Reaction score
http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys

By Dan Graziano

I'm so glad Matt Bowen writes for us now. I've been a fan of his work elsewhere for a long time. Former NFL player who can write and who understands (a) what fans want to read about (b) the way in which his former-player perspective can help illuminate it for them and (c) how to deliver it. Not that we didn't already have people here at ESPN who fit that description, mind you. It's just that I always thought Matt was something of a lesser-known gem, and I'm glad he's on the team.

Matt's latest Insider piece takes up the vexing topic of how to stop Dallas Cowboys edge rusher DeMarcus Ware. As Matt points out, the 111 sacks Ware has piled up in his first eight NFL seasons indicate that this is not an answer anyone actually has. But Matt's analysis offers ways in which Ware can be dealt with, including six-man and seven-man protections, run-game traps and empty backfield sets that historically have prompted Monte Kiffin defenses to audible to a Cover 2 shell that offers a quarterback opportunities to unload the ball before Ware gets to him.

Most interesting, though -- in light of Robert Griffin III and whatever Chip Kelly's cooking up in Philadelphia -- is Matt's section on Ware vs. the read-option:

Ware (and the Cowboys' defense) struggled against RG III and the Redskins last season in the Week 17 loss because of the read-option. Playing as an outside linebacker in the 3-4, Ware was hesitant on the edge, didn't attack the dive and opened up clear running lanes for Alfred Morris.

As Ware transitions to the 4-3, he will still be the primary read for option quarterbacks (read: edge man on the line of scrimmage) as they ride the running back through the mesh point. And, although I believe NFL defenses will be much more prepared to play (and produce) versus the various option schemes out of the gun and pistol alignments this season, running it is still another way to slow down Ware's first step.​

This gets to the heart of why the read-option is so effective. Ware is a tremendous player -- a peerless pass-rusher who's also strong against the run. And yet he still struggles against the read-option because of the very nature of it. Attack the quarterback and he hands it off. Sit back, and RG III is sprinting past you before you can make your move. It's entirely possible defensive coaches will find some way to slow down the read-option offenses this year, but it's no sure thing that even the best defensive players won't get caught flat-footed against it. At bottom, it still forces the edge rusher to make a choice, and offers the opposing quarterback the chance to wait to see which choice he makes. They don't come any better than Ware, but even he has a tough task ahead of him in trying to figure out how to succeed against this new wrinkle.

Genghis Khan

Cheerleader
Reaction score
Maybe I am confused, but if the defense is the one making the choice on the play (and by extension dictating what the offense does), doesn't that give the defense a potential advantage?

In other words, can't they just tell Ware to attack the QB every time, and have the rest follow the RB? It seems to me that it's the defense's indecision that causes them problems. But since the defense can dictate the offense's reaction, that means the defense should be able to plan ahead and eliminate much of the indecision.

Maybe I am missing something.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Good grief. They are using one game in which Ware was probably playing at 50-60% health as a barometer of how he may or may not fare against these types of plays?

Reaction score
You need quicker DEs in the 4-3 to be effective against it...that is what we have. That is why Seattle went away from Bryant in the playoff game and played Irvin extensively.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I think team's defensive people are going to be spending a ton of time on this all offseason.

Once some of these teams see their QB's get jacked up a few times, it'll be used less and less.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
If the offense runs it right and the QB makes the right, the DE will almost never make the play on that. Big deal. Doesn't mean others on the defense can't stop it.

Reaction score
You need quicker DEs in the 4-3 to be effective against it...that is what we have. That is why Seattle went away from Bryant in the playoff game and played Irvin extensively.

They pummeled San Francisco with Bryant just weeks earlier.

The 4-3 by its nature is best suited to stopping the read-option. The DE attacks his gap whether it's a run or a pass, removing all hesitation. However he penetrates, either by quickness or power, his job is to disrupt the running lanes of the QB/RB tandem on a run. If the play is a pass, he's already on his way to the QB while the OLB is closing to back him up and the CB and safeties behind him.

In a 3-4 he's the only option to stop the play until the DBs close, so he's basically stuck deciding what to do and can't commit to rushing the passer without risking being out of position on a handoff. The 3-4 must attack, and it can't attack the read-option without over-committing.

Green Bay's 3-4 got their asses handed to them in San Francisco. Dallas' 3-4 got beat twice by Washington. San Fran's 3-4 got obliterated by Seattle. When Seattle got its read-option full speed they plain whipped the Cardinals 3-4 defense 58-0.

Meanwhile the Ravens 4-3 beat San Fran, the Falcons 4-3 beat Seattle, and Seattle's 4-3 beat both Washington and San Fran. All four 49ers losses and a tie came against 4-3 defenses.

mdawg65

Cheerleader
Reaction score
The 43 DE beats RO by getting to the mesh point as fast as he can.

If he can get there while QB is just beginning to ride the mesh all the better.

One way or another the DE will expose the play for the other defensive players.

A healthy Ware should disrupt a lot of run plays.

lons

UDFA
Reaction score
Guess Kiffin's lucky he didn't run the 34 last year against Oregon, then.

Hasn't USC been under sanctions which really puts a bind on how many scholarship players you can have if any? I'd not use it against him so much if that was the case while he was there.

Top Bottom