Reaction score
Ben Roethlisberger's 18-1 record against the Browns translates to the highest winning pct (.947) of any starting QB against a single opponent since 1950 (min 15 starts). Roger Staubach is next on the list, with a 16-1 record (.941) vs. the Giants. Next comes Tom Brady, who is 22-2 (.917) against the Bills.

For an entire decade the giants beat him once.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Those were some really terrible Giants teams though. Our defense just ate them alive every time.

VTA

UDFA
Reaction score
Those were some really terrible Giants teams though. Our defense just ate them alive every time.

They are one of the reasons I became a Cowboy fan. They were so bad and so boring to watch, there was no way I could root for the home team, simply because I was planted in the region. Stuck on Sunday's watching them and the Cards trade field goals was miserable.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I can never hate on the Giants though and I root for them in the playoffs if Dallas doesn't make it. Because if not for Wellington Mara there might never have been a Dallas Cowboys and for sure, might not have ever had Tom Landry coaching it. So I don't hate 'em like I do Philadelphia and Washington and wish them every success - against everyone but Dallas.

Talk about brain drain - Mara let Lombardi AND Landry leave for greener pastures, never one to hold anyone's career back. Giant suckage in the 70s was all about that - not having much in the way of scouting or coaching at all.

VTA

UDFA
Reaction score
Being a Cowboy fan in Giant country helped me along. ;)

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
Mike Francesa grew up a Giants fan and has nothing but admiration for Staubach and Landry. I think they hated the team or the image more than those individuals.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
I like Mike, but he keeps insisting that Jimmy benched Troy in 1989 in favor of Walsh, when in fact Troy broke his finger and got his job right back once healthy.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
even though Jimmy corrected him, Mike to this day insists that Troy was benched. unbelievable.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
even though Jimmy corrected him, Mike to this day insists that Troy was benched. unbelievable.
And he's missing or has forgotten the REAL QB controversy Jimmy did have - 1991 season continuing to start Steve Beuerlein in the playoffs vs. Detroit although the Troy Boy was healthy coming off his injury that had sidelined him for the last four games of the regular season - which Dallas won them all making Beuerlein undefeated as a starter, including the playoff win over Chicago.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
Jimmy was right to ride the hot hand, but yeah, Troy was definitely not happy. he supposedly asked to be traded in 1990.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Jimmy was right to ride the hot hand, but yeah, Troy was definitely not happy. he supposedly asked to be traded in 1990.
He got back in late in the first half of the Detroit game, Dallas was down 17-6 I believe, it was the game where Jimmy's D couldn't seem to stop Barry Sanders or Erik Kramer of all people, that day. They hung a 38 special on us, 38-6.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I like Mike, but he keeps insisting that Jimmy benched Troy in 1989 in favor of Walsh, when in fact Troy broke his finger and got his job right back once healthy.

Yeah its amazing how stupid some of these people are.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

That isn't true.

Leigh Steinberg asked Troy after the 89 season if he wanted to pursue a trade, and Aikman said no.

The next offseason there was no QB competition and Steve Walsh was traded off to the Aints before the trade deadline. (another robbery).

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I don't know what the dude's gotta have to come off that, simple google search brings up this:

Troy Ache Man Broken Finger Sidelines Dallas Qb 4-6 Weeks; Walsh To Start - Philly.com

October 02, 1989

IRVING, Texas — Dallas quarterback Troy Aikman needed a break, but not this kind.

The Cowboys' $11 million rookie fractured the index finger on his left hand in yesterday's 30-13 loss to the New York Giants.

He will undergo surgery today and will be sidelined four to six weeks.

Aikman should be recovered in time to face the Eagles on Thanksgiving Day, Nov. 23, at Texas Stadium.

Aikman suffered his injury while scrambling 8 yards for a first down in the opening quarter. The former UCLA star dived in an attempt to protect himself, but landed heavily on his left hand.

Aikman finished the series, which ended with a 19-yard field goal by Roger Ruzek. Aikman went into the locker room for X-rays and the fracture was discovered. He was replaced by fellow rookie Steve Walsh.

"I thought I could still play," said Aikman, who completed one of six pass attempts for 11 yards. "But the team physicians advised me to come out since I could possibly risk the healing process and my career."

When the injury first occurred, Aikman thought it was a simple dislocation. He asked tackle Kevin Gogan to jerk the finger back into place. Gogan, a 6-7, 310-pounder, gave the finger a good tug but nothing happened.

Nothing good, anyway.

"I gave it a hard pull like he asked," Gogan said. "I sure hope I didn't hurt it more."

The Cowboys, 0-4 and sinking fast, concur.

Aikman struggled in his first three regular-season starts (one touchdown pass, six interceptions), but he still represents the cornerstone of the Cowboys' future.

Walsh completed 13 of 24 attempts for 190 yards yesterday, but he hung several receivers out to dry with high, lazy passes. The former Miami star needs a lot of work.

After the game, coach Jimmy Johnson said the Cowboys would go with Walsh as the starter and veteran Babe Laufenberg as the backup. Johnson said the team had plans to re-sign Steve Pelluer, last year's starter who is a holdout.
Funny part about Pelluer there.... They frikkin traded his ass immediately in 1989 for a third round pick in 1990 and a fourth round pick in 1991 to KC. There wasn't any "holdout." Idiots in KC thought Pelluer was worth a 3rd and a 4th? He was picked in the 5th by Dallas in '84!

It ain't like this stuff is hard to find:

Aikman Will Be Out 4-6 Weeks After Surgery on Broken Finger - Los Angeles Times
IRVING, Tex. — Troy Aikman, the Dallas Cowboys' rookie quarterback, had four screws inserted into a broken finger in his non-passing hand Monday.

Aikman, who suffered a broken index finger on his left hand in the first period of the Dallas Cowboys' 30-13 loss to the New York Giants Sunday, will wear a cast for three weeks and is expected to be out from four to six weeks.

Aikman, the top pick in the National Football League draft from UCLA, was tackled by linebacker Carl Banks while running eight yards for a first down. He returned to the huddle and asked lineman Kevin Gogan to look at the finger.
And.... Broken Finger Idles Aikman $11 Million QB Will Wear Cast for 3 Weeks | News OK

Top Bottom