Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Couldn't possibly have anything to do with his bad back, and lack of snaps taken in preseason. Right?

This was after the Titans game.

Garrett: Rushing Success Affected Romo’s Rhythm « CBS Dallas / Fort Worth

“Sometimes when you play quarterback and you’re running the ball a lot — and that’s the feature part of your offense — sometimes you can get out of whack a little bit because you’re not having the normal and natural rhythm that you have every week,” said Garrett with Shan & RJ on 105.3 The Fan.

But others say that Romo simply didn’t look like himself.

“Tony Romo cannot put the ball where he wants it,” said Brad Sham on the call on 105.3 The Fan.

Reaction score
Just is so opposed to being forced to run the ball despite his failing offense, Garrett is trying propaganda to temper the enthusiasm from the success of running the ball. If Dallas starts scoring rushing TDs with any more frequency, Garrett will truly look like an idiot for suppressing the running game all these years. His offense and play calling put Romo at risk. Not a great indictment with all the money invested in Romo. I heard Jason talk about how much success Dallas has had throwing the ball inside the 5 yard line. The problem with that is statistically the pure Garrett-called offense without Sparano or Callahan influence has been terrible in the red zone and has averaged only 2 TDs a game.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
And here we are nearly one year later, without a premier running back. Coincidence?
Garrett is trying propaganda to temper the enthusiasm from the success of running the ball. If Dallas starts scoring rushing TDs with any more frequency, Garrett will truly look like an idiot for suppressing the running game all these years. His offense and play calling put Romo at risk.

Reaction score
I think the quote from Omega was prescient. We ended up with the best running season in franchise history.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
This was back when they were still trying to lie to us about Tony's back, but it does go to the core of Garrett in my opinion. He's simply not a running game believer.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
This year will test that theory... on both sides.
I agree but the problem is, when it becomes clear running the ball isn't nearly the priority it was last season, people will be saying it's "because we lost Murray" and fail to realize, we don't have Murray, and didn't draft a elite RB, BECAUSE running the ball isn't a priority with a healthy Romo.

Chicken and egg, and I'm only pointing out the egg has been laid already.

Reaction score
If this team hasn't learned the importance of running the ball, after last season, they never will. And how Garrett, who played on those 90s dynasty teams, didn't already understand and appreciate this is a testament to what a book smart functional idiot he is.

Fortunately, Jerry robbed him of power and as long as Linehan is here, I doubt we'll have that problem again.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Just is so opposed to being forced to run the ball despite his failing offense, Garrett is trying propaganda to temper the enthusiasm from the success of running the ball. If Dallas starts scoring rushing TDs with any more frequency, Garrett will truly look like an idiot for suppressing the running game all these years. His offense and play calling put Romo at risk. Not a great indictment with all the money invested in Romo. I heard Jason talk about how much success Dallas has had throwing the ball inside the 5 yard line. The problem with that is statistically the pure Garrett-called offense without Sparano or Callahan influence has been terrible in the red zone and has averaged only 2 TDs a game.

I am optimistic when I read that there were plays in training camp where the pass rush came right up the middle --- where Romo is most vulnerable and would take most of the sacks, and he dumped it off/screened it to Dunbar, for a major gain. THAT is all Linehan. Garrett does not have that play in his book, and Romo takes the sack.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Fortunately, Jerry robbed him of power and as long as Linehan is here, I doubt we'll have that problem again.
We shall see. I really hope you are right but I have heavy doubt. To do what we did last year - feed one back 398 carries - you need a hard core, ingrained philosophy to DO that and you need the back to do that. Yes, we interviewed many backs pre-draft but both Jerry and Garrett went on record during the draft that drafting a RB "is not a priority."

I can only conclude it wasn't a priority because running the ball is not a planned priority with a healthy Tony. Hope that isn't the case.
I am optimistic when I read that there were plays in training camp where the pass rush came right up the middle --- where Romo is most vulnerable and would take most of the sacks, and he dumped it off/screened it to Dunbar, for a major gain. THAT is all Linehan. Garrett does not have that play in his book, and Romo takes the sack.
Yes, imagination. It's been sorely lacking.

Reaction score
I agree but the problem is, when it becomes clear running the ball isn't nearly the priority it was last season, people will be saying it's "because we lost Murray" and fail to realize, we don't have Murray, and didn't draft a elite RB, BECAUSE running the ball isn't a priority with a healthy Romo.

Chicken and egg, and I'm only pointing out the egg has been laid already.
We didn't have a chance to draft an elite RB... we had a chance to draft some guys that would have helped, but there were no more elite guys when we were on the clock.

Losing Murray hurt, but we couldn't afford to pay him what he got. Still think the team can be committed to running the ball with the guys we have. Whether they will remains to be seen.

And you should probably get used to the idea that we're not going to run the ball as much as we did last year. That was a rare occurrence by any standard... but it's not going to mean that we aren't committed to the run just because we have a couple fewer carries per game.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
And you should probably get used to the idea that we're not going to run the ball as much as we did last year. That was a rare occurrence by any standard... but it's not going to mean that we aren't committed to the run just because we have a couple fewer carries per game.

I could very well see us running the ball just as much as last year, with the exception of one back getting close to 400 carries ala Murray. Last year, only two RBs in the league had over 300 carries :Murray and McCoy. Pretty much you had to know that Murray was going to be gone, because you do not give an RB that many carries if you intend to keep him.

But I can see them running the ball just as much --- it was a winning formula, but with them divvying up the carries more than what they did last year.

Reaction score
We ran the ball 508 times last season. Here are all the Post-Landry seasons when we ran the ball 508 times or more:

2005, 2003, 1994

That's it... it only happened once with Emmitt on the roster.

I'd be happy with 425-450 attempts. That's 26-28 carries per game.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
The trick is going to be if something goes askew early in the year and running isn't working. Last year we learned early in the year that it would work if we stayed with it, but what happens when it's Randle who isn't having success? Or what if our great luck with injury on the interior doesn't hold up? Then what?

Like Mid said, at least someone with experience like Linehan is making that call now.

Reaction score
I'm not concerned with the # of run plays per se. Rather the run/pass ratio.

Before Linehan it was running 32% of the time. With Linehan it was 54%. Give me that balance. That's what I care about.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm not concerned with the # of run plays per se. Rather the run/pass ratio.

Before Linehan it was running 32% of the time. With Linehan it was 54%. Give me that balance. That's what I care about.

I guess you are too much of a wastoid to remember that the vast majority of you dolts criticized the Linehan hiring because he was "even more pass happy" during his days in Detroit

Statman

Practice Squad
Reaction score
So Garrett isn't going to run the ball as much because Murray isn't here any more...

.....Murray isn't here any more because it is believed that the newly built offensive line is given as much credit for an effective running game...

....newly built offensive line because two of the Pro Bowl peices weren't around in 2012...

....the year the Cowboys started all 5 O-linemen in positions they never played before as Cowboys. The year the Cowboys were ranked 31st in rushing yards and their average yards per carry was a dismal 3.6, ranked 30th in the NFL......

Say...you don't suppose this had anything to do with them choosing to pass the ball more frequently prior to 2014, do you? Could it be possible that the Cowboys ran less because they were really bad at it and knew it?

So Garrett was explaing how playing under a different offensive strategy than the one being employed over the past 2-3 seasons might throw your rhythm off and Sham disagreed......

Im trying to remember the team Sham played for as a quarterback in the NFL and I'm drawing a blank....how many games did he start? What college did he quarterback for again?

When Jason Garrett was quarterback coach for the Miami Dolphins, who was the offensive coordinator? So Garrett was stripped of his "powers" to call plays, you say? Who stripped Callaghan of his a season later and gave it to the guy who was offensive coordinator in Miami when Jason Garrett was the quarterback coach?

Reaction score
I guess you are too much of a wastoid to remember that the vast majority of you dolts criticized the Linehan hiring because he was "even more pass happy" during his days in Detroit

Before we hired Linehan as a play caller, Garrett had us running the ball only 32% of the time.

Once Jerry hired Linehan and stripped Garrett of play calling, we ran the ball 54% of the time.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Before we hired Linehan as a play caller, Garrett had us running the ball only 32% of the time.

Once Jerry hired Linehan and stripped Garrett of play calling, we ran the ball 54% of the time.

So the even more pass happy coordinator decided to run the ball more than the other pass happy coordinator?

Jerry probably had no fucking idea who Scott Linehan even was.

Top Bottom