Reaction score
The drafting of Escobad lead to Theebs leaving this board and calling all of us negative names. We was just too negative for him to post with and he left. Is my memory correct?

I don't recall the specifics, but I do remember him saying that this board was too negative for him.

NoShame

UDFA
Reaction score
My high hopes for the kid in Dallas are dashed. I read one report that they had him down on the line blocking and though try as he might, he looked bad in the attempt.

His fault lies largely with Dallas; they want their TEs to be able the block so that they can move them all over the place. He might just be too tall to ever get the leverage needed. So I kind of question why Dallas took a chance on him knowing that his height might preclude him from ever being a trustworthy blocker. Trustworthy enough to where he's more than just a package player here. I'm betting Geoff Swaim sees about as much snaps as he does this year and Witten and Hanna largely keep both of them off to the side.

He may go the way of Martellus Bennett; where he moves on to an offense where they value receiving out of their TE much moreso than for their blocking.

I just hope we stop spending 2nd rounders on TEs until Witten is done for good.

I'm not giving up on Escobar yet. Still kinda early for him and I have a lot of confidence in Mike Pope. I just think he'll never be a good blocker we just gotta hope for adequate and that he becomes a very good receiving option in this offense. Like a poor man's Jimmy Graham.

Hoofbite

Draft Pick
Reaction score
He was drafted because they couldn't assume that Witten would continue to play at such a high level. It has been over 11 years now and most TE's that sustain a career begin to make their exists around that time. If Written had been hurt or began a sharp decline then he would have been very useful to Room and the passing game.

Just because we never have to use an insurance policy doesn't mean it was a bad investment.

This is likely the worst rationalization that I've seen a few of the CZ gomers use.

Who the fuck has ever heard of grooing a TE? Most QBs aren't even given time to acclimate before going onto the field.

He was drafted because the team had a hard-on for the 2TE sets. It would allow Garrett to play the ultimate game of chess against DCs and ginger had delusions of being hailed a brainiac for being able to keep every defense he faced off-balance.

Reaction score
This is likely the worst rationalization that I've seen a few of the CZ gomers use.

Who the fuck has ever heard of grooing a TE? Most QBs aren't even given time to acclimate before going onto the field.

He was drafted because the team had a hard-on for the 2TE sets. It would allow Garrett to play the ultimate game of chess against DCs and ginger had delusions of being hailed a brainiac for being able to keep every defense he faced off-balance.

It's worse than that. Who has ever heard of grooming a coach? The 2 TE set was supposed to be like the Patriots Gronk and Hernandez. But the problem is still that the difference between the teams is still the coaching. Belichick changes his offense and defense all the time sometimes within games. He does whatever it takes to win. What kills me is that Jason's annual pilgrimage to stand shoulder to shoulder with Mike Krzyzewski thinking that being near winning coaches will somehow make him a winning coach. Krzyzewski draws up situational plays, changes his coaching and style based on his talent. Having 2 TEs will do nothing unless the offense changes to use them in attack. If they end up being used as pass blocking so that the same old scheme can be used the what was the point?

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
It's worse than that. Who has ever heard of grooming a coach? The 2 TE set was supposed to be like the Patriots Gronk and Hernandez. But the problem is still that the difference between the teams is still the coaching. Belichick changes his offense and defense all the time sometimes within games. He does whatever it takes to win. What kills me is that Jason's annual pilgrimage to stand shoulder to shoulder with Mike Krzyzewski thinking that being near winning coaches will somehow make him a winning coach. Krzyzewski draws up situational plays, changes his coaching and style based on his talent. Having 2 TEs will do nothing unless the offense changes to use them in attack. If they end up being used as pass blocking so that the same old scheme can be used the what was the point?
+1.

For Garrett it's all about "the process' not actual situational awareness, not responsiveness during games - he's more concerned whether or not he has a 'family' than a actual football team.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Damn. When Bob is giving up on his pet cat Pablo, maybe it is all over.

But really, I think he shows something, too. He can catch it. Problem is like ZC said, he's just not good enough to force himself into that top 3-4-5 options on what is a loaded offense. Shouldn't have drafted him in the first place, but as Omega said, at the time we had to copy the hot trend of the Pats. Even Jerry asked the room before they pulled the trigger on him if they were sure they would actually use him unlike the other 2nd round TEs, and they assured him they would. Stupid ginger.

Also, Bennett was a great talent and it's a shame he wasn't used better. Imagine this running game with a truly great blocking TE. Too bad that everyone bought that he was a terrible human being and teammate. Again, stupid ginger and his equally inept (but less politically persuasive) brother.

Reaction score
+1.

For Garrett it's all about "the process' not actual situational awareness, not responsiveness during games - he's more concerned whether or not he has a 'family' than a actual football team.

Just watched Remember the Titans over the weekend and found things strangely familiar.

"Coach I have a few trick plays that we have used in the past."
"Tricks plays? I do not use trick plays. I have about six plays that we run. But we will run them perfect."

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Just watched Remember the Titans over the weekend and found things strangely familiar.

"Coach I have a few trick plays that we have used in the past."
"Tricks plays? I do not use trick plays. I have about six plays that we run. But we will run them perfect."
Reminds me of how Switzer at OU used to say they only pass as a "trick play." LOL

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
Escobar has his work cut out for him to make this roster. In addition to Swaim the coaches really like this undrafted TE Williamson who supposedly has been doing it up as a blocker and receiver.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Escobar has his work cut out for him to make this roster. In addition to Swaim the coaches really like this undrafted TE Williamson who supposedly has been doing it up as a blocker and receiver.

Seriously? No way they admit defeat on a second rounder this soon.

Reaction score
Broaddus Scouts take on Swaim. (Always authoritative. Haha!):

Scout’s Take:
Some initial quickness up the field.
Doesn’t have great balance as a route runner. Times when he is fighting to get out of his break.
Will catch the ball along his body, but also is able to adjust to throws behind him when on the move.
Stays after his block, but really doesn’t have much power. More hold than strike.

What's the draftable goodness here?

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
If Escobar were in Witten's role, he would no doubt IMO run up some pretty significant numbers.

The problem is there isn't enough balls to go around in the offense for him to do much in his current role. The same things happened to Fasano and Bennett. Once they left and became the #1 TE targets they posted good numbers.

Escobar can play and he while he may not be (or ever be) an elite blocker, he definitely can be a legit weapon in the passing game.

Reaction score
If Escobar were in Witten's role, he would no doubt IMO run up some pretty significant numbers.

The problem is there isn't enough balls to go around in the offense for him to do much in his current role. The same things happened to Fasano and Bennett. Once they left and became the #1 TE targets they posted good numbers.

Escobar can play and he while he may not be (or ever be) an elite blocker, he definitely can be a legit weapon in the passing game.
Completely agree. I still believe that much of the success of the offense last year had to do with playing each series for a probable or manageable first down. When Garrett gets away from that philosophy, which he does at terrible times, the offense becomes vulnerable and disorganized (Green Bay playoff game). But Escobar could be killer on third down and short for target or decoy by himself. Factor in Witten et al and third down could be highly probable.

Top Bottom