Reaction score
Gosselin: Dallas Cowboys can win a Super Bowl with Tony Romo if...
SPORTSDAYDFW.COM
Published: 05 January 2014 06:27 PM
Updated: 05 January 2014 06:27 PM

Columnist Rick Gosselin held a chat on Monday. Here are highlights from the chat.

Question: If this was a fortune 500 company, Jerry Jones would have been fired by now. The fans need to rise up and stop buying tickets to the last 2 games and all next year. This will have an impact on a man that really is stupid. The fan nation of the Cowboys deserve better. Romo will never EVER be perceived as OUR great quarterback. Enough is enough.
Gosselin: That would be a bingo on the first part. As far as the second part, I could see the Cowboys winning a Super Bowl with Romo if they ever became a run-first team. That's how John Elway won his Super Bowls. Terrell Davis arrived and Elway started collecting championship jewelry. At his age, Elway was OK with the direction the Broncos wanted to head. But do I ever seen the Cowboys becoming a run-first team? No.

Question: We all know how the fans feel about Jerry Jones the GM, but what do the players think? Is he respected as a talent evaluator in the locker room?
Gosselin: The players by and large love him. Why shouldn't they? He overpays most of them. He also took good financial care of the players who won Super Bowls for him. There's a strong loyalty from that segment of players as well.

Question: Is there anything that the fans can do to influence the future of the cowboys? Complaining is not working.
Gosselin: The only thing that gets Jerry's attention is money. As long as the Cowboys are averaging 87,000 fans per game -- as they are this season -- he views that as a stamp of approval. The Cowboys have had three games in excess of 90,000, including Sunday. He figures the fans must like what he's selling...

Question: Yes, i am being sarcastic, but I think that by now I have the right to be: were we playingi n Dallas or Green Bay? I thought that on 3rd and long deep in our end of the field in the fourth, Romo was not going to be able to call the play because of the noise level!
Gosselin: I figured there'd be a huge Packer following at the game. That franchise travels well. When the Bears, Steelers and Browns played here, there were moments you felt the Cowboys were the road team. This team wins some games at home but there really isn't a home field advantage. It's more a social event for this crowd than a sporting event.

Question: The second half was so unreal yet so believable. Is that combination even possible?
Gosselin: Anything is possible with the Cowboys. Your worst nightmares as a fan become this team's realities. The Packers have been playing football for almost a century now and Sunday marked the largest deficit from which they ever rallied to win a game. The Cowboys have hit some incredible depths this season, especially defensively. Especially for a team that still can win a division title.

Question: Probably the worst play calling I have seen--ever. It shouldn't have even come down to Romo throwing interceptions. Everybody takes the blame for this one. Callahan for the play calling, Garrett for not overruling the passes, and Romo for checking out of some of the runs. You'd think they were TRYING to lose. It's just unreal.
Gosselin: I can't say it's the worst because this team rarely ever calls any runs regardless of the situation. But when your running back is averaging almost eight yards per carry -- yet there's still a 48-18 imbalance in pass-run plays, that is cause for alarm. If DeMarco Murray runs the ball 25 times in that game the Cowboys probably win. If he runs it 30 times, they probably win comfortably. But this team doesn't believe in yardage the old-fashioned way.

Reaction score
Oh right, we need a run first offense for Romo to succeed. Not a defense that ranks higher than...idk...30th.

Moron.

Reaction score
When your defense is out there for 35-40 minutes a game because the offense has no ball-control (running game) love, then chances are your defense is going to be bottom-of-the-barrel.

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
And the sad part about it is, we would pass instead of run and leave Dez out the majority of the time.

You can't make this shit up.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
When your defense is out there for 35-40 minutes a game because the offense has no ball-control (running game) love, then chances are your defense is going to be bottom-of-the-barrel.

THIS. ^^^ Those 3 and outs take their toll on any defense, both physically and with morale.

You are not going to convert on 3rd and 9, when you call a 1 yard pass play to Witten or any other receiver.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
THIS. ^^^ Those 3 and outs take their toll on any defense, both physically and with morale.

You are not going to convert on 3rd and 9, when you call a 1 yard pass play to Witten or any other receiver.

Too bad the QB we gave 100 million to still hasnt learned that despite starting since 2006

Top Bottom