MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Heh... Gosselin said again just now that "when you trade for the player you trade for the contract" and reiterated the 24 million hit for the new team. Norm very gently corrected him that the Cowboys would take the signing bonus hit and the new team would only pay 14. Gosselin of course got a little irritated -- you don't correct THE Rick Gosselin -- and blew it off as well, whatever, 14 mil is still a ton for someone of his age and the Cowboys would only get a conditional pick.

That's if Romo does not agree to rework his contract right? If he reworks his contract the team trading for him would pay less correct?

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
That's if Romo does not agree to rework his contract right? If he reworks his contract the team trading for him would pay less correct?

I doubt it, unless Romo chose to in order to help the team. $14M is under market and so is $19.5M in 2018 (if he's healthy & playing well). If the team reworks his contract they'll likely have to pay some upfront bonus money that they currently avoid by simply assuming Romos existing contract.

Its not a bad contract to assume

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
I doubt it, unless Romo chose to in order to help the team. $14M is under market and so is $19.5M in 2018 (if he's healthy & playing well). If the team reworks his contract they'll likely have to pay some upfront bonus money that they currently avoid by simply assuming Romos existing contract.

Its not a bad contract to assume

I'm thinking for a team like Houston. If Denver really is out of the conversation and the only way Houston would make a trade work is if Romo agrees to lower his contract below the $14 mil. Romo MAY do it to go to a contender.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm thinking for a team like Houston. If Denver really is out of the conversation and the only way Houston would make a trade work is if Romo agrees to lower his contract below the $14 mil. Romo MAY do it to go to a contender.

Arizona could end up involved too. They are reportedly waiting on retirement decisions for Palmer and Fitzgerald.

I think the Jets will definitely be interested too.

Top Bottom