yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I will really be surprised if Jerry doesn't go back to the "one player away" approach that he used after the 2007 season. The surprise success that the team had this season is only going to reenforce his belief that he has been doing a great job as GM and he should continue doing things his way.

that'll be the benchmark in determining whether things have really changed, the further he is from football decisions, the greater the chances of success

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
He got his fucking worthless 2nd TE though.

In retrospect, I believe I will regret this season, even though I feel good about it now.

A lot of things broke our way for once and I know for a fact Jerry will not understand that.

He will look at a division title and seven Pro Bowlers as a sign that only a few tweaks are needed.

We had a RB on a contract year, a head coach trying just that little bit harder to ensure he gets an extension, a gift in McClain that normally would not happen, another gift in Martin that was really option two or three in the draft (two years in a row), guys like Mincey playing way over their heads (when he really is Selvie part two), a bit of a cake schedule when it came down to it and a hell of a lot of fortune on the injury front.

This was a blessed season. Just think about things like the Williams catch in Seattle, Bryant's snag against Houston in OT, even the PI no call in the playoffs. There was a lot of luck in play here and that is not something that carries forward from season to season.

I am sure I missed some stuff, but that is pretty much it.

There's the booze we know.

I was starting to worry about you.

Reaction score
He got his fucking worthless 2nd TE though.

In retrospect, I believe I will regret this season, even though I feel good about it now.

A lot of things broke our way for once and I know for a fact Jerry will not understand that.

He will look at a division title and seven Pro Bowlers as a sign that only a few tweaks are needed.

We had a RB on a contract year, a head coach trying just that little bit harder to ensure he gets an extension, a gift in McClain that normally would not happen, another gift in Martin that was really option two or three in the draft (two years in a row), guys like Mincey playing way over their heads (when he really is Selvie part two), a bit of a cake schedule when it came down to it and a hell of a lot of fortune on the injury front.

This was a blessed season. Just think about things like the Williams catch in Seattle, Bryant's snag against Houston in OT, even the PI no call in the playoffs. There was a lot of luck in play here and that is not something that carries forward from season to season.

I am sure I missed some stuff, but that is pretty much it.

Spot on. I've been saying this for a while.

We caught a shit ton of breaks this year. Which is great if you capitalize on it. But we failed too.

I mean, all that you listed, but we also played like what? 8 games against back up or third string QBs????

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
8 games against back up or third string QBs????

Believe the number was 4, and two of those were Mark Sanchez, who many of you (and the media) were fawning over because Chip Kelly supposedly remade his career.

The other two were Colt McCoy and Austin Davis (who Fisher ended up keeping in the starting lineup for a lot of the season anyway)

Reaction score
Thought it was more but turns out we just played a number of shitty QBs this year.

Still, 1/4 of your season against second/third string QBs is a huge break.

Also played two rookie qbs.

Reaction score
Keep and use the talent you have to try to win each play, each series, and ultimately win each game. The Patriots, Packers, and Seahawks don't define by trends in the league. They manufacture victories using everything they have against the weaknesses of the other team. Jason has been allowed to waste unused strengths and keep using plays that are not working against the obvious strengths of the other team. Watching the Patriots play bully football or switch to a WCO or run their relatively non-mobile QB shows how a team should be run.

Before I post this article from ESPN keep in mind that DeMarco Murray had 53 receptions last year and 57 the year before. He is much more than a power back or a threat for a long run. He is a rare player who should not leave the field on any down, certainly for play action purposes (which all Super Bowl teams have been using over the past 10 years), to protect Romo and give a quick and dangerous safety valve.

Archer's "discovery" here is certainly nothing new. Having a player like. Murray AND using a player like Murray is the difference between having random successes and having a team that can win any series, any possession, and important games.

Monday, January 19, 2015
Cowboys might want to think twice about their power back
By Todd Archer

IRVING, Texas -- The NFL is a passing league. At least that's what we've been told.

Too often judgments are made off of what this team or that team did to make it to a Super Bowl or win a Super Bowl, as if they possessed a magic formula for success.

Some of it comes down to luck (not Andrew). Some if comes down to coaching. Some of it comes down to skill.

It still takes passing to put up points, but maybe the running game is more important than many believe.

In Sundays' NFC Championship Game, Seattle Seahawks running back Marshawn Lynch changed the tenor of the game in the second half and finished with 157 yards on 25 carries and gave his team a late lead in the fourth quarter with a rushing touchdown.

LeGarrett Blount had 30 carries for 148 yards and three touchdowns in the New England Patriots win against the Indianapolis Colts in the AFC Championship Game.

Lynch, 5-foot-11, 215 pounds, runs as hard as any back in the league. Blount, a 6-feet, 250 pounds, brings the juice in the Patriots' running game.

Before the Dallas Cowboys say goodbye to DeMarco Murray, 6-0, 217 pounds, in free agency, they need to understand the draw of the power back.

As good as the Cowboys' offensive line was in 2014 Murray made a good portion of those 1,845 yards on his own. The Cowboys' fortunes changed because of their ability to run the ball. They brought a balance.

The New England offense changed when they brought Blount back. They at least had the threat of the run to help Tom Brady throw the ball. The Seahawks are a running team that mixed in the pass.

The Cowboys' offense down the stretch had the perfect balance. If teams wanted to stop Murray, Tony Romo beat them with his arm. If teams wanted to slow down the passing game, they could take advantage with the run.

Jerry Jones said the Cowboys will be challenged in keeping Dez Bryant and Murray, but that would only be by choice. They can afford both. The question is if they want to pay a running back.

Jason Garrett has publicly stated how he feels about Murray. He talked about him in tones normally reserved for Jason Witten.

With Romo and Witten down the stretch in their careers, can the Cowboys take the chance of trying to get to a Super Bowl without Murray?

If the Cowboys were watching Sunday, they saw what a running game means.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
If there weren't other options, it'd be a no brainer. But that ultimately may be what helps us in keeping Murray, because there ARE so many other options in both free agency and the draft. I think he'd leave for substantially more money, but who is really going to pay "substantially" more money?

jnday

UDFA
Reaction score
Murray had a great year, but I think this season will end up being the best that he will ever have. I think there are several RBs that could have done just as well behind this line and maybe better. Murray has problems with fumbles, he doesn't have great vision to find running lanes and he he leaves a lot of yards on the field due to his lack of breakaway speed. Injuries are another concern. I would let him walk and never think twice about it if he wants a big money deal.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Spot on. I've been saying this for a while.

We caught a shit ton of breaks this year. Which is great if you capitalize on it. But we failed too.

I mean, all that you listed, but we also played like what? 8 games against back up or third string QBs????

We have Jason Garrett as HC, so any "breaks" we caught were neutralized by that.

Top Bottom