillips had a 33-15 record in his three full seasons with this team. In 2010, this team completely quit on him going 1-7 and costing Phillips his job as head coach. Take away this season's record, Dallas has averaged a 9-7 record since the post Bill Parcells' era. Their offensive rankings, under the control of Jason Garrett, are 12th in points scored and seventh in yards during that same span. Dallas can move up and down the field but struggle scoring touchdowns.

A huge portion of the offense underperforming is the play calling. Up until the start of this season, Garrett was in charge that aspect until Jerry Jones relieved him of that duty. Now that Bill Callahan has taken over, he utilizes some of the same principles as Garrett. The Cowboys abandon the run too early at times and that makes this team very one dimensional. Even with Bryant, Witten, Terrance Williams and the other receivers on this team, it is virtually impossible to get open when defenses drop six or seven into coverage.

Time Management

Most will remember Jason Garrett for his time management issues. This past game against Detroit was no different. While Dallas only had seven seconds left in the game when they took the field after Matthew Stafford's one yard TD run, Garrett still had two timeouts in his pocket. Instead of a quick play or two to set up a potential Hail Mary pass, Dallas botched a hook and ladder play that ran out the clock.

This wasn't his first opportunity to use or not use his timeouts correctly. The first time I can recall a similar situation was against the Arizona Cardinals in 2011. After a Bryant catch at the Cardinals' 32 yard line with 25 seconds to go, they would end up spiking the ball with seven seconds to go instead of using a timeout. That wouldn't have been an issue except that Dallas called a timeout as Dan Bailey was attempting the game-winning field goal. He made the first attempt but missed the second and Dallas would eventually lose the game in overtime 19-13.

The Arizona instance wasn't the only time that season as a similar time management situation would happen the following week against the New York Giants. This time instead of stopping the clock and getting an easier field goal attempt for Bailey, they chose to let the clock run down again and his attempt from 47 yards out was blocked. Dallas again would lose this game as well with a score of 7-6.

The one that sticks out the most was last season against the eventual Super Bowl champion Baltimore Ravens. Dallas completed a one yard pass attempt and let time run off the clock. Why run a one yard route and why not spike the ball to attempt another play? They also had another timeout in their pocket but chose to attempt a 51 yard field goal. Bailey would miss wide left and Dallas again loses another close game 31-29. On another note, prior to that one yard pass time was run off the clock because Miles Austin and Kevin Ogletree ran vertical routes and didn't hustle back to the huddle.

Not all blame can be placed on the coaching staff because coaches coach and players play. However, when these types of situations keep happening someone needs to be held accountable. With an underperforming offense, clock management issues and questionable play calling how much more can Cowboys' ownership take with Garrett at the helm? It may be time for a change of the guard with another mediocre finish on the horizon.

diehard2294

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Ah Yes! It's past due,only Jerry would hire the genius without any previous HC experience

Cowboysrule122

Draft Pick
Reaction score
He won't fire Garrett unless we tank and the players quit on him. We're stuck with the red headed Princeton grad.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Wishful thinking.

If we lose the division on the final night of the season as we have done over and over again, Garrett isn't going anywhere.

I just cant see it this time (of course I was convinced he was gone at the end of last yr too)

This would be the 4th consecutive non playoff season, Jones really wouldn't have any choice but to can him I think.

boozeman

Draft Pick
Reaction score
I just cant see it this time (of course I was convinced he was gone at the end of last yr too)

This would be the 4th consecutive non playoff season, Jones really wouldn't have any choice but to can him I think.

No choice?

Why?

His team is still the most valuable in the league.

Goobers keep buying tickets to the game for a mediocre product.

What incentive does he have to fire Garrett?

Like he gives a shit about being mediocre?

He doesn't.

Relevance is all that matters. And if the season closes and the Cowboys are relevant, he will not give a shit.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
No choice?

Why?

His team is still the most valuable in the league.

Goobers keep buying tickets to the game for a mediocre product.

What incentive does he have to fire Garrett?

Like he gives a shit about being mediocre?

He doesn't.

Relevance is all that matters. And if the season closes and the Cowboys are relevant, he will not give a shit.

I hope not. That said, I think we'll probably win this awful division and the excuse for Jones to keep Garrett will be "see, we won the division despite all the defensive injuries this year, its progress"

Top Bottom