dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Tony Romo should have taken one for the team

Posted Wednesday, Mar. 13, 201317
By Randy Galloway
rgalloway@star-telegram.com

We all know Tony. He doesn’t exactly fret over public perception.

Mr. Romo is gonna do what Mr. Romo is gonna do, regardless of where the perception chips may fall.

He went to Cabo that time.

And he had that “if this is the worst thing that ever happens to me  …” unfortunate quote after that elimination game in Philly a few years back.

Then, of course, there’s the golf, always the golf, and his devotion, plus skill, at that game is always a sticky issue with the CowSheep, who want the three-sixty-five kind of dedication to football.

(By the way, Romo also plays a lot of pickup basketball and even some soccer. It’s not like his non-football activity is stuck on golf, golf and more golf, or that golf is to blame for the three picks in Washington.)

But here we go again this week in the case of Tony vs. public perception.

Man, Romo could have scored some heavy public points by going “Brady” in the ongoing negotiations with Jerry Jones over a fat new quarterbacking contract.

Take one for the team, Tony. With free agency in the NFL having opened on Tuesday, why wouldn’t a soon-to-be 33-year-old quarterback with only one playoff win on his long résumé take a “team-friendly” deal, therefore allowing the cap-strapped Cowboys to free up salary-cap space to add talent around Romo?

But Tony, of course, is gonna do what Tony is gonna do.

Tuesday came and went, free agents were being signed up all over the NFL, and Jerry just sat there at Valley Ranch with his thumb up a nostril.

The Cowboys managed this week to squeeze under the cap, as required by league law, but at last count, I think they have something like 5 bucks, maybe 10, to spend on free agents.

OK, that’s one side of the public perception story.

The other side:

Tom Brady received almost biblical media praise a couple of weeks ago for agreeing to a “team-friendly” contract with his Patriots, meaning the Pats could get creative in the off-season.

Then, of course, the details of the deal came out. For his generosity, Brady still won’t miss one trendy jet-setting off-season vacation. His guaranteed money was $33 million.

Yes, the deal is structured in a team-friendly kind of way, but Tom got his.

Also, no matter what kind of deal Romo eventually signs with the Cowboys, it’s not going to open the free-agency vault for the Cowboys. He counts a whopping $16.8 million against the cap right now, but even the best kind of new contract from a team standpoint can be expected to free up only $5-plus million, maybe $6 million.

The Cowboys are still stuck in a cap trap, no matter what kind of contract Romo receives. Remember all that when the deal is eventually done and the guaranteed money for Tony reaches $40 million and probably beyond.

Regardless, the opportunity for public perception points came and went this week. Both Romo and the Cowboys could have tied a contractual agreement into the “team-friendly” message. The fandom would have loved that.

The negotiations continue, however, probably because this will be Romo’s last chance to cash in heavily and his new negotiating agent, R.J. Gonser, knows he’s being watched closely by other agents.

We can all assume there’s some hardball negotiations going on, or otherwise this deal would have been done by now. Mr. Jones has been extremely open in saying Romo will be the quarterback here for many seasons to come.

Despite that, I have suggested Mr. Jones take a new and tougher approach with Romo:

“Flacco” him.

That means, with the Cowboys already under the cap, find additional money in other ways and then tell Romo he will be playing out the final year of his current contract with no new deal.

Joe Flacco didn’t like the Ravens’ offer a year ago, played out the final year of his contract, ended up winning the Super Bowl, and last week became the richest quarterback in the league.

A “contract year” performance is usually good motivation. It would be interesting to see how Tony would handle it.

Any chance of that happening?

I loved the answer a friend close to the Romo situation gave on Wednesday:

“I’m sure that has been discussed by people at Valley Ranch, but none of those people are named Jones.”

The gamble for Jerry is if Romo had a great season and the Cowboys advanced deep in the playoffs (yes, this is pure speculation) then the quarterback could move on.

But for a team that hasn’t seen the sunny side of .500 in three years, is it really a gamble?

The fact that Tony skated this week on the opportunity to score public perception points continues a long personal trend. He doesn’t care about perception.

In reality, you won’t find a more devoted team guy. It’s just that Tony doesn’t want you to know it.

Randy Galloway can be heard 3-6 p.m. weekdays on Galloway & Co. on ESPN/103.3 FM. Randy Galloway, 817-390-7697 Twitter: @sportsdfw

Read more here: http://www.star-telegram.com/2013/03/13/4679937/tony-romo-should-have-taken-one.html#storylink=cpy

Slatemosphere

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Eh I dont blame romo. They havnt done shit for him in terms of Oline. No disrespect, but you gotta think about this team long term because they arnt doing anything short term. They should cash in and trade him.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Eh I dont blame romo. They havnt done shit for him in terms of Oline. No disrespect, but you gotta think about this team long term because they arnt doing anything short term. They should cash in and trade him.

Just because they didnt use 8 first picks on OL doesnt mean they didnt do anything. They went out and got Leonard Davis and he was dominant for a couple seasons before falling off the ledge, but they paid him big bucks. They also paid serious dollars to Adams, Colombo, Gurode and even Kosier.

They drafted Tyron Smith in the top-10 and wanted to take guys like Iupati and Unger, only to see other teams snap them up before we had a chance to get them.

I kinda agree with Galloway here. If Romo truly wants the team to improve, he could easily get a big payday and grant this team some much needed cap flexibility to improve other areas (including the OL). He has the biggest cap charge on the team right now if I'm not mistaken, at over 16 million.

Hoofbite

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Just because they didnt use 8 first picks on OL doesnt mean they didnt do anything. They went out and got Leonard Davis and he was dominant for a couple seasons before falling off the ledge, but they paid him big bucks. They also paid serious dollars to Adams, Colombo, Gurode and even Kosier.

The problem isn't that they didn't pay guys. Not that I would consider Kosier or Colombo to be high dollar guys. Add their contracts together and they bare top Gurodes and fall well short of Davis'.

The problem is they basically couldn't evaluate OL for shit and had nothing in the pipeline when those guys started to burn out at the end of 2009.

All those guys above were acquired over the course of a decade. After that, what is there?

Flozell 1998
Gurode 2002
Colombo 2005
Kosier 2006
Davis 2007

This collection was amassed over the course of like 10 years and they had maybe 1 really solid season together.

That's the problem. Over the course of a decade they basically drafted 2 guys who turned out to be guys who were worth their pick, signed 1 high dollar guy who burnt out after 3 seasons, signed a journeyman and lucked out with a reclamation project.

They drafted Tyron Smith in the top-10 and wanted to take guys like Iupati and Unger, only to see other teams snap them up before we had a chance to get them.

And then they passed on 4 good OL that followed in the 2nd round. Tyron is basically the only move that could even be considered applause worthy and given the fact that the OL was such a disaster, it's pretty much hard to shower them in praise for making the most obvious move.

If you're trying to make an argument that Dallas hasn't actually done that bad of a job in terms of the OL and you are using a decade worth of acquisitions and a single obvious draft pick as your evidence, you're failing miserably.

I kinda agree with Galloway here. If Romo truly wants the team to improve, he could easily get a big payday and grant this team some much needed cap flexibility to improve other areas (including the OL). He has the biggest cap charge on the team right now if I'm not mistaken, at over 16 million.

I don't agree with him at all. Saying Romo should sell himself short simply because the front office sucks is like saying your best employee should take a paycut because upper management is shit and spent all the payroll money on temps and interns.

Between this offseason and last offseason Dallas could have assembled an all world OL but they didn't. They chose to sink 9M in cap space on Spencer last year (and will sink more this year as the OL goes neglected) and they signed Carr. If they were serious about the OL they would have been players for one of the big name OL that were on the market last year instead of either Carr or Spencer. I actually like the Carr signing so the obvious choice for me would have been to get rid of Spencer.

Imagine if they had gone after Grubbs instead of franchising Spencer. Spencers cap hit last year alone would have more than covered the first two seasons of Grubbs contract in terms of cap allocation. This isn't even including the 4M in cap space that wouldn't have gone to Bernadette for last year and this year so that pulls us about $3M short in cap space of covering %60 of Grubbs contract.

That gets us to right now and if you consider the the price it could take to sign Spencer, Dallas could likely get both Levitre (a guy they passed on after Unger was off the board) and Winston for probably close to the same price.

Even if Levitre could get what Grubbs got, that's $36M. Winston's last contract was for a total of $22M. Given the going rate for DEs, I don't think it's out of the question to think that Spencer might end up with at least the $58M it would cost for the other two.

In essence, that's 3 quality OL that Dallas didn't get because they chose Spencer. That's why this team is stupid and that's why Romo doesn't owe them a damn thing. He's taken one for the team every damn year by having to get battered and bruised on a weekly basis because the guys in front of him just suck.

Dallas doesn't value the OL, it's been declining basically since Romo became the starter and it culminated in one of the worst rushing performances ever. Over the last 3 years this team has a combined 23 rushing TDs. That's 2 TDs better than the last place Rams over that span. 31st in rushing TDs over the past 3 seasons. This on top of the fact that it looks like Dallas has had about 24 extra trips to the redzone.

To say this team has made serious investments into the OL is just being dishonest with yourself.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I can't blame Romo at all. Jerry says insanely dumb stuff like "Romo don't need no offensive line", the team will not make many if any roster improvements outside of the draft, and the fan base puts a majority of the blame on Romo. I doubt I'd want to re-up for that either.

Can't tell you how excited I am about us going into the season with 1-year leases on Anthony Spencer ($10M) and Romo ($16M). I keep telling myself the team is going to work on cap friendly deal for both of them. Meanwhile, NFC teams that were already better than us, are improving.

Jerry's plan for improving this year are basically:
1. Bring the gang back but with raises
2. Kind of pretend like Garrett will get help calling plays
3. Hire a 70-year old DC who struggled against spread and zone read offenses in college while the teams around us are using more zone read and spread offenses.
4. Rod Marinelli

Zero accountability on this team. That and the Wizard of Oz pulling the strings. FML.

lons

UDFA
Reaction score
Romo took one for the team last time. Romo takes one for the team every year that an Oline is haphazardly thrown around him.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
Randy Galloway should stfu.

Romo takes it up the ass every year because the GM of this team thinks the offensive line isn't important. Romo can move around and stuff.

Fuck that. Get what you can, while you can, Romo.

Hoofbite

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Typically fans are always pro-team. Pro-team in this case would be taking less money because it "could" bring more guys in.

Reality is, that's just a fucking fairy tale. If Dallas got a bargain on Romo, they'd probably let Monte have first crack at a FA before they went to the OL.

It's interesting to see fans encourage a player to basically tell the team, "fuck you", because of how poorly run the organization is.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Typically fans are always pro-team. Pro-team in this case would be taking less money because it "could" bring more guys in.

He doesnt need to take "less money", he needs to sign a deal that provides cap flexibility, which we dont have now.

I believe you are one of the people clamoring that "Romo shouldnt do anything till the Cowboys show they are serious about upgrading the team" (or something of that sort). How can a FO do that though if his current contract is one of the major reasons they have no flexibility?

Cowboysrule122

Draft Pick
Reaction score
It's not Romo's fault Jerry/Stephen can't handle contracts properly. I want Tony here but if he was smart he'd see what he's worth in free agency before signing a low ball offer from us.

Take one for the team? Please....

Reaction score
Didn't bother reading the article but (or the thread) but I'm pretty sure Romo takes one for the team every snap because there's a free rusher in his face constantly.

We'd be a 5 win team without Romo, so putting any blame on Romo is BS.

Put Romo on a team with a competent team, and he has a SB ring.

Cowboysrule122

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Didn't bother reading the article but (or the thread) but I'm pretty sure Romo takes one for the team every snap because there's a free rusher in his face constantly.

We'd be a 5 win team without Romo, so putting any blame on Romo is BS.

Put Romo on a team with a competent team, and he has a SB ring.

That's exactly what I mean, he gets pounded game after game. He always takes one for the team. Pay the man.

BraveHeartFan

Spectator
Reaction score
I can't blame Romo for trying to get every dime he can right now. This is his last shot at a big contract, he knows this, and it looks like he's decided to go the route of getting everything he can. I can't fault him for that but I definately would have been pretty pleased to have seen him already sign a very cap friendly deal with the Cowboys so that they could have possibly done some moving here in FA.

Now obviously I don't want that so they could waste it on an Urlacher but if they could have been a player for some offensive line help, yeah I'd be all in for that.

Hoofbite

Draft Pick
Reaction score
He doesnt need to take "less money", he needs to sign a deal that provides cap flexibility, which we dont have now.

I believe you are one of the people clamoring that "Romo shouldnt do anything till the Cowboys show they are serious about upgrading the team" (or something of that sort). How can a FO do that though if his current contract is one of the major reasons they have no flexibility?

Because it's not the only reason. There is $123M of cap room.

They could cut ties with Spencer and sign 2 capable OL. They could have signed some last year.

superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
This article assumes we've come to Romo with a deal to loosen up space. Is there any evidence of that?

I fully support Romo telling us to fuck off, but idk that that's happened.

superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I can't blame Romo at all. Jerry says insanely dumb stuff like "Romo don't need no offensive line", the team will not make many if any roster improvements outside of the draft, and the fan base puts a majority of the blame on Romo. I doubt I'd want to re-up for that either.

Can't tell you how excited I am about us going into the season with 1-year leases on Anthony Spencer ($10M) and Romo ($16M). I keep telling myself the team is going to work on cap friendly deal for both of them. Meanwhile, NFC teams that were already better than us, are improving.

Jerry's plan for improving this year are basically:
1. Bring the gang back but with raises
2. Kind of pretend like Garrett will get help calling plays
3. Hire a 70-year old DC who struggled against spread and zone read offenses in college while the teams around us are using more zone read and spread offenses.
4. Rod Marinelli

Zero accountability on this team. That and the Wizard of Oz pulling the strings. FML.
AND I'M DEPRESSED

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
Strange column. The headline says one thing, but by the end, Galloway seems to acknowledge the futility of it all.

Top Bottom