Reaction score
IRVING - The Dallas Cowboys will play Sunday in Buffalo for the first time in eight years. The last time they played there coach Jason Garrett knew he had a keeper for a starting quarterback.

You might remember the Cowboys' last game in Buffalo for Tony Romo's five interceptions in October 2007. Garrett, then in his first year as the Cowboys' offensive coordinator, remembers it for the way Romo never flinched after the five picks and led Dallas to a 25-24 win with nine points in the last 20 seconds.

"I love that game!" said Garrett, usually about as melodramatic as the team's nameless, faceless mannequin. "Tony was fantastic. For him to be able to work through that, fight through that, keep overcoming it and then make the plays at the end of the ballgame. They were big-time plays. ... I thought that was a big game for him to fight through all that."
It was the 16th start for Romo, who now has 127 starts. He won't play Sunday against the Bills - with Kellen Moore starting - because of his fractured left clavicle.

Romo led the Cowboys on a 12-play, 80-yard touchdown drive over the final four minutes that day to pull Dallas to within 24-22. The Cowboys couldn't complete a pass for the two-point conversion that would have tied the game. But Dallas recovered the onside kick with 18 seconds to play. Three plays later, Romo threw an 8-yard pass to receiver Patrick Crayton to set up Nick Folk's game-winning 53-yard field goal on Monday Night Football.

The win pushed the Cowboys to 5-0 en route to a 13-3 season. Garrett believes it's one of the turning points in Romo's career.

"Sometimes I look at things differently than most," Garrett said. "Things are going well, you get hit in the face with a shovel, how do you respond? I think there were some elements all throughout that early time there where Tony demonstrated that and our team demonstrated that. Those are huge steps for individuals and for teams."

Cowboys tight end Jason Witten recalled Thursday their last trip to Buffalo.

"What a wild game," Witten said. "It felt like everything went wrong and then it all went right. I'll never forget getting that onsides and thinking, 'We've got a chance here.' That was one that went our way that you never forget."

Top Bottom